• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Plaque about witches--- anyone see it?

htgute

Supposedly there is a plaque about witches just outside of Roncevalles-- has anyone seen it? Is it in English?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No, it´s not in English. And it is, I think, in Berruguete or the next town down the mountain. I don´t remember the details, but the plaques (one is on the trail, the other is outside the church) tell about a sort of "witch craze" that swept the area in the 18th century? and cost a couple of lives before the monks at Roncesvalles spoke up against the hysteria and saved the lives of several more accused women. In 2010 the turismo had maps of a "witch route" you could drive around to local towns and see where the supposed devil worship, etc. went on. I bet you can find more info online. Maybe I will take a look myself... I remember thinking it was a pretty interesting little sidelight.

Reb.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum