• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning for 2010

crhutch

Time of past OR future Camino
(2010) March/April SJPP to Santiago and hence to Finisterre
(2016) Hospitalero Grañón 15-31 March
(2016) April Logroño to Santiago
(2017) Hospitalero Zamora 15-31 March
(2017) Hospilatero Emaus, Burgos 1-14 April
Hi, My wife is retiring in late 2009 and we are planning to walk the pilgrmamge from Saint Jean Pied de Port to
Santiago Del Compostella. I am new to this forum and am hoping I can benefit from other's experience in preparing for our pilgrimage. After walking the Camino we plan on spending a few months traveling through Spain and Italy. I am hoping we can meet folks who have done this before.

One of my concerns is how does one manage their banking, bills and their empty home while on such a quest. Another concern is that 2010 is a Holy Year and from all the reading I have done the Camino will be very crowded. We plan to carry a tent with me but I have not read much about people being able to set up a tent when the refugios are full.

I have many more questions but I will ask a little at a time.

Thanks to all.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
cr,

We set our bill paying up on line through Bank of America. Those that were not automatic, were easily handled on line in a short amout of time. Many rafuigos had service and internet cafes were even in the smallest of towns.

Home - We had friends, really good and supportive friends, offer to come by and check on it and our pets (one dog, one insede cat, 9 outside cats, and countless, birds, deer, skunks, etc.). They worked out a schedule. One came by in the mornings, one the afternoors/evenings. One took our dog to her house for a week. Another took him for another week. I put in a doggie door for the tween times.

I set up with my son-in-law, authorty for him to conduct any business that may come up, and control over our banking too, since he is our investment advisor, it was an easy thing.

I am sure God will guide you, as you have plenty of time to work out the logistics.

As to the crowds...I have no idea, I expect it will be crowed, but also be a once in a lifetime experience.
Ivar will probably keep his finger on the pulse, as will others.

What matters most in you journey is how deeply you see, how attentively you hear, how richly the environments are felt in your heart and soul. - Phil Cousineau, The Art of Pilgrimage.

Buen Camino,
Jerry

Hello:

I did the Camino from July-August of 2007 from St. Jean to Santiago.

Like the previous poster, I did a combination of automatic billpay and online banking. There are a number of public access internet terminals along the way, although they are more common in some areas than others (cities and larger towns had more computers, places on the meseta and in the mountains had less).

As for tenting it - I didn't see a whole lot of folks doing that. I never had a problem getting a bed, although I usually checked into an albergue between 12 - 3 PM. The later you arrive, the more likely they'll be full. However, the folks running the albergues seemed to be able to find accomodations for tired pilgrims who arrived later in the evening. You may end up sleeping on the floor or in an overflow area (like a gym floor or secondary room). Some albergues even had their own tents.

That said, I did see one pilgrim with a tent. He said it came in handy during the last 100 kilometers - that's when the Camino gets really crowded with tourist-types (100k is the minimum distance one can walk and still get a compostela at Santiago). We both agreed that the character of the Camino seemed to change at that point, and using the tent made him feel like he was on "the old Camino."

Since you are doing it in a holy year, that will make things even more crowded - especially in that last 100k. So, perhaps a tent will be nice. But don't overburden yourself - much more than 10k in your pack, and you'll feel it, especially in the mountains.

Anyway, I hope the Way will be everything you hope it will be - buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back