• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto To Santiago, April 2017

long trails

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012
Hello from Lisbon! I am due to start walking from Porto in a couple of days and thought I'd try and add some helpful information for future pilgrims as I travel towards Santiago. I am planning for about 10 days.

I was on the Via de la Plata before, but stopped after one week. To cut a long story short, there were just too few other pilgrims and I found it a lonely walk. I would never have made it to Santiago along that route, so decided to hop over from Merida to Lisbon (only 20 EUR on a 4.5 hour bus).

I take the train tomorrow to Porto (only 24 EUR booked today on the very good CP train app) and will have a couple of days in the wonderful city where I plan to set some kind of world record for eating the most Pastéis de natas.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I take the train tomorrow to Porto (only 24 EUR booked today on the very good CP train app) and will have a couple of days in the wonderful city where I plan to set some kind of world record for eating the most Pastéis de natas.

Bom Caminho @long trails, but gorging on Pasteis de natas is easy, let's see if you are able to manage more than one Francesinha and we will expect to see the photographic evidence.

In case anyone is wondering why I am not walking from here imn Lison. Well I met someone recently who said its a very lonely walk up to Porto and most of it is by road. There is very little infrastructure too apparently, and what they said seems to tie in with what I have read.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I can understand your apprehension about walking from Lisbon but for what it's worth I loved the Lisbon to Porto section when I walked it with my 24 year-old daughter in March 2016. There are some beautiful towns like Tomar, Santarem and Coimbra. We met lovely pilgrims along the way and enjoyed their company, as well as hours of solitude during quiet stretches. It certainly is quieter than the Porto to Lisbon section but I would happily do it again. Like all things on the Way, everyone has their favourites. Enjoy your journey!

Hello from Lisbon! I am due to start walking from Porto in a couple of days and thought I'd try and add some helpful information for future pilgrims as I travel towards Santiago. I am planning for about 10 days.

I was on the Via de la Plata before, but stopped after one week. To cut a long story short, there were just too few other pilgrims and I found it a lonely walk. I would never have made it to Santiago along that route, so decided to hop over from Merida to Lisbon (only 20 EUR on a 4.5 hour bus).

Hope you survive the pastry challenge and meet up with some good companions on the way.

Bom Caminho @long trails, but gorging on Pasteis de natas is easy, let's see if you are able to manage more than one Francesinha and we will expect to see the photographic evidence.
Good grief, do yourself a GIANT favour and don't eat even one Francesinha! They are a complete travesty and have nothing to do with Portuguese cuisine, and whoever dreamt up the name must have hated France! The only truly terrible meal I've had in over 15 visits to Portugal was a Francesinha. Eat almost anything else and you'll enjoy it. If you have time, go to the Cafe Majestic on Sta Catarina and nurse a coffee to take in some wonderful decor. I've never seen such happy cherubs as there. Don't let the look of the place intimidate you: they don't care if you want to just have coffee, or if you want to have a big meal. Bom caminho!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I much prefer the food in Portugal compared to it's larger neighbour. So much so, that I am probably going to stop on the Portuguese side of the border on the 5th night rather than staying in Tui.

In Porto now, wonderful weather and forcast looks very good. Like this city so much that I might stay an extra day and start walking on Wednesday!

Good grief, do yourself a GIANT favour and don't eat even one Francesinha! They are a complete travesty and have nothing to do with Portuguese cuisine, and whoever dreamt up the name must have hated France! The only truly terrible meal I've had in over 15 visits to Portugal was a Francesinha. Eat almost anything else and you'll enjoy it. If you have time, go to the Cafe Majestic on Sta Catarina and nurse a coffee to take in some wonderful decor. I've never seen such happy cherubs as there. Don't let the look of the place intimidate you: they don't care if you want to just have coffee, or if you want to have a big meal. Bom caminho!
You can do both and have a Francesinha at the Majestic Cafe a much more refined version and utterly delicious . Here is a picture of one I had for those not familiar with the Francesinha

Attachments

• IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I ate a Francesinha on a dare from my girlfriend. Bread, ham, linguica, fresh sausage (chipotle), steak or roast meat (?!?), cheese, tomato and beer sauce. It’s the orange sauce it swims in that makes it extra “especial”! Quite possibly the worst thing I have ever done to myself. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20160627_090349065.jpg
    IMG_20160627_090349065.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20160627_090349066.jpg
    IMG_20160627_090349066.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 25
longtrails, one of your blog posts (VLDP Day 5) has a screen print from a GPS tracking app. Which one is this? Would be curious to get your feedback on it, how long you've been using it, etc. BTW, couldn't find a way to comment directly from your blog but that could just be me. Thanks.

And in the name of everything that's holy, stay away from Francesinhas. Just double up on port instead.

I ate a Francesinha on a dare from my girlfriend. Bread, ham, linguica, fresh sausage (chipotle), steak or roast meat (?!?), cheese, tomato and beer sauce. It’s the orange sauce it swims in that makes it extra “especial”! Quite possibly the worst thing I have ever done to myself. ;)

Thanks for sharing your excellent photo @Ray J - eating a Francesinha it must surely be a one in a lifetime experience (never to be repeated!). When I ate mine, it was in a cafe in Matoshinos and the lovely woman who brought the mountain of food was most concerned that I enjoy every bit. Bom Caminho

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Alright, if we're sharing pictures . . .
Not as saucy.
Mine's from Cafe Santiago, Porto.
I can't believe you guys finished your's. I didn't even come close.

Attachments

• IMG_2904.JPG
    IMG_2904.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
Alright, if we're sharing pictures . . .
Not as saucy.
Mine's from Cafe Santiago, Porto.
I can't believe you guys finished your's. I didn't even come close.

Hah! Me, either - I think I packed it in about halfway through. Usually famished while hiking, this was the first time on the trail I couldn't finish a meal. :D

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back