• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

pilgrim introduction

brumbrum

Hola! Hello, I'm Brumbrum, male 55, I live in the southwest of Finland.I plan to walk the Camino Frances starting in march 08. Since I made the decision, booked the flight etc, early october last year, I've been reading these pages and I wish to express my gratitude to everyone for their contributions. The information has been vital in helping me plan my first Camino. As I have a lot of experience of hiking in the wilderness of northern scandinavia it's interesting to plan a completely different kind of journey. The main question being what to leave in and what to leave out, as the pack is supposed to weigh about half of what is normal in Lapland.
Luckily we have had a mild vinter so far so the conditions for training has been fairly good. Of course a bit of hiking in a sleetstorm only strenghtens your determination. I guess the weather can't be much worse down in Spain in springtime.

Brumbrum

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome to the forum Brumbrum!

It sounds like you are ready for your walk. I am happy to hear that the forum is useful in your planning.

Buen camino!
Ivar

Hi Brumbrum,
I'll be starting my camino in March as well, around the 27th or 28th from Roncesvalles. I agree with you; this site has provided a wealth of information that has really help in my planning. Well, buen camino to you. Maybe we'll meet along the way.
Arlene

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Brumbrum,

Welcome...you are now officially a member of the Class of 2008!

Your experience and insight will be of great value as you make your Camino. I hope to see you somewhere along the Way.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Hola, Hello, Bonjour.
We are Ken and Liliane Jones from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. We are doing the comino with another couple Diane and Marcel Paquette from Quebec. We will start our walk from Bayonne, France to St. Jean Pied de Port then across Spain. We will arrive in Bayonne on April the 18th, 2008. We are retired couples and have been training for the walk for the past year. I am glad that we have found this site and will be posting some questions and look forward to your replies. Our first question is, are there hostels that we can stay from Bayonne to St. Jean Pied de Port? We would like to know the distance between the above two destinations. This is our first time walking the comino. We intend to walk to Finnisterre. After our walk we will be spending three weeks in Portugal.

Ken & Liliane

Ken and Liliane...welcome to the Class of 2008,

It looks as though we will have nearly a platoon of peregrinos starting from SJPP at the same time...how great is that!

You're entirely correct that there's a lot of "solid" info on this forum from folks that have made either many Caminos, or walked the Milky Way but once, realizing it's been a life changing experience.

May I commend to you the Class of 2008 thread which offers good info on those starting at the same time as you. In addition, there are threads that cover everything from bed bugs to the best Vinotinto to be found.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ken Jones said:
Our first question is, are there hostels that we can stay from Bayonne to St. Jean Pied de Port? We would like to know the distance between the above two destinations.

I had planned to start in Bordeaux when I walked the Camino in the summer of 07. However, when I got there I found that my guidebook was less than adequate for that region - no maps or specific guidelines (and as an inexperienced walker, I needed that security blanket). So after spending a couple days in Bordeaux exploring and shopping (there's a lot of pilgrim history there - indeed, I got my credencial and first stamp in the tourist office by the train station), I hopped a train to Bayonne and spent the night there in a hotel before continuing on to St. Jean. It's a nice town, and it had a large sporting goods store where I found a nice zip-up poncho and some bicycling gloves (I walked, but I figured the gloves would protect my hands in case I fell, and help me keep a good grip on my trekking poles).

The next day at the Bayonne train station I met my first pilgrims - two young guys from Austria. We talked while riding the train to St. Jean. It seems they ended up sleeping outside during their night in Bayonne. I can't remember if it was due to their austere budget, or because they arrived in town late. But either way, you'll want to find out more about hostel-type accomodations (or even albergues) in Bayonne. And if you arrive in Bayonne and decide not to stay, St. Jean is not far by train...and it certainly has albergues, hotels, and rooms for rent to pilgrims.

One thing: If you plan to walk all the way from St. Jean to Roncesvalles, you should start before 10AM (as recommended by my guidebook and the folks in the pilgrim office at St. Jean) - otherwise you risk darkness during the last portion of the stage, especially if you are slow. :arrow:

vinotinto wrote:the gloves would protect my hands in case I fell

Always looking ahead is our Vinotinto. I'm sure the gloves protected his hands as he made his way back to the albergue following an evening trying to live up to his name.

I've found gloves especially helpful when twisting the cap off a cerveza that doesn't have a twist off cap. :lol:

Buen Camino,
Arn

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.