• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Parroquial in Viana closed

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Glad they are getting some work and hope there will be a few modern updates to the albergue.
Is this the one with 3 levels of bunk beds? I stayed there in 2011 and thank goodness they put me on a bottom bunk. I would not have been able to deal the 3 levels.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bother. I'd intended to stay there this May. I liked the idea of the communal meal and a mattress on the floor.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We wanted to stay there in October 2021 but it was closed - maybe due to COVID or maybe just too late in the season. I hope that the restoration work goes well and they're welcoming pilgrims before too long.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I hope they don't lose too much of what made this place special.
I had my worst Camino sleep there on my 2019 walk - an overcrowded floor, unyielding yoga mats, a cacophony of snoring and open windows due to heat allowing the hubub of Saturday night drinkers to add to the orchestra! Oh and a mouse ran across the kitchen floor while dinner was being prepared!
But I also had an excellent welcome from the two hospitaleras (both called Maria), great communal spirit among those sharing dinner and breakfast, a fascinating tour of the church archives with the parish priest and a short religious service helpfully translated into three languages by a Polish pilgrim. Great memories!

We also had a lovely time there in 2016 with two German hospitaleras. We cooked supper together. My husband swept out a little used room downstairs. We watched the children play in the plaza under the watchful eye of parents and grandparents. We had a wonderful pilgrim mass and blessing and finished the evening with singing in the choir loft. Yes, hard to sleep. I was under a table on my mat, but still a magical evening with pilgrims.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is this the one with 3 levels of bunk beds? I stayed there in 2011 and thank goodness they put me on a bottom bunk. I would not have been able to deal the 3 levels.
No, there are floor mattresses in 2 rooms upstairs.
sandi, with fond memories of my 15 day Hospitalera stay.

Most read last week in this forum