• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pancorbo to Briviesca

peregrina2000

Staff member
Thanks to Kinky's lovely photos, I am now looking at the other side of the Vasco Interior, which is actually the Via Bayona, which goes through Burgos. Just preliminarily looking at distances, routes, etc.

Right off the bat, I see that there are two alternatives for Pancorbo to Briviesca, and wonder if those of you who walked know anything about this.

https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/pancorbo-briviesca-15486993 (shorter, straighter, maybe flatter?)

https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/pancorbo-vallarta-de-bureba-briviesca-10217736 (more off road, more hills?) The author of this track admits having gotten "lost", but thinks he/she had the better walk. Uphill more, further from superhighway, etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hahaha, the second one isn't Via de Bayona. I too walked to Vallarta de Bureba because on the way through this very beautiful valley is misleading yellow arrow on a tree which I understood as to just keep going straight:
2016-06-08 13.01.41.jpg

Approx.4kms later I was in Bureba. It's possible to cut from there over the E-5 to either Zuneda or Grisalena (or to continue straight on as poster did) but as I am stubborn I wanted to know where I made a mistake and after short break I returned to that tree (there are no arrows after that tree and I did additional 8kms that day in scorching heat...) and found the arrow on the side of a little footbridge you see just after the tree on the above photo:
IMG_6265.JPG

To emphasize, if you want to stay on the Camino turn right after the tree ;)

EDIT: You can see here where the turnoff is exactly:
https://www.endomondo.com/users/16690154/workouts/742987731

Last edited:
Hahaha, the second one isn't Via de Bayona. I too walked to Vallarta de Bureba because on the way through this very beautiful valley is misleading yellow arrow on a tree which I understood as to just keep going straight:
View attachment 45008

Approx.4kms later I was in Bureba. It's possible to cut from there over the E-5 to either Zuneda or Grisalena (or to continue straight on as poster did) but as I am stubborn I wanted to know where I made a mistake and after short break I returned to that tree (there are no arrows after that tree and I did additional 8kms that day in scorching heat...) and found the arrow on the side of a little footbridge you see just after the tree on the above photo:
View attachment 45009

To emphasize, if you want to stay on the Camino turn right after the tree ;)

EDIT: You can see here where the turnoff is exactly:
https://www.endomondo.com/users/16690154/workouts/742987731
But this guy seems to think that "getting lost" put him on a prettier path, further from the highway, etc. Do you agree? I don't have any burning desire to stay on the official camino if it is more asphalt, less shade, etc.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
But this guy seems to think that "getting lost" put him on a prettier path, further from the highway, etc. Do you agree? I don't have any burning desire to stay on the official camino if it is more asphalt, less shade, etc.
There's no shade on any of the two options :D
As said I didn't walked the guys option but the official Camino (after I retraced) isn't much on asphalt either. And by no means close to highway. At least I don't remember to hear the traffic. You don't see the profile of terrain from Wiki or Endo tracks. If you choose guys option there's nothing much to stop at but my way has a very welcoming bar in Grisalena to the right just before the church.

If it helps, Laurie, here are my stages (roughly) with distances by Wikiloc. I don't have Wiki links because I didn't upload them each day and then my phone got a bug and everything was erased (the day we met in Leon). I do have Endomondo GPS tracks though but the distances are more accurate in Wiki:
BAYONNE
  • Ciboure: 26,0
  • Irun: 16,8 (42,8)
  • Hernani: 27,3 (70,1)
  • Tolosa: 20,3 (90,4)
  • Beasain: 22.9 (113,3)
  • Zegama: 16,8 (130,1)
  • Zalduondo: 16,7 (146,8) (I slept in Salvatierra though)
  • Alegria/Dulantzi: 18,9 (165,7)
  • Vitoria/Gasteiz: 20,2 (185,9)
  • La Puebla de Arganzon: 22,7 (208,6)
  • Miranda de Ebro: 18,7 (227,3)
  • Pancorbo: 17,3 (244,6)
  • Briviesca: 23,6 (268,2)
  • Monasterio de Rodilla: 19,7 (287,9)
  • Burgos: 28,6 (316,5)

Last edited:
If it helps, Laurie, here are my stages (roughly) with distances by Wikiloc. I don't have Wiki links because I didn't upload them each day and then my phone got a bug and everything was erased (the day we met in Leon). I do have Endomondo GPS tracks though but the distances are more accurate in Wiki:

Ahhh, that's the year you walked the Vasco. I was coming out of my cheap pension room in Leon (could that possibly have been 2012????), when some guy standing in the hallway turns to me and says "Laurie?" Turns out it was Kinky. Camino coincidences. :)

But back to the Vasco/Bayona. What do you think of this idea -- walk to Haro, take the GR to Miranda de Ebro (one day) and then finish up the Bayona from Miranda to Burgos. I think that means we would miss Estavillo to Miranda, would that be terrible? But the advantage would be getting to see Haro and then also carry on to Burgos. Unless Haro to Santo Domingo is stunning...... getting complicated.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ahhh, that's the year you walked the Vasco. I was coming out of my cheap pension room in Leon (could that possibly have been 2012????), when some guy standing in the hallway turns to me and says "Laurie?" Turns out it was Kinky. Camino coincidences. :)

But back to the Vasco/Bayona. What do you think of this idea -- walk to Haro, take the GR to Miranda de Ebro (one day) and then finish up the Bayona from Miranda to Burgos. I think that means we would miss Estavillo to Miranda, would that be terrible? But the advantage would be getting to see Haro and then also carry on to Burgos. Unless Haro to Santo Domingo is stunning...... getting complicated.
It was 2016 when we met ;)

I don't know about Estavillo to Haro (and Sto.Domingo) but Estavillo to Miranda isn't that special that you would need to feel any remorse. Actually it's a lot on asphalt although nice countryside. Miranda and onward is much prettier. Miranda to Pancorbo is a gem though.

It was 2016 when we met ;)

I don't know about Estavillo to Haro (and Sto.Domingo) but Estavillo to Miranda isn't that special that you would need to feel any remorse. Actually it's a lot on asphalt although nice countryside. Miranda and onward is much prettier. Miranda to Pancorbo is a gem though.

Oops, I guess I feel like I've known you forever. :) Thanks so much for all this help, I am feeling Vasco in my bones for 2019!

Oops, I guess I feel like I've known you forever. :)...
Yeah, well, you know, this happens if your moniker is Kinky. Happens to me all the time ;)

Joke aside. Bayona/Vasco is very nice Camino. A little bit too much tarmac at the beginning but you're used to that because of Norte experience I'd say. First part is more hilly and second part (after Pancorbo actually) is already descending to Meseta. So if you would have some rain as I had there would be mud in the first part, a lot of mud. And in the second part be prepared for sun and no shade. Nice albergues and nice people too.

If you choose this one (or any other one) I wish you Buen Camino!

And hope to meet someday again :)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Excellent idea! Haro deserves a visit. It offers a nice albergue aside from all the bodegas. And the pass leaving the Basque Country and entering the Rioja region offers a great view on the valley. Furthermore, the stage Haro-Santo Domingo has nothing to write home about. In fact, it's a bit of a bore.

... Furthermore, the stage Haro-Santo Domingo has nothing to write home about. In fact, it's a bit of a bore.
Actually I could say the same for Pancorbo - Burgos stretch but then again I'm a Meseta/Tierra de Campos/flat Caminos afficionado ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back