Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo or Norte in this recent bad weather?

MKalcolm M

Solvitur ambulando - It is solved by walking
Time of past OR future Camino
north route spring 2013
My 13 year old daughter and I are due to start walking the Primitivo on April 3rd, but I am concerned about the recent weather leaving snow and mud on the paths, and walking long distances in difficult conditions. We walked from Porto last year, and had a great time, but it was in good weather. We have talked about the Primitivo and the current conditions a lot and she is very keen to do it, but the closer it gets and the more I read about the mud, the more worried I get. I walked the Norte in spring 2013 and the first two weeks were very rainy and muddy and it was hard work, but it looks like the Primitivo is worse just now. We have flights to Oviedo and returns from Santiago, so it would be easy enough to transfer to the Norte. We do not want to walk the Frances, so all suggestions and advice gratefully considered.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Snow will be a bigger problem on the Primitivo, but mud is likely about the same. The Primitivo goes between some very substantial mountains, while the Norte is in coastal hills. It looks pretty wet in Galicia, but the snow is melting in O Cebreiro, so it must be warming a bit. Since weather is not the same throughout Spain, you should check the local forecasts for the two routes to make a decision. If there is going to be snow, the Primitivo may be hard to follow! Buen camino.

My 13 year old daughter and I are due to start walking the Primitivo on April 3rd, but I am concerned about the recent weather leaving snow and mud on the paths, and walking long distances in difficult conditions. We walked from Porto last year, and had a great time, but it was in good weather. We have talked about the Primitivo and the current conditions a lot and she is very keen to do it, but the closer it gets and the more I read about the mud, the more worried I get. I walked the Norte in spring 2013 and the first two weeks were very rainy and muddy and it was hard work, but it looks like the Primitivo is worse just now. We have flights to Oviedo and returns from Santiago, so it would be easy enough to transfer to the Norte. We do not want to walk the Frances, so all suggestions and advice gratefully considered.

El Norte is muddy wet and yesterday 10 minutes before I ascended through the forest to the road at Canero, a huge land/rock slide occurred blocking all traffic, fortunately I was on the correct side of the slide (To Luarca) to continue walking “car-free”. I’ve been walking as much coastal and all forest routes since Feb 28th and this past week coastal/forest paths have a lot of small rivers instead of path and /or path is washed out meaning you have to get wet to the ankle to cross or return. Personally I’d be hesitant to recommend El Norte at this time plus more heavy rain is forecasted.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I suggest checking out this thread by @Jan_D who is on the Primitivo at present.
Also the 7 day forecast for Asturias and also for Lugo area of Galicia. It looks as though there is brighter weather coming about Monday. However both are going to be wet underfoot as will all the other Caminos I expect as the rain has been coming into Spain from the Atlantic.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back