• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orisson & Borda

Pipesy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 30/4/24
Hello everyone, I’m starting from SJPDP 30th April but can’t get accommodation in either of the above. I’m prepared to walk through to Roncesvalles but wondered if there were any albergues ‘tucked away’ nearby? Probably a silly question I know!

Pipesy

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nope, no hidden albergues between Borda and Roncesvalles.
You could take the alternative route via Valcarlos and split your stage there or taxi back and forth on the route Napoleon. Or just walk on to Roncesvalles. It's hard but doable.

There is Honto but its only about 5 km outside of SJPDP. You could always take a cab back to SJPDP if you felt you can't go on, and or wait at Orisson to see if there are any cancellations. When I stayed there one person in my party had decided to cancel, so I was stuck with an extra reservation. However. it worked out because there was a pilgrim waiting for cancellations and she got it and I didn't lose any money. Just go to the desk and ask if there are any cancelations and they will handle it for you. You may have to wait a while, since most pilgrims do a late start from SJPDP when staying at Orisson.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
there is a small albergue at Kayola which is about a kilometre short of Orisson.. I stayed there the last time I walked the Francés. It is managed by Orisson, so you must walk up to Orisson to register and then walk back down.

i wrote to Borda earlier this year asking for a room he was booked, but this is what he wrote back to me

BUT I AM NOT ALONE WE ARE 3 ALBERGUES.

you can ask to Refuge Orisson he as 2 private room
you can also ask at Ferme Ithurburua they have great private room

maybe you can check with them, i did manage to get a room in the end so i didnt need to explore this option
Hope this is helpful
Buen camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
there is a small albergue at Kayola which is about a kilometre short of Orisson.. I stayed there the last time I walked the Francés. It is managed by Orisson, so you must walk up to Orisson to register and then walk back down.
Just out of curiosity: In which year did you stay at Kayola?

Gîte Kayola is marked as "closed" on Gronze.com and there appears to be no longer any specific mention of Kayola on the Orisson booking website, unlike several years ago when this was the case.

Hello everyone, I’m starting from SJPDP 30th April but can’t get accommodation in either of the above. I’m prepared to walk through to Roncesvalles but wondered if there were any albergues ‘tucked away’ nearby? Probably a silly question I know!

Pipesy
I was fortunate to book at Borda, but had a friend who took a taxi back to SJPDP. Seems like a good option.

Thank you Darleen

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can book two nights in SJPdP and arrange to take Express Bourricot's Mountain Shuttle, which will pick you up past orisson the first day and take you back to St Jean. The next morning they take you back to where you left off to continue on to Roncesvalles.

la-navette-du-matin(2).png

As nice as Orrison is (on a clear day) if you start early you will be there in time for a late breakfast.
The last time i walked that route i went straight to Roncesvalles and was there in time for lunch.
I think the toughest part of the day is the walk to Orrison.

You could also walk through Valcarlos. You don't have to take the Route Napoleon. There is lodging there that breaks the stage into more even segments.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I can only add that the Kayola Albergue is closed, and from the last I heard did not plan to reopen.

Others have mentioned that another possibility is to walk to Orisson/Borda and return to SJPP in taxi, and to return in the morning. For the first day, on an intense climb, this is good advice. It also means that you don’t have to worry much about long lines at the pilgrim office, as there is no real hurry to the day … you could even leave the first square blank and have them stamp it when you get back to SJPP in the afternoon.

Pipesy
you can walk to Borda or a little further, then take the afternoon shuttle back to SJPDP, sleep there and then, the next morning, let the shuttle take you back to where you were picked up the day before

Pipesy
Hi very limited Albergues over this route especially if you want to go over the mountain. But Express Bourricot which have an office just down from the Pilgrim’s Office in SJPP can organise to pick you up from the route and bring you back to a hostel for over night accommodation in SJPP then transport you back to the pick up point the next day. It works really well. Otherwise walking over from SJPP to Roscesvalles can take up to 9 hours depending on fitness levels and weather conditions. I was lucky to stay at Orrison but food was poor and I wish I’d kept walking if I’m honest.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Pipesy
When I hiked to Orrison in May 2022, I saw several taxies going back and forth. I read a few of the replies and someone mentioned a shuttle. I believe it would be fairly easy to hike up to Orrison, taxi/shuttle back down to SJPDP and then taxi/Shuttle back up the next morning to continue your Camino to Roncesvalles. Although, check to be sure there is still room in Roncesvalles!

When I hiked to Orrison in May 2022, I saw several taxies going back and forth. I read a few of the replies and someone mentioned a shuttle. I believe it would be fairly easy to hike up to Orrison, taxi/shuttle back down to SJPDP and then taxi/Shuttle back up the next morning to continue your Camino to Roncesvalles. Although, check to be sure there is still room in Roncesvalles!
You can climb up to the Biakori virgin and Donkey service can pick you up and take you down to sleep at SJPDP and the next day pick you up at your hostel and take you back up to the virgin to continue to Roncesvalles. Here are the rates:

Daily shuttle pick-up 2 - 2:30 pm at La Vierge or other location and departure the next day at 8:15 - 8:30 am in front of St Jean Pied de Port town hall.

Destination/number of people 1 to 2 people 3 to 8 people
Huntto 15€ 4€
Orisson 22€ 8€
Virgin of Biakori 30€ 11€
Croix thibault 38€ 15€

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a question about Orisson.
I've never stayed there.
This year I booked one night for one of my pilgrims, but then was able to get her into BORDA.
In the meantime, my credit card WAS charged by Orisson, but I never received a booking number or reservation number or even a confirmation.
WHen you have booked there, have they sent you at least a confirmation?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a question about Orisson.
I've never stayed there.
This year I booked one night for one of my pilgrims, but then was able to get her into BORDA.
In the meantime, my credit card WAS charged by Orisson, but I never received a booking number or reservation number or even a confirmation.
WHen you have booked there, have they sent you at least a confirmation?
Hi yes not only did they confirm but immediately refunded when I changed my booking due to my confusing dates.
If you contact them I'm sure it will be fine cheers. Michael

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.