• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Orisson - Gluten Free Choices?

momof34man

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 Camino Frances, 2018 Cotswolds
I'm hoping to get some information from other pilgrims that have food allergies who have stayed in Orisson. Are there any choices for food at Refuge Orisson that are gluten free? I've sent an email about a month ago about the same topic, but I'm thinking they are probably closed for the season. Any information would help.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just curios (My daughter is allergic to Gluten as well) whats your plan for the rest of the CDS?

Just curios (My daughter is allergic to Gluten as well) whats your plan for the rest of the CDS?

Other than bringing my epi-pen and medicine in case I get glutened. I know that I can have paella -it is gluten free. I will also have a gluten free card with me as well. http://www.celiactravel.com/cards/
I will bring a couple of staples to get me through the first couple of days. Other than that....I'm trusting that the camino will provide. I may end up eating just fruit, vegetables and cans of tuna. I am trying not to worry too much about it. I am hoping there are some food alternatives in Orisson. I'd really like to have the experience of staying there - without getting sick.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Two points:
  • I have recently had an email back from the albergue at Orisson, but they did take a few weeks to respond, which is consistent with the experiences that others have shared about them at this time of year.
  • Even if an establishment can offer a gluten free choice, you still run risks where there are products containing gluten being used for other food preparation in the same kitchen. I know that when I am making things that those at work with coeliac disease can eat, I re-clean the kitchen and do not bring out any ingredients containing gluten until I have finished preparing the gluten free items. This has worked, but clearly I could never say that my kitchen is wheat (or gluten) free. There is still some risk of contamination.

Here's maybe an alternative; IF you need an Epi-pen, your level of allergic reaction is nothing to be too casual about(as you know you can die), so. I can't emphasize this enough, do not depend on the CDS to provide a gluten free meal.
1. There are some really good allergenic GF premade meals available online for backpackers. These are gourmet good. My daughter used these before she learned how to be a really great GF cook and makes her own backpacking food. Buy some premade, and mail them ahead along the route. Thats easy to do, just takes a little more planning.
2. Some folks might rx cooking with your own pots/pans etc that you carry. As you know the problem is verifying the premade ingredients are actually GF. So, bring your own cooking pots, utensils, and cook everything fresh. Again, takes a little more planning, but, can make you the most popular peregrino around.

I'm fine with bringing my own food. I usually do that anyways because of my reaction. I wanted the Orisson experience. I'm guessing that staying in Orrison wouldn't be an option? From what I understand, you have to buy the package deal to stay there. (Bed and meal). I don't mind bringing my own food. I just don't want to be rude. Would they allow me to stay there if I don't partake in the meal?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Americanperegrino I think you forget one point, also Spanish people suffer from gluten allergies/coeliac disease. I agree that going out for a meal might be a risk, but carrying a whole kitchen with you? Or mailing premade meals ahead? I don't think that is necessary. Buen Camino, SY

If you explain the situation beforehand to them, by email, I am sure they are more than willing to let you eat your own food at the same table as the other pilgrims have their communal meal prepared by the gîte. Buen Camino, SY

If your level of alergy is extreme then it will be hard to avoid contamination from cooking utensils (as Doug documents). If your allergy is only to actually eating gluten, there are a couple of staples that will provide backup for most of the way - tortilla and , of course, paella. But also many of the "Platos Combinados" would probably be OK - usually some form of meat, salad, and eggs. You get a choice of meats so can take care to avoid any that may contain flour - such as flour dredged, crumbed or manufactured options. There is also Ensalada español in one form or another - lettuce, tomato, and various other vegetables, with hard boiled eggs and tuna.

They will all normally be served with bread, so say "sin pan - yo soy alergica"

Anyone who eats meat and eggs and dairy products is usually fine in Spain. It gets difficult if you are a vegan.

You may find that Orisson can provide a simple option for you - as suggested I'd ask in my email. The one that is probably easy for them is an ensalada mixta with atun and eggs.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

There have been several threads on the forum discussing dealing with food allergies on the Camino. A recent one includes this post which seems to confirm that Orisson are able to provide gluten-free options: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/food-allergies-on-the-camino.35627/#post-330978

If you haven't already done so, a search of the forum on "gluten" or "food allergies" should provide some helpful information from others who have had to manage these issues on the Camino.

These are really questions that only Jean-Jaques Etchandy or one of the staff could answer for a stay at Orisson. Putting it to this forum will not provide any definitive answers for you on which you can make a decision about staying there.

As to the rest of the Camino-larger towns will have a restaurants with gluten free items on the menu-the ךםבשך Tourist Information Office will be a great help, the Matias Locanda Italiana albergue in Sarria has great gluten-free menu offerings. There is an awakening gluten consciousness in Spain but it is still early days. Something like the vegetable soup with only small bits of meat floating by which surprise many vegetarians. Bread may be used to thicken soups, may be found in salads, noodles lurking everywhere. For your own peace of mind and safety, plan to cook for yourself.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
These are really questions that only Jean-Jaques Etchandy or one of the staff could answer for a stay at Orisson. Putting it to this forum will not provide any definitive answers for you on which you can make a decision about staying there.

Thanks - I put in an email to Orisson. Hoping they could shed some light for me. I want the experience of staying in Orisson, but also want to be prepared, and not offend the hosts. I asked if they have gluten free options. Now just waiting to hear back.

I'm glad that there is more of an awareness for gluten issues. I also have a card that says that I am celiac. When all else fails, I will live on fresh fruit and vegetables. Thank you for the helpful hints.

Good luck momof34man. I hope you get all this worked out and have a magnificent time on the camino. You make me feel lucky to be able to enjoy the camino without having to take such care for my health.

Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Forgot to add earlier "sin gluten" is the food label you will need to look out for in shops. Here is lengthly Spanish article about it https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieta_sin_gluten and here https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Espiga_barrada.jpg is the symbol used, also in Spain, to identify gluten-free products. As mentioned in another, unrelated thread, a good source of information are pharmacists, they can point you to shops that sell glutemn-free products and restaurants that reliably provide allergen/gluten-free meals, Buen Camino, SY

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Thank you so much for the wealth of information.

I have stayed at Orisson many times, and have seen them accommodate gluten-free guests for dinner on numerous occasions. Just be sure to tell them what you can't eat when you check in. They changed their standard pilgrim's menu this past year, to a main course of meat and potato stew over macaroni. They serve a delicious vegetarian soup to start, but that may have flour in it. Vegetarians get a nice mixed salad with a hard boiled egg as the main course, so that could be an option.

There is no problem bringing along your own food for lunch, which you can enjoy on the terrace or inside in the dining room (we've done both). And they sell food during the day at the bar, which will include some gluten-free options.

Breakfast is what really may cause you trouble. They serve bread with jam, plus coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. I always bring along yogurt, fruit, and oatmeal, all of which is available at the Carrefour supermarket in SJPP.

And be sure to pick up something for the walk from Orisson to Roncesvalles, as the only thing Orisson offers to take with you are meat and cheese sandwiches on a big brick of bread. There will likely be a food van about two hours after Orisson, where Michele or his son Sebastian sell hard boiled eggs, coffee, fruit, and sheep's cheese from their farm.

Hope that helps!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

It does help a lot! Thank you for the information. I was hoping that someone who stayed in Orisson would know about the possibility of a gluten free option. It gives me hope! Thank you also for the other ideas for breakfast as well.

Margie (momof34man)

....It appears we may be neighbors in California too.

I am coeliac and stayed at Orisson in July. I let them know at check in, no problem. The main meal was gf, I just didn't have the bread. They provided rice cakes at breakfast. the staff were very accommodating.
Buen camino.
Suzie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am coeliac and stayed at Orisson in July. I let them know at check in, no problem. The main meal was gf, I just didn't have the bread. They provided rice cakes at breakfast. the staff were very accommodating.
Buen camino.
Suzie

Suzie -
Thank you so much for responding to this post. It is SO helpful to know what your experience was being celiac and staying in Orisson.

Buen Camino!
Margie (momof34man)

I got tortilla with wheat flour in it dunring my CF. So tortilla is not always safe unfortunately. Also be careful with fish and some meat as they pan it in wheat. I had some bad experience during my caminos, it was worse on CP than on CF thou.

Actually breakfast may be a problem all along the way. So often only option is premade and prepackeged "croissant" that is not even a distant cousin of real thing. Flour and sugar. Always asked for "huevos fritos con jamon". Sometimes it worked, sometimes all that was available was the bun. Be prepared for breakfasts yourself. Especially Sunday mornings when all options are behind closed doors.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum