• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pensioners 'rule' OK?

Rev Anthony

Tony Budell
Time of past OR future Camino
April 2020
From Rev Anthony. Good evening dear friends of the Camino. I have been badgered left right and centre by a huge dose of synchronicity (Meaningful coincidence) I was in the Ardeche region of France 3 weeks ago and the owner of the 'Gite' had the 'Camino' sticker on his vehicle. On the way home, I stopped at an airbnb near Rueon and the owner was planning the 'walk' for next April. My Saturday 'Daily Telegraph' carried a 2 page article on the Camino etc etc So now at 75 I need to do it. I will attempt the 'short' Sarria Camino, probably next April. I have a replacement left knee and titanium shin bone. The right knee is a bit 'wonky' but I just HAVE to try otherwise I will never get any rest from the 'influx' of 'Synchronicity' Bless you all.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Believe me, pilgrims far older than you have done it right from st Jean. Pilgrims with well dodgy hips and knees have done it. You are several years younger than many pilgrims to whom I issued a compostela when I was volunteering in the pilgrim office recently. Why not start from st Jean, use the ubiquitous walking poles, take it easy and see how far you get before you get tired of it? And when you are tired, have a day or two off. Then restart if you want to. Or maybe go home for a few weeks, returning when you want to start again. Some people take years to do a Camino, I've seen credentias completed over several years. Best wishes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
From Rev Anthony. Good evening dear friends of the Camino. I have been badgered left right and centre by a huge dose of synchronicity (Meaningful coincidence) I was in the Ardeche region of France 3 weeks ago and the owner of the 'Gite' had the 'Camino' sticker on his vehicle. On the way home, I stopped at an airbnb near Rueon and the owner was planning the 'walk' for next April. My Saturday 'Daily Telegraph' carried a 2 page article on the Camino etc etc So now at 75 I need to do it. I will attempt the 'short' Sarria Camino, probably next April. I have a replacement left knee and titanium shin bone. The right knee is a bit 'wonky' but I just HAVE to try otherwise I will never get any rest from the 'influx' of 'Synchronicity' Bless you all.

The Camino is calling you loud and clear! ❤️🥾🥾🥾🥾

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Rev Anthony , kia ora (greetings, good health)

Given your insights came from some time in France, you could do two things that connect well with the coincidences you experienced there.

Firstly, start from Le Puy-en-Velay (about 2 hours west of Lyon by local train). You would be following in the footsteps of Bishop Godesalco of that place who started around 1,100 years ago and is credited with the first publication of a pilgrimage.

Secondly, take relatively short hops. For example, I met many French and Swiss nationals walking for 1 or 2 weeks from their annual leave.These might be for or five days walking. This way there is no obvious pressure to make a big achievement of reaching Compostela on your attempt.

I was 74 when I started and nearly 76 on reaching Compostela 18 months later [my blog (below) explains]
And I had 4 years training before starting.

To build up my stamina (both body and head) I worked up to:
a) achieving 15 km before stopping for breakfast
b) achieving 400 m of elevation gain before ...

I strongly suggest you start from Le Puy cathedral after the 7 am sending out Eucharist.
And I equally strongly suggest you don't have to walk every metre if your internal supports might be compromised. I understand the British way of doing long distance walks is for a team of at least two, you and a driver. The driver's task would include taking you past sections challenging for conditions. A first suggestion is you walk to the outskirts of Le Puy and then get driven to Sauges. From there to Nasbinal is relatively plain sailing. Of interest to me on that way was a chapel at a cross roads that was open with the book of readings open at those for the day. Again, from Nasbinal be driven to Sainte-Come-d'Olt. After Livinhac-le-Haut the route is probably easier for walking with a condition.

So, @Rev Anthony , kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

This mission, should you choose to accept it, will become self evident to you, even if it turns out to be no miracle or coincidence...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Coincidences link us to the Unknown and weave us into It.
Doug Dillon

You may not realise it yet but you’ve already taken your first steps upon your first Camino.

Walk on!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back