• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Périgueux - Mont-de-Marsan, a little worried about asphalt

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
Hello dear pilgrim friends, I have started making plans for spring 2023. I would like to walk in southern France for about 10-12 days with a friend of mine. One of the routes we are considering is the Voie de Vezelay (more or less from Périgueux southwards). As I have started digging into maps it seems like pilgrims are walking a lot on asphalt. Is this true or is it just my imagination?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is this true or is it just my imagination?
It's been a few years (2016) and I don't mind asphalt all that much (unlike my better half, but that is a seperate tragedy) and yes, quite a bit of hard surface/asphalt walking. Having said that, it is a beautiful part of France. Again, I don't mind it but thanks to my wife I know that for some it can be boring, uninspiring and ultimately painful.
Have you looked at the Voie du Puy en Velay? That would be a lot more off road.

Bon chemin!

Hello Luka! I'm so sorry for my slow reply, but as you've guessed I live near Perigueux. There is a lot of road walking, it's almost unavoidable albeit quiet roads. There are chemins too... I've not walked for a while at home but a pilgrim walked recently so could update you more. BUT... if you're in Perigueux or St Astier or environs then do message me! I would love to meet up and help you out if I can :D

Happy planning!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello @Luka
Are you aquainted with the pilgrim trail which goes between Bergerac (near Perigeux) and Rocamadour? It is splendid!

Attached below is a Pdf guide which includes maps, commentary and historical notes.

...And here´s a link to an accomodation pdf (2022) http://www.compostelle-limousin-perigord.fr/voies.php?p=m1c

Bergerac-to-Rocamadour-Hike-1-1.jpg

I walked the trail in 2020, starting at Rocamadour. From Issigeac i continued on to Castillones, connecting to the Gr 654 East -a liason between Bergerac and Montrèal-du-Gers on le Voie du Puy.

I love these trails. They are somewhat solitary, passing through nature, full of history and architectural interest.

Cheers
Lovingkindness

Attachments

• Chemin Bergerac Rocamadour-pdf_221113_191831.pdf
    15.2 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I have not walked that exact route, though I did pass through Mont-de-Marsan on my 1994, and the thing about the little tarmac roads around there is that there are virtually no motor vehicles, it's usually the kind of softer tarmac that is less arduous to walk on, and usually you can simply stride straight down the middle of the road, and occasionally just move aside for the rare vehicles passing through.

If the weather is good, it's great walking.

Thanks so much, you all! And sorry for not coming back earlier...

@Purky thanks for confirming what I already suspected. I am not so fond of road walking (my knees aren't either), but the friend I am going to walk with simply hates it. She is more the GR kind of hiker. And yes, I loved the Voie du Puy!

@LesBrass, that is so kind of you! I will think of that when around. I like the area a lot.

@lovingkindness, wow, no, I didn't know that one yet. And it looks great! Thanks for all the info, I am going to store it and seriously consider it for this walk.

@JabbaPapa for me that would probably not be that bad, but my friend finds it boring. I took her to the Mozárabe in spring and however she enjoyed herself, she found that quite boring too.

I came up with a new plan. To combine the last part of the Via Tolosana and the first part of the Camino Aragonés. With the Pyrenees in between (Col du Somport) she must find that adventurous enough. But I am also going to have a proper look at the Chemin de Rocamadour.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello @Luka
Are you aquainted with the pilgrim trail which goes between Bergerac (near Perigeux) and Rocamadour? It is splendid!

Attached below is a Pdf guide which includes maps, commentary and historical notes.

...And here´s a link to an accomodation pdf (2022) http://www.compostelle-limousin-perigord.fr/voies.php?p=m1c

View attachment 136833

I walked the trail in 2020, starting at Rocamadour. From Issigeac i continued on to Castillones, connecting to the Gr 654 East -a liason between Bergerac and Montrèal-du-Gers on le Voie du Puy.

I love these trails. They are somewhat solitary, passing through nature, full of history and architectural interest.

Cheers
Lovingkindness

@lovingkindness, thanks again so much for this great suggestion. We are going to walk this route in April! Leaving the 16th of April from Bergerac, then on to Rocamadour and from there southwards to Cahors. Can't wait!

Hello dear pilgrim friends, I have started making plans for spring 2023. I would like to walk in southern France for about 10-12 days with a friend of mine. One of the routes we are considering is the Voie de Vezelay (more or less from Périgueux southwards). As I have started digging into maps it seems like pilgrims are walking a lot on asphalt. Is this true or is it just my imagination?
Hi Luka are you enroute now? We have been very happy with the amount of trail versus road walking. We love the woods, and often one can walk on the verge along the road. But, we goofed and started on Bergerac variant from Périgueux and ended up traversing over to Saint-Astier so can't speak to the
Perigieux-Saint-Astier section. In Mussidan right now.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @Sugaree, I just got back and we chose a different route in the end, the one from Bergerac to Rocamadour. A beautiful walk, definitely recommendable. Enjoy your camino!

Hi @Sugaree, I just got back and we chose a different route in the end, the one from Bergerac to Rocamadour. A beautiful walk, definitely recommendable. Enjoy your camino!
Glad it went well. We made it to Ste Foy la Grande and started having difficulty booking accommodations ahead. We didn't want to get stuck somewhere without public transport so decided the universe had other plans for us. Stayed on in Ste Foy due to train disruptions, and will finish our vacation in a few different places. Definitely want to come back to do more, we learned a lot on this trip!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back