A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Path between Monasterio de Leyre and Lumbier

Camino Badges
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016, Mansill de las Mulas to Finisterre and Muxia 2017, Camino Aragones 2018
This past year in order to go from the Monasterio de Leyre and Yesa to Liedena and the Foz de Lumbier I walked along the old highway from Yesa to Liedena. It was not bad but I have wondered if there is a better way. On Wickiloc I see that hikers go on a route from the monastery descending to Lumbier making the entrance to the foz closer for an early morning visit. Photos show stunning views. Have any of you gone this way? What is the path or trail like? Would go this way alone?

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Lourdes/Burgos/SdeC 77; Frances 12,15,17; Finisterre 17; Lourdes/Aragones18; Logrono-Leon 19.
If that plan requires that you miss either Xavier Castle or Sanguesa Cathedral, than I advise against. (But then, I've never walked the Lumbier....)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016, Mansill de las Mulas to Finisterre and Muxia 2017, Camino Aragones 2018
This plan would not eliminate Xavier Castle or Sanguesa Cathedral or any of the other churches or monasteries, but would add some glorious views. You must walk through the foz de Lumbier sometime, a special place!

Camino(s) past & future
Lourdes/Burgos/SdeC 77; Frances 12,15,17; Finisterre 17; Lourdes/Aragones18; Logrono-Leon 19.
Then go for it! ... But note: After crossing the Sanguesa bridge in late May 2018, and after several days of rain, the first few klicks were as wet and boggy as the Florida Everglades! Good luck!.

(And next time I will walk through the Lumbier!)

Camino(s) past & future
Last fall I was trying hard to figure out how to include everything, hence an 11 day journey on the Aragones instead of the usual 6 stages that leave out Javier, Leyre and the foz. This alternative path is shown on the caminosantiago.org site.

Each time we repeat a route, there will always be new things to see!

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Camino(s) past & future
2019 Biarritz-Pamplona-Lourdes
2018 Aragon/Frances/Finis
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
Can you post the link to the specific wikiloc you are considering?

I’m guessing that it’s a mountain bike path as that’s popular in that region. We walked alternative paths from Pamplona through Lumbier to Sanguesa and felt safe the entire time, though I’d recommend cell access in case of emergencies since a lot of that area is seldom traveled.

Camino(s) past & future

Vacajoe

Camino(s) past & future
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
That’s quite a path, crossing over the mountains and into the backside of Lumbier, bypassing the Foz. I’ve never done that, but all the paths I followed in that region seemed very safe to me.

My only reservation would be missing the walk THROUGH the canyon as part of my journey rather than just visiting it as a side trip, but that’s MY issue to analyze 😂.

If you’ve walked the Foz, definitely try the new route! (And post pictures for those that come after you.)

Camino(s) past & future
I have every intention of walking through the canyon, just entering it from the other direction. Last fall in my efforts to plan to include everything I had to walk the old highway from Yesa to Liedena, after overnighting in Leyre. While not great, it worked. @amancio had mentioned seeing the foz early in the morning when the vultures are active, the way to do that is to overnight near by or rise really early.

Vacajoe

Camino(s) past & future
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
Interesting - you’ll walk from Lumbier to Sanguesa then? Or?!?! Walked twice through the Foz (both times in the morning) and the vultures are pretty spectacular!

Camino(s) past & future
I am currently working on my plans for the fall, nothing is set yet. Can you tell me where you stayed the night before walking through the foz?

Vacajoe

Camino(s) past & future
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
Hotel Iru Bide in Lumbier - pretty much your only choice unless the campground is open. It’s on booking.com, though sometimes their posting doesn’t work so we’ll. Emails to them went unanswered, but calling to RSVP may work. $60 US or so.
FABULOUS dinner in the restaurant there, though, and their breakfast bicadillos are the best on the Camino (the ones they put out after 9am👍).

We’ve stayed there twice and were pleased with the spacious accommodations, not that we could somewhere else. 😜

Camino(s) past & future
I agree that the Hotel Iru Bide in Lumbier is a good place to stay. I stayed there for one night in October after walking the Foz. They were originally closed for a few days break but gave me a room since it was just one person.

Was your stay when you were walking in reverse?

Vacajoe

Camino(s) past & future
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
Stayed there two times: we walked from Yesa to Lumbier in 2018 and then.Lumbier to Sanguesa in 2019.

Vacajoe

Camino(s) past & future
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
Walked to Lliedena and onto Lumbier - It’s near the brand new super highway, but you are walking on the old roadway next to it. It really wasn’t that bad and there was very little traffic. I think you posted the same route? The route across the mountains that you referenced on wikiLoc sounds fantastic though.

Camino(s) past & future
Yes, I believe that we walked the same route next to the highway. Not too bad nor too long. The link on post #8 has great maps and I printed one of the route as well as looked at the sat images. The middle part looks a little iffy on the sat view which is why I would like to hear of recent experience since I am bordering on old lady hood and walk alone. More research on wickiloc is called for, good thing that I read spanish!

An aside, you are from Sacramento?

Vacajoe

Camino(s) past & future
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
Seventh generation to live in Sacramento - VERY uncommon for California! I say walk the new route!

Pilger99

Camino(s) past & future
addicted since 1999 (Aragones, CF), lots of caminos in Spain and Portugal since then
One day I should walk the northern route (Berdún-Asso-Sigües-Esco-Tiermas-Yesa/Leyre) since they try to promote this trail again. 20 years ago I stayed in Leyre with the monks, some years later new albergues made the southern part more attractive and after a while Leyre was only a rather long detour.
The detour from Undues to Javier and Sangüesa is well marked (wooden poles) and only a short part is tarmac. Javier - Yesa is mainly road walking and Leyre another hour uphill. If you walk the mountain hike towards Lumbier you can finish with SL-NA 113, which brings you right to the tunnel entrace / Foz.
Check this Map

Asso to Sigües on the northern route should have been recently marked, if I understood some internet pages right. There should be inexpensive accomodation in Berdún. Yesa has an albergue, Leyre, Liedena and Lumbier hotel. I don't know if you can still stay in the monastery of Leyre, so I would rather stay in Yesa and then walk to Liedena on the road.
So far it is not a marked trail on the map, but most paths/tracks should be in there.

Amy Mello

Camino(s) past & future
Porto to Santiago in Sept 15
One day I should walk the northern route (Berdún-Asso-Sigües-Esco-Tiermas-Yesa/Leyre) since they try to promote this trail again. 20 years ago I stayed in Leyre with the monks, some years later new albergues made the southern part more attractive and after a while Leyre was only a rather long detour.
The detour from Undues to Javier and Sangüesa is well marked (wooden poles) and only a short part is tarmac. Javier - Yesa is mainly road walking and Leyre another hour uphill. If you walk the mountain hike towards Lumbier you can finish with SL-NA 113, which brings you right to the tunnel entrace / Foz.
Check this Map

Asso to Sigües on the northern route should have been recently marked, if I understood some internet pages right. There should be inexpensive accomodation in Berdún. Yesa has an albergue, Leyre, Liedena and Lumbier hotel. I don't know if you can still stay in the monastery of Leyre, so I would rather stay in Yesa and then walk to Liedena on the road.
So far it is not a marked trail on the map, but most paths/tracks should be in there.
Thanks for this thread and that link to a Map. I am planning to walk the northern side of there reservoir this September and I did book a room at Leyre (tho it has been recommended to cab from Berdun at least to Tiermas rather than walk north side of Yesa Reservoir). I will also hope to get lucky with water level and stop at the baths at Tiermas as well. I'm hope to walk to Sanguesa from there and then thru Foz the next day. I was wondering how well it was marked and how much of that leg would be road walking. again I really appreciate the link to the Map and will look up the Wikiloc trails.

Vacajoe

Camino(s) past & future
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
Just walked the northern route from Leyre to Artieda - it was AWFUL!!! Old route is almost completely underwater so you spend most of your time on a busy roadway with ZERO services (no water, toilet, stores, shade, etc). Tiermas and Esco are no more. Loved the idea of going the old way, but the reality was not so great.

As for Leyre, men can still stay in a spartan monk cell, but women and couples must book at the onsite hotel.

Vacajoe

Camino(s) past & future
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
Berdun to Leyre would be a very long day, so cabbing isn’t a bad idea. The Tiermas area would be a good place to start the walk to Leyre since most traffic heads back up to the superhighway at that point.

From Lumbier to Sanguesa is mostly road walking, except the Foz of course. It’s not heavily trafficked nor very far, so that makes it bearable.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
M Camino Aragonés 0
OLDER threads on this topic
between Berdun and Martes

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 155 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 259 25.0%