• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Practice, practice, practice

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

I use the first week of the walk for training, but I am reminded again to practice everything before going, so I know what to expect.

I have been walking over 10km daily for a while. I walked today with my pack, and it makes a difference even at 15#. I discover this every pilgrimage as if it were new information! My feet and legs are tireder from the extra weight, and I rediscovered those pack balancing muscles in my back and upper thighs. Ideally, one should train so that the first day is as strong as the 30th, but I know that is not what I will do. So it is good to remind myself that it will be tough in the beginning.

I tested my Spenco (orthotic) sandals a few days ago as a backup for walking in my low-cut New Balance boots. After five miles I had a blister under a big toe from the friction of not being laced in. After treatment, the blister is not particularly uncomfortable in my boots, but now I know that I may not be warned by a hot spot; a blister may just form and burst before I detect it. My neighborhood is a much better place to learn this than on the camino! Sandals are usually marginal hiking footwear for all the reasons found elsewhere in this Forum, but it is good to know how they personally will work for me. I am ready to use them knowing their limitations as they apply to my feet. I may revert to my Crocs (non-orthotic), which are two ounces heavier, but have a known hiking history.

Practice, practice, practice to eliminate surprises on a pilgrimage!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Falcon,

Sounds like your approach is simular to the one I planned. I've never walked the Camino (yet) I leave Wednesday for a Sept 1 start. I had suspected the first week would be one of adaptation and adjustments. I've been reading this and another forum and have gotten valuable information from both. Now is the time, I am to put it to use and figure some stuff out on my own.

You have given some great info out and even though I haven't said it on the forum ( didnt want to clog the posts) I appreciate your experience and sharing of this info.

Hopefully, I will come back from the Camino, humbler, wiser and fitter!

Thank You and all the other contributors!! :D

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back