• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona - 1 day or 2 ?

Diane2023

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hello
I am starting my Camino Frances in St Jean pied de port on April 14th , I plan to make it to Roncesvalles to stay April 15 . My question is should I plan 1 or 2 nights in Pamplona when I get there on April 16th to see sights and have a rest day ? Or can I see the sights that afternoon and continue next day on Camino ?
Thank you 🥾🥾🥾
Diane2023

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mentally I felt very “off-Camino” in Pamplona & would’ve been fine just stopping long enough for lunch. This surprised me - usually I like cities, and was excited to visit. I’d recommend playing it by ear & deciding once you’re there.

Also - your dates might be off. It’s 40 km from Roncesvalles to Pamplona - that’s a two days’ walk for most of us mortals!

Obviously, there is no right answer and people will have different things to say. I have never stayed more than one night in Pamplona, since I felt I was just getting started on the journey.

It depends on so many things - how you feel, if you have blisters that need a rest, do you want to stay with people you've met, do you want to avoid any people you've met? What sights did you want to see? Do you have a limited number of spare days to be used up?

One last question (and sorry for not giving a better answer ;)) - Do you need to make a decision now?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Mentally I felt very “off-Camino” in Pamplona & would’ve been fine just stopping long enough for lunch. This surprised me - usually I like cities, and was excited to visit. I’d recommend playing it by ear & deciding once you’re there.

This was absolutely my experience as well. Don’t get me wrong - I really liked Pamplona! We had the good fortune to wind up there during La Semana de la Croqueta (Croquetas Week) and I had a wonderful evening wandering from bar to cafe to restaurant with some fellow pilgrims, sampling different croquetas and pinxos at each one. But I had planned (and paid for) two nights in Pamplona, and was a little sad the next day to see most of my new friends moving on without me, and while there was plenty to explore I still felt it disrupted my newfound Camino momentum, coming as it did so early in the walk. You’ll have plenty of time for extra days later in the Camino if you want them (I especially enjoyed two nights in Leon and Astorga.) Maybe play it by ear (by foot?) and see how you’re feeling when you get there?

As noted above, it is a long day to Pamplona from Roncesvalles (approx 34 as far as Zabaldika and 8 more to Pamplona). It looks like you need to give it two days to reach Pamplona from Roncesvalles unless you have seven league boots...
I would suggest one night in Pamplona. It is a small city, and it is also a bit early to take a rest day. My rest days on the CF are still in the bank!
Buen camino.

Also - your dates might be off. It’s 40 km from Roncesvalles to Pamplona - that’s a two days’ walk for most of us mortals!
Thank you MichaelC 🙏
I didn’t do my homework to see how far it was from Roncesvalles 🙀I will play it by ear 🥾🥾🥾foot 😊

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As noted above, it is a long day to Pamplona from Roncesvalles (approx 34 as far as Zabaldika and 8 more to Pamplona). It looks like you need to give it two days to reach Pamplona from Roncesvalles unless you have seven league boots...
I would suggest one night in Pamplona. It is a small city, and it is also a bit early to take a rest day. My rest days on the CF are still in the bank!
Buen camino.
Thank you Kirkie !

Obviously, there is no right answer and people will have different things to say. I have never stayed more than one night in Pamplona, since I felt I was just getting started on the journey.

It depends on so many things - how you feel, if you have blisters that need a rest, do you want to stay with people you've met, do you want to avoid any people you've met? What sights did you want to see? Do you have a limited number of spare days to be used up?

One last question (and sorry for not giving a better answer ;)) - Do you need to make a decision now?
Thank you C clearly 🙏
All your questions have giving me a lot to think about . It all makes sense ! I am going to hold off making any reservations for Pamplona 😊🥾🥾🥾
Ps - I like your name … I need to see clearly 🥹

There are several places farther down the trail that I would chose to spend an extra day in. It should be based on what you are interested in seeing and doing. A wine tour adventure to Rioja from Logrono, for instance. Chill for a day in Fromista and take in several of their fine restaurants, the same goes for Leon.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I didn’t do my homework to see how far it was from Roncesvalles 🙀I will play it by ear 🥾🥾🥾foot 😊
A wise move! I occasionally walk a 40km day but I don't make a habit of it. If you walk from Roncesvalles to Pamplona in one day - and only the second day of your Camino - you might find you need a rest day there whether you actually want it or not! :)

Hello
I am starting my Camino Frances in St Jean pied de port on April 14th , I plan to make it to Roncesvalles to stay April 15 . My question is should I plan 1 or 2 nights in Pamplona when I get there on April 16th to see sights and have a rest day ? Or can I see the sights that afternoon and continue next day on Camino ?
Thank you 🥾🥾🥾
Diane2023
I think it depends on your age more than anything , I think ( for me personally ) Pamplona is the most vibrant , exciting city on the Camino and Pilgrims of a certain age will enjoy the atmosphere more than Pilgrims who are looking for a rest .
Also beware because Rest days and sightseeing often mean you end walking 2 stages that day without realising it 🤪

Most read last week in this forum

..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.