• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Persevering

caitlin_s

Precisely four weeks from now I will be on the plane to Espana, and boy am I excited!

BUT! I've a little niggling concern! Positivity doesn’t come naturally to me and I usually have to put a fair whack of effort into arguing myself into an optimistic and not-too-critical state of mind. So while I am looking forward to my camino and I’m 80% sure it will go well, I’m 20% concerned that faced with obstacles like physical pain or social irritations, I might give up altogether. I really don’t want that to happen so it seemed like a good idea to have planned out some persistence/perseverance strategies for moments when I want to give up and head to Mallorca for a beach holiday! (Which, to be fair, would surely have its own rewards and pleasures)

I thought I might share what I’ve come up with so far and ask others, particularly experienced pilgrims, for tips on how they carry on when things get tough.

My ideas:
1. Give myself a little time to feel sad, angry, upset, whatever, then,
• Attend to the physical contributors (tiredness, hunger, thirst) to emotional distress before making any drastic decisions to give up.
• Determine whether there’s anything I can do to address problems and do it (e.g. change equipment, stay in private rooms instead of albergues, etc.)
2. Take a few minutes to think about and visualize my ultimate goal (arriving at Finisterre)
3. Remind myself that pain and distress will pass & that most worthwhile goals are difficult to achieve
4. Think of a time in the past when I have persisted despite obstacles
5. Procrastinate! If I decide to abandon my camino I’ve promised myself I’ll take one rest day and one more day of walking before making a final decision to leave
6. Have a set on songs on my ipod that inspire a positive attitude in me
7. This last one is a bit (ok, very) cheesy but I’m thinking I might write out and carry with me a few quotes from my favourite philosophers and writers that will help inspire me to carry on.

More ideas?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No.7 is good(maybe add things that have made you do, want to do this Camino, these will get you thru' your troubles, ie have some v. good positives of yourself too :D

I have your niggles too, I think everyone has them, but for some it's horrible,
I think you are being honest & that is always best.......hiding will always get us into trouble, bailing-out @ the end of the day is not failure either, even @ this stage.

Take care Caitlin.

David

Caitlin, it helped me to think that, if I didn't finish, I could come back. In fact, I didn't finish, I didn't even try to get from Le Puy to Santiago in the ninety days visa period. I got as far as Pamplona. Next year I came back to the exact same hotel in Pamplona and simply started walking again. After Santiago I tried walking to Porto, but decided to turn round at Valenca, because I just didn't enjoy walking against the arrows. (This meant I could spend another day in a fave town, Pontevedra.) When I got back to Santiago, I decided to walk to Fisterra. I got there.

My lack of determination and solid objectives might drive some people mad. My style may not suit you at all. But, to tell the truth, if I had to keep to a big schedule, and sleep through snoring etc, I wouldn't bother - I wouldn't even be a pilgrim.

The other thing that helps me is to be aware of my status as guest of the French and Spanish. Rather than follow a quasi-international line of pilgrimage, I try to be a part of where I am, even if it's in a superficial and touristy way.

There were long periods when I walked and lived and slept with other pilgrims, and loved it. I also had long rests on my own in private accommodation. I avoid fatigue, injury, pressure, because I can't see the point. I refuse to suffer unless I'm being paid - that's called having a job.

I hope none of this comes across as criticism of others' ways of doing it. Plenty of people thrive on big schedules and the cut-and-thrust of getting a good bed and a hot shower. They can sleep superbly through stereophonic snoring. Why should such people bother with my approach?

Of course, when you're young and travelling on your own in Europe - me in 1971! - you can feel a little isolated or uncertain at times. But the Camino would have to be the very best choice of itineraries to avoid such feelings and situations. Really, you've chosen to do something wonderful. You're going to be fine.

A final, and ridiculous suggestion. For matters of health and mood, you have Saint-Roch. For matters of energy and decision, you have Saint-Jacques. Those two characters are everywhere along the trail.

Okay, getting ridiculous now.

Buen Camino

Rob

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Caitlin
I think Rob and Abbeydore have got it covered and you have given it a lot of thought as well,as far as tips-I met people who posted positive e-mails to themselves,wrote down why they where doing this thing before they started, and carried that with them.
some had friends text positive thoughts.I carried personal things to leave at various places along the way Cruz de Ferro ect and wrote a blog/journal,and shared my journey with others, which gave me strength.
800km is not a stroll in the park and there is going to be pain and intolerance of others,try not to look at the big picture and just take each day as it comes.
I can only say that I would take the quite beach at Finisterre over Mallorca anyday
Ian

Hello Caitlin:

In my opinion, motivation is a key element to walking the Camino. We are all attracted to and walk the Camino for different reason. Some for the physical challenge, others because of a personal loss, many because they are in a transition phase in their life, religious reasons, forgiveness, none of the above or all of the above.

The Camino is a physical challenge and therefore I believe the best advice on this site is to start slowly. The first day or so can have an impact on the first week until your body adjusts to walking 25km a day. Treat hot spots and injuries as soon as possible, before they become debilitating.

As far as social irritations, you are going to meet people that you find less agreeable. This is easily remedied by speeding up or slowing down your pace. There will also be many you meet whose company you will enjoy and maybe even make lifetime friendships.

Most of all, the Camino to me is a walking meditation. A daily walk through nature where one can actually be alone with their thoughts. No distractions or the daily demands and noise of the environments we left to walk the Camino.

I am not sure if you have ever seen the movie Groundhog Day but the Camino, in my opinion, is a little like that movie. You wake up everyday with another 25km or so in front of you until you discover what you are there to learn.

To paraphrase the great Philosopher Mick Jagger "The Camino might not always give you what you want but it will give you what you need. :D

Ultreya,
Joe

I think you hit the nail on the head with your first item. We are all eversomuch more resilient when we are rested, fed, and watered. One of the Camino's major lessons is Balance In All Things. And another is to Attend to One's Own Needs.

Bon chemin!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"There is a lot of 'quit' in that boy!"

I find motivation in knowing that the Camino is 100% optional. If I don't like the next step, I don't have to take another.

caitlin_s said:
2. Take a few minutes to think about and visualize my ultimate goal (arriving at Finisterre) More ideas?
One of the most useful things I read on the Forum before I left was something written by Lynne- and I carried it with me written down to refer to. She basically said to just focus on the next hill, the next rest-stop, the next step, ie instead of looking too far ahead, just achieve the little bit ahead of you, then the next little bit ahead of you- and eventually, you will reach your goal.
These were her words: "......concentrate on only the next step; and keep walking. Think about what is working well - not about your aches and pains. Don't think about the total number of kilometres you are walking. Only think about what you are walking today. Right now. Step by step, hill by hill, rest stop by rest stop - that's how you accomplish your goal."
Margaret

I think you have to give yourself permission to change your plans. I did a long hike a few years ago and it turns out I did it at the worst time of year. It was rainy all day, every day and when I'd get to the summit each day it was snowing. I couldn't see anything because of the fog. I would arrive at night covered in mud/shit from walking across grazing land in ankle deep mud. It was pretty much miserable and after 150k I called it quits because I wanted to enjoy it not remember each day as a wet misery. I made the decision after walking a 25k section that was purported to have spectacular scenery on both sides of the ridgeline which I didn't see at all because I was in clouds that limited visibility to 5 feet. So, my lesson learned was to not continue with something that makes me miserable just because it is on my to-do list. Life is too short for that. So give yourself permission to change your plans if you're not happy with something. If that means taking a couple days off or taking a bus one day or whatever, realize that life is too long to spend long periods of time being unhappy. Good luck!

PS: I will go back and finish the APR some day. I'll just do it in the summer instead of the fall. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers
If you’re walking the Camino Portugues right now I’d recommend you avoid the complementario route into Pontevedra. While it is quiet and green and follows the river, it’s also a muddy mess. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back