• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Prices in mercados and shops

Padrepapp

Time of past OR future Camino
planning (2017)
Hello Pilgrims!

Anyone have a pricelist of items in shops/mercados? Things like: bread, chees, eggs, bottle of milk and wine, box of fruit juice, veggies and fruits, etc?
Or maybe someone able to list sime prices off the top of one's head?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
IMHO Beggars can't be choosers! When you are walking the Camino and you go to the only shop in the village, either you buy it or leave it, depending on how much you actually need it in that moment!
When in the larger towns, go to one of the main supermarkets, where you will find the prices very similar to their competitors.

Its food and it is no more expensive than buying stuff at home. I survive four days with just bread and water before someone notice that I didn't look so well. The doctor that was walking the Camino said I needed some protein after hearing I just ate bread and water. The pilgrims meal worked out well for 10 euros that had a salad, choice of meat entree, liter of wine, bread, and a dessert. I went another two days with just bread and water and every third day a pilgrims meal. It worked out fine. I lost over fifty pounds in two weeks, didn't miss the food until I felt weak. Chocolate candy bars gave me a boost of energy and strong coffee. I spent a average of 20 e a day that was roughly 600 euros in thirty days which includes the Albergue I stayed in and meals.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I live in Denver...the price of food in large grocery stores was about 25%...I regularly left a large grocery store with a full bag of food more than 10 euros...the price of restaurants meals were about 50%...but most Pilgrims told me that prices had doubled from their prior Caminos...for example a liter of cold bottled water on the Camino Frances ranged from 0.8 to 1.5 Euros...that would range from $2-2.5 in Denver.

Thanks for all the answers!

I went another two days with just bread and water and every third day a pilgrims meal. It worked out fine. I spent a average of 20 e a day that was roughly 600 euros in thirty days which includes the Albergue I stayed in and meals.

Me and my girlfriend are aiming around 20 Euros a day too (harder to come up with money from eastern european countries;)). Fast is not unfamiliar for me, but when I started running the 46 day fast was really demanding, as I was hungry ALL the time, and I thought walking 25-35km a day on the Camino would be equally or even more challanging with limited nutrition.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
bread, chees, eggs, bottle of milk and wine, box of fruit juice, veggies and fruits, etc?
Or maybe someone able to list sime prices off the top of one's head?

Bread €1
Cheese - buy it by the slice. How much do you want?
Eggs - buy them by the each - How many do you want?
Milk - I don't use it, but cheap
Fruit Juice - €1,50
Veggies - Buy them by the each
Fruits - Buy them by the each. I will say that if I want Cherimoya here in the USA I have to pay upwards of $5 for ONE and in Spain I've gotten them for €,89. So it depends on the season and what you're buying.

If you budget €20 per day for picnic food, you'll do fine.

I would not recommend eating only bread for two or three days and then having a pilgrim meal. I think you would be far better off (if money is so tight) avoiding restaurants and buying cheese, salami, nuts, a carrot, greens, yoghurt to go with your bread every day. This would be much more healthy and just as cheap, especially if you stock up in supermercados rather than relying on tiendas.
Another strategy would be to offer to cook for other pilgrims and ask them to contribute towards the food cost - we could make a good dinner for five for ten euros. Pasta, tomato-based sauce with onion, garlic and grated carrot, maybe mushrooms, chorizo, olives, cheese, green salad, egg, melon.
Another budget option would be to soak half a cupful of rolled oats in a pottle of yoghurt overnight (you'd need to carry a small lightweight bowl) and eat that for breakfast. More nutritious than bread alone and good slow-release energy.
With a little planning *healthy* and *cheaply* need not be mutually exclusive.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We tried to buy at the Dia Stores when we could. The prices were the best that we found. When we bought chicken in a meat store it was the first time that we could have our meat fileted while we watched.

I would not recommend eating only bread for two or three days and then having a pilgrim meal. I think you would be far better off (if money is so tight) avoiding restaurants and buying cheese, salami, nuts, a carrot, greens, yoghurt to go with your bread every day. This would be much more healthy and just as cheap, especially if you stock up in supermercados rather than relying on tiendas.
Another strategy would be to offer to cook for other pilgrims and ask them to contribute towards the food cost - we could make a good dinner for five for ten euros. Pasta, tomato-based sauce with onion, garlic and grated carrot, maybe mushrooms, chorizo, olives, cheese, green salad, egg, melon.
Another budget option would be to soak half a cupful of rolled oats in a pottle of yoghurt overnight (you'd need to carry a small lightweight bowl) and eat that for breakfast. More nutritious than bread alone and good slow-release energy.
With a little planning *healthy* and *cheaply* need not be mutually exclusive.
I couldn’t agree more. Walking without proper nutrients is a dangerous game. I needed to pay close attention to my changing body needs as I went 20-25 km a day. The first time I went I took few snacks. This last Camino, I always had nuts, a protein source and some fruit to supplement my meals, as well as electrolites in my water. There are ways (as suggested) to cut costs but I feel like eating properly is a building block for a good Camino.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back