• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Piemont May 3

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Which route are you taking across the Pyrenees?

Thanks Vacajoe, heading from Oleron to Somport to Puenta la Reina. Rgds, Nick

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Starting the Piemont from Narbonne on May 3. Heading to Somport, joining the Frances at Logroño and on to Fisterra.
I would be very interested to hear about the Piemont section of your pilgrimage as my husband and I are considering this ourselves. Hope you have a wonderful camino.

So the Piemont to the Aragon to the Frances! Beautiful route! In May, expect the valley up to Somport to be quite wet, but wonderfully green! we reversed walked that route to Lourdes in 2019 and stayed in some wonderful accommodations, especially the pilgrim albergue in Lourdes, the monastery in Sarrance, and the donativo in Arres. The new albergue in Canfranc Pueblo is a jewel, so I hope you have a chance to stay there. If you have the time, be sure to visit San Juan de la Pena near Jaca as well as the Lumbier Gorge. All fabulous pilgrim sites.

I would be very interested to hear about the Piemont section of your pilgrimage as my husband and I are considering this ourselves. Hope you have a wonderful camino.
Thanks Kiwis, I'll let you know how I get on. Best wishes, Nick

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So the Piemont to the Aragon to the Frances! Beautiful route! In May, expect the valley up to Somport to be quite wet, but wonderfully green! we reversed walked that route to Lourdes in 2019 and stayed in some wonderful accommodations, especially the pilgrim albergue in Lourdes, the monastery in Sarrance, and the donativo in Arres. The new albergue in Canfranc Pueblo is a jewel, so I hope you have a chance to stay there. If you have the time, be sure to visit San Juan de la Pena near Jaca as well as the Lumbier Gorge. All fabulous pilgrim sites.
Thanks a lot - really handy information. Rgds, Nick

Thanks Kiwis, I'll let you know how I get on. Best wishes, Nick
Hi Kiwis, a few lines from the Chemin de Piemont …. So far so good. 1. I didn’t find a good app for this Camino so used these 2 books. The topoguide is best but only starts from Carcassonne. 2. Signposting along the route isn’t great initially but improves after Carcassonne. 3. This map track is the best I found https://www.rayyrosa.com/camino-del-piamonte/mapa-y-track/ once u get to each individual mapa you can send to Wikiloc, save it and then follow it - it works really well. 4. Don’t know whether you’ve already done a camino but this is the bible once you get close to Spain https://www.gronze.com/#todos 5. Here in Fr I’ve been staying at Gites Municipaux - mostly pretty decent. Hope these bits help. Feel free to send any ?s you might have. Bon Chemin. Nick

Attachments

• 4C702993-4B6B-43B0-9232-5CC94920736A.jpeg
    4C702993-4B6B-43B0-9232-5CC94920736A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 034FFAAA-2D96-4281-9E2B-24B7805AA052.jpeg
    034FFAAA-2D96-4281-9E2B-24B7805AA052.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Nick @NickJM, thanks so much for taking the time while walking to share with us, we really appreciate this. The links look good, we'll certainly study them well. We have walked the Camino Frances but didn't use Gronze but certainly will for the later part of the Piemont, as well as any other future camino/chemin. We have ordered the Topo Guide as in your photo and have the Lepere guidebook La Voie des Piemonts entre Cevennes et Pyrenees, but we didn't know about the guidebook you have - must check it out. Good to hear that you have been able to use the Gites Municipaux. How did you get on between Narbonne and Carcassonne with both route and accommodation? Did you go north along the canals or south via Lagrasse? Please don't feel you have to reply while still on the chemin though - you will be busy enough. Thanks once again for taking the time to share your info. Keep going well. Bon chemin. Marilyn & Jeff, the Kiwis.

Hi Nick @NickJM, thanks so much for taking the time while walking to share with us, we really appreciate this. The links look good, we'll certainly study them well. We have walked the Camino Frances but didn't use Gronze but certainly will for the later part of the Piemont, as well as any other future camino/chemin. We have ordered the Topo Guide as in your photo and have the Lepere guidebook La Voie des Piemonts entre Cevennes et Pyrenees, but we didn't know about the guidebook you have - must check it out. Good to hear that you have been able to use the Gites Municipaux. How did you get on between Narbonne and Carcassonne with both route and accommodation? Did you go north along the canals or south via Lagrasse? Please don't feel you have to reply while still on the chemin though - you will be busy enough. Thanks once again for taking the time to share your info. Keep going well. Bon chemin. Marilyn & Jeff, the Kiwis.
Hi Marilyn and Jeff. A few lines in response. 1. The lepere book is the best - I wish I had it - you won’t need any others 2. The route from Narbonne to Carcassonne was a little bleak and very windy (think flying in to Wellington when it’s really blowing!). I only started at Narbonne to have a swim first day out. 3. Things are much more interesting after Carcassonne. 4. At Lagrasse stayed at a nice place called ‘aux milles delices’ 5. In general I’ve found a shocking (!) shortage of open bars and restos along the way (it’s france for crying out loud) so have adjusted my route around an open lunch spot. I am doing about 28k a day so need a proper midday break. Don’t know when you are planning on traveling but it’s been v hot so walking at 12.30-14.30 isn’t a great idea. 6. There are a few places I wished I’d stayed at and didn’t - eg mirepoix, St Lary, and others - Pamiers, Nestier, etc, where I did and wished I hadn’t. Win some lose some. Montreal, Porte d’Aspet and St Pe d’Ardet we’re gems. 7. If you do adjust your route look out for Vois Vertes (see pix) - only for hikers bikers and horseriders - so useful tracks that have tend to link smaller towns. 8. You probably already know this but restaurants often are closed from Sunday lunchtime until Tuesday night or even Wednesday lunch so do check details in advance. 9. When r u traveling? Good luck and come back to me if you have any ?s. Nick ps as you’re from a snake free zone thought you might like the other pix - it was harmless!

Attachments

• CCB07813-A532-4481-8524-D1759B8C4AC7.jpeg
    CCB07813-A532-4481-8524-D1759B8C4AC7.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 8807C956-62EE-4725-A4AB-4E0F67E358F5.jpeg
    8807C956-62EE-4725-A4AB-4E0F67E358F5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Hi Nick @NickJM,
Wow, thanks for taking the time to message again with these great tips and information. We really appreciate it as we know how busy day to day life is when walking a Camino, or in your case, a Chemin. You obviously know Wellington well to know what it's like to fly in on a windy day, so point taken. Also, thanks for the snake photo - as you know us Kiwis aren't used to seeing them 🙄
You asked when we're travelling - we're hoping to start in September however there are a couple of things going on here at home that may cause us delay until April ...but we hope not.
We didn't know about the voie vertes so we will definitely look out for them thanks as from what you say it sounds as though they would take us through to smaller towns. We were aware of the fact that from Sunday to Tuesday or Wednesday things may be shut so will have to carry some supplies.
We do have some questions but please only reply if/when you get some time.
Firstly we would like to know how you are booking your accommodation. Are you booking ahead a few days at a time or did you pre book the whole way. If you are booking on the go do you book by phone, WhatsApp or email - or are you getting locals to book for you? Do you speak French? You said that you are mainly using Gites Municipaux - have you found any accommodation by contacting the mairies in towns or villages that don't offer gites?
Another query is to do with what phone system are you using. We used international roaming supplied by our NZ provider, topping up the data with them as we walked the Camino Frances. What is the best data system for the chemin do you think?
Hope there aren't too many questions here. Please don't feel the need to rush to reply.
Kia kaha and bon chemin, Marilyn & Jeff.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.