• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plantar Fasciitis

Tezza

Time of past OR future Camino
Sanabres 2021
Hola! I returned a few days ago from walking a section of the del Norte (Irun to Santander). I arranged to do this with my adult son as he was going to be close to that area and I really wanted to spend some time with him. I had suddenly developed plantar fasciitis in one foot a few weeks before (seemingly no particular cause, or many complex causes) - severe heel pain, unable to walk even short distances - but convinced myself I would overcome it! I had 4 weeks to fix it!! Arrgghh... As the weeks went on I became increasing anxious that I would be in too much pain to walk and that I'd been stupidly optimistic, since everything I read said it takes months for this to settle. I thought I'd let others know about my experience in case it helps them. I took as much advice as I could, from physio and online and tried different things. Of course, this was my experience and everyone is different...

I did basic physio exercises (from NHS physio) - sitting feet flat on floor, lifting heels then lifting toes, many, many times a day, for days, and toe scrunching, which seemed to help a lot, in taking the pain from excruciating to...less excruciating!

I started off doing a lot of calf stretches and other stretches but stopped doing this so much as it didn't seem to help, and maybe exacerbated things.

I read that it was a good idea to walk on uneven ground and varying surfaces, so I managed to find somewhere in flat Norfolk to do this (yes, it's hard to train for hills where I live!) and after only an hour or so of walking on this type of ground I already felt a big improvement. Also smaller steps (I tend to stride).

I ditched the orthotics I was using (for surgery on my other foot a year ago) and got ones (3/4) with much lower arch support. This made a massive difference straight away.

I walked about a mile or two every day - very painful to start with, then eased off after about 10 mins, then painful again, but just kept walking through it.

Then I went to Spain! I walked and walked. (The physio had reassured me that using the foot was not going to cause any severe or long term damage). I had pain but the pain became much less (sometimes intense but less often) the longer I walked. Sometimes the blister pain was worse than the PF pain! Definitely the uneven surfaces were better - after long road walks or flat walks (not many on the Norte anyway!) it was worse. In 15 days of walking I had to take 2 rest days but otherwise I managed pretty well. Had a brilliant time and so pleased I didn't cancel. I don't know how long it will take to completely go away but it's a LOT better now than when I began the camino.

Buen camino one and all!
Terri

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's funny how things work out isn't it?

In preparing for my last Camino I had all kinds of foot / knee issues.

1. plantar fasciitis
  2. achilles tendonitis
  3. bursitis in the knees
  4. split meniscus in one knee
I did stretches, went to physio, had cortisone injections, got new custom orthotics.

I expected 'something' to go wrong and stop me partway...........

Nothing did. Not even a single blister. (I solved those a long time ago)

And yet now I've been home 3 weeks. All those aches and pains are creeping back............

Maybe the constant 'careful' exercise is actually good for us! :rolleyes:

I had history of recurring PF that flared on the Primitivo 2 yrs ago. I had been using insoles for PF at the time. I taped my foot per youtube instructions. Bad idea as this ended up causing a Mortons neuroma and worse pain. I finished but not without pain. Since then I was told zero drop shoes like Altras are good for PF. Plus they have a wide toe box which is recommended for Mortons neuroma. I have not had problems since changing to Altra Olympus and just finished the CP without any pain!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Long calf stretches and time
I have suffered with PF for many years
I now just stretch and get on with it, yes painful days sometimes but usually just a niggling pain
You soon get over it

It's funny how things work out isn't it?

In preparing for my last Camino I had all kinds of foot / knee issues.

1. plantar fasciitis
  2. achilles tendonitis
  3. bursitis in the knees
  4. split meniscus in one knee
I did stretches, went to physio, had cortisone injections, got new custom orthotics.

I expected 'something' to go wrong and stop me partway...........

Nothing did. Not even a single blister. (I solved those a long time ago)

And yet now I've been home 3 weeks. All those aches and pains are creeping back............

Maybe the constant 'careful' exercise is actually good for us! :rolleyes:

Robo, you mentioned that you solved your blister problems. Can I ask what did you do to address the blister problem?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for sharing your helpful advice. Wish I had seen this in my first Camino. I experienced multiple blisters on each foot.
It was extremely painful.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.