• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Must see or favorite sites

lisaandkids

Time of past OR future Camino
may 2024
Hi Everyone,

I had so many positive responses to my last post I thought I would ask about must see or favorite sites. As some of you may have read, it would be my young adult daughters and I walking the last 100 miles (not km) in late May of 2024. I've hesitated to ask this question as it might be considered as "cheating" but given the positive responses to my other post I thought I would give it a try. I'm not in the best of health and anticipate walking 9 miles a day for around 10 or 11 days. I read of someone starting farther back to see some interesting sites and then taking a taxi to the actual starting point of our walk. This was not on this forum. People were derisive of this plan but I think it would be great for us and allow us to see a tiny bit more of Spain and the Camino. Would anyone care to share a favorite site not too far back from our starting point, which would be either O Cerebrio or Triacastela that we should consider?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Many things to see along the Camino. I'm taking a student group on the last 100 km that you plan to walk later this month and we hope to see the following.

There's an Iron Age Hill Fort at Castro between Portomarin and Palas de Rei (free and you just walk a little detour off the Camino. The path rejoins on the other side.)

Vila de Donas is an old church with beautiful Romanesque art near Palas de Rei.

Pembre Castle is a taxi ride from Melide. It is a fortress castle (not a princess one)

Culturally- Eat some cheese in Arzua. Cheesemakers there win awards every year for their cheeses.
-Stop in Melide and eat at one of the Pulporias (usually a lot less expensive than in Santiago.)

Also many things to see and do in Santiago. Enjoy a cathedral tour, walk in the Alameda Park, go to the Abastos Market, etc.

I don't know how far back up the Camino you want to go. Before Sarria you could consider visiting Ponferrada which has a restored Templers castle. Astorga has several neat things to see such as a Bishop's House by Gaudi, a display of a Roman home in one of the open plazas (covered with glass so you can see the floor tiles), and the Chocolate Museum. Samos past Tricastela has the monastery.

Mostly it is just a lovely walk through little towns. It's all pretty awesome.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I read of someone starting farther back to see some interesting sites and then taking a taxi to the actual starting point of our walk. This was not on this forum. People were derisive of this plan
Those people were ignorant, or trolling. If you are allowed to "start" at a place of your choice that meets the requirements for a compostela (if you want one), then it is ridiculous to say that you are not allowed to do something in the week before you "start" your Camino. If you walk from O Cebreiro to Santiago, then that is your pilgrimage. If you claim to have walked from some other place, as if it were part of your Camino, and that is not true, then it would be a lie, and maybe qualify as "cheating." But there is no logic in saying that you should not visit some place en route to starting your Camino, unless they insist that you must walk from home,

I read of someone starting farther back to see some interesting sites and then taking a taxi to the actual starting point of our walk. This was not on this forum. People were derisive of this plan but I think it would be great for us and allow us to see a tiny bit more of Spain and the Camino.

I think that's a good idea. Just don't add so many of those "must see" sites to your list that you don't have time for the Camino! 😉

Hi Everyone,

I had so many positive responses to my last post I thought I would ask about must see or favorite sites. As some of you may have read, it would be my young adult daughters and I walking the last 100 miles (not km) in late May of 2024. I've hesitated to ask this question as it might be considered as "cheating" but given the positive responses to my other post I thought I would give it a try. I'm not in the best of health and anticipate walking 9 miles a day for around 10 or 11 days. I read of someone starting farther back to see some interesting sites and then taking a taxi to the actual starting point of our walk. This was not on this forum. People were derisive of this plan but I think it would be great for us and allow us to see a tiny bit more of Spain and the Camino. Would anyone care to share a favorite site not too far back from our starting point, which would be either O'Cerebrio or Triacastela that we should consider?
Do your Camino as you want. Coming from far away, it is no surprise you want to experience as much as you can: It is an expensive journey for you.

One issue: Europe, and Greece/Spain/Italy in particular, are countries packed with ancient wonders, way beyond imagination. You coming from America, is part of it: Your country was not "discovered" until 1492; or rather, the people from my country (Norway) visited in ca. 1000 AD. And we were also just foreigners. So you are all descendants of European cultures. Welcome to the club.

There are so many breathtaking places in these countries so it is hard to recommend any: You will literally walk through history on your Camino, whichever Camino you choose. Spend your time wisely, and explore.

The Camino will always be there; It does not change. It is there for you when you need it.

To give you an example: The city of Merida on the VdlP was a retreat for Roman pensioned legioners 2000 years ago. Still intact.:

But there are ancient monuments all over Spain. I'll leave you to explore and plan your journey.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Two years ago we divided up our time in Spain three ways. We walked for a couple of weeks, we were volunteers for a couple of weeks, and we traveled to places in Spain we had not seen or experienced for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately it was extremely hot and we didn't enjoy our travel as much as we might of liked and we managed to catch Covid and were sick for more than 10 days, too. Planning is fun, but sometimes the plan just goes out the window and you have to make the best of it.

Hi!
First, please do and see whatever you wish to do and see on the Camino. Taxis are fine if that gets you to where you want to go.The only "rule" is , if you want a Compostella, you must walk the last 100km's.

The Camino will lead you to many interesting places, right on (or very near) the path. J Willhaus has made several excellent suggestions and boy! does she know the CF!

In my Pilgrimage, I found I was so focused on the Camino and the people that I did not use the opportunity to go "off Camino" to explore. I felt like being in the moment each day was more than enough. But many people do and I say go for it!

Buen Camino!

I must add... It rained everyday for the last 2 wks so the weather was not conducive to exploration! A thousand years of history was everywhere - right in front of me -

However - I found Burgos to be wonderful - loved the plaza area, the narrow streets, cafes and of course the cathedral. Leon was a bit overwhelming but the cathedral there is magnificent and the little streets & shops are like a maze (easy to lose your way).

The non-touristy little villages with hardly any people, but with so much history held within the slowly-deteriorating buildings, spurred my imagination and challenged my values. Who had lived there? What was life in the village like for those still there? What is next for the economically challenged rural areas? What about the rural areas in the US? In a hundred years (or less) will our little towns be in the same situation (if they aren't already). What are the surviving / thriving small Spanish towns doing right? Can that be duplicated?

Anyway - I digress -

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm wondering what interests you. Are you looking for spectacular scenery or medieval castles or art galleries or ancient ruins or working monasteries or....?

I really wish I went into more cathedrals specifically Burgos and Leon. Also wish I went in the Gaudi church at Astorga. And maybe more of the little old churches along the way. I’m not even religious but I don’t have that kind of stuff where I live (California).

Thank you everyone for your comments!

Kiwi-family asked about interests. We would really like to see a medieval castle but other than that, we are open to suggestions, although we aren't art museum people. As someone on the forum pointed out, our American cities aren't old so seeing very old cities would be interesting (but I think JWillhaus pointed out that those are all over the Camino). Our interests are quite varied. For instance, in Egypt we found some of the lesser known sites to be fascinating and in Honduras we had great fun playing with a plant that closed it's leaves when you touched it. I've found that it's good to ask other people what they find fascinating rather than just go to what we think we might like.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It’s only cheating if you think it is. People will say things like “it’s your Camino!” Then look down their noses at you for things like taking cabs or not carrying your pack. It’s Your Way! Don’t let the rules and restrictions of others reflect on your walk. Enjoy! Sounds like a great idea.

Hi Everyone,

I had so many positive responses to my last post I thought I would ask about must see or favorite sites. As some of you may have read, it would be my young adult daughters and I walking the last 100 miles (not km) in late May of 2024. I've hesitated to ask this question as it might be considered as "cheating" but given the positive responses to my other post I thought I would give it a try. I'm not in the best of health and anticipate walking 9 miles a day for around 10 or 11 days. I read of someone starting farther back to see some interesting sites and then taking a taxi to the actual starting point of our walk. This was not on this forum. People were derisive of this plan but I think it would be great for us and allow us to see a tiny bit more of Spain and the Camino. Would anyone care to share a favorite site not too far back from our starting point, which would be either O Cerebrio or Triacastela that we should consider?
Certainly Ocebrero, Tricastela and Samos are beautiful additions to seeing Galicia. Note that they have limited access by public transportation (it can be done). If you have the time perhaps stay in each town or coordinate with a Taxi company to walk and connect as you go.

A new "must see, must do" activity for pilgrims is "Laberinto del Camino" located in Palas de Rei. Installed in May 2022, Laberinto del Camino was created and developed by American, Peter Hlavin (aka I Am Journeyman), in collaboration with Concello de Palas de Rei. This "Labyrinth of The Way" is a uniquely-designed labyrinth that incorporates two major symbols of the Camino - scallop shell and arrow. The arrow tip points directly at Santiago de Compostela.

IMG_0450 5.jpg

Upon entering Palas de Rei, you will be presented with a sweeping view of Os Chacotes park (on your left). Follow the Camino Frances path 200 meters, obtain a credential stamp at the booth, continue walking 25 meters, take a left at the intersection and proceed 75 meters down a dirt path (less than one minute walk off the Camino Frances path). You will pass by 12 stone slabs (known as "The 12 Apostles"). After walking through a wooden gate, Laberinto del Camino will greet you. Breathe in peace. Breathe out love.

From the Palas de Rei village center, it's a short 10-minute walk, backtracking (heading east) on the Camino Frances path.

Laberinto del Camino's two-year anniversary will be celebrated in Palas de Rei on May 16-17, 2024. Stop by and say hello! For more information, check out www.iamjourneyman.com. Buen Laberinto!

P.S. Laberinto is now referenced in John Brierley's Camino guidebook, the Buen Camino app, and Google Maps (type in "Laberinto del Camino").

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I really wish I went into more cathedrals specifically Burgos and Leon. Also wish I went in the Gaudi church at Astorga. And maybe more of the little old churches along the way. I’m not even religious but I don’t have that kind of stuff where I live (California).
We have our Missions in California!

The Roman city walls in Lugo? An astonishing piece of civil engineering I had no idea existed until I walked the Primitivo. If you do visit then take the chance to walk the circuit around the top.
I had a group over with me in September walking Sarria to Santiago and we had some extra time so spend a morning in Lugo which I highly recommend. The walls were amazing and you can walk as much or as little of them as you want. Also go and visit the cathedral in Lugo which is stunning.

Hi Everyone,

Definitely see as much as you can before (or after) you start your walk.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Everyone,

First walk your Camino as a pilgrim. Then take buses and trains as a tourist. That way you're not limited to sights in proximity to the Camino.

Hi Everyone,

The sunrise at O Cebreiro.
20150517_062605.jpg 20150517_063838.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back