• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long live the traditional Spanish shops

SabsP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.

I guess everyone who walked through Rua do Vilar in Santiago de Compostela recognises this shop for sewing products and yarn.
Authenticity, personal service and high quality.
Far away from the anonymous and unpersonal online shopping nowadays.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a shop on c.Atocha in Madrid which sells scissors, and has hundreds displayed. (And the occasional knife), it must be a family business as there is no way it can be worthwhile otherwise - but only airline regulations stop me buying a pair for every conceivable purpose every time I pass.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a shop on c.Atocha in Madrid which sells scissors, and has hundreds displayed. (And the occasional knife), it must be a family business as there is no way it can be worthwhile otherwise - but only airline regulations stop me buying a pair for every conceivable purpose every time I pass.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I absolutely love my little merceria in Alicante, in the same street where I live. They have everything you could possibly want. It takes a long time to get served because everyone chats, at length. Bliss. There's also a wonderful shop that sells fabrics, I'll take photos next time I'm there.
Here in my town in England I have to buy on the internet as none of those shops remain, even the market has gone.

In Burgos there’s a double fronted store, on one side you can buy underwear and on the other , fans!
Also love a ferreteria!

There are two in Santander, should you be on the Norte and the need arise: one on C Rualasal near the Lupa and the other on C Lealtad just south of the Hotel Coliseum.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not a cute little store like the mercerías, but a beautiful example of another dying breed - the fabric store. Anyone who sews or does fabric art will enjoy visiting Tejidos Julián Lopez in Madrid.
I know this store well- have purchased many a meter of fabric when we have stayed in Madrid. Love the street sweep statue in the plaza nearby.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
And these two wonderful shops and people in Castrojeriz! Always special to stop in here and say hi and always relieved they are still there!

"Since he was 15, Amancio has been spending hours and hours in his bazaar, which is why he stands as one of the best witnesses of the Camino de Santiago and its evolution over time."

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back