Search 69,459 Camino Questions

from Oviedo: Camino del Norte or Primitivo?

ferdechile

Time of past OR future Camino
Junte 3
Hello beautiful people!!

Could you guys describe recent experience with del Norte from Oviedo and the Primitivo?
(% of car roads, the average number of pilgrims on the road, access to services especially on Primitivo, etc)

I would be so grateful!

Fer

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Strictly speaking, Oviedo is not on the Norte, but there is a well way-marked link to Gijon. On the Norte, there is some road walking until it heads inland after Ribadeo (and you can avoid some of this by taking the Ruta Historica variant after La Caridad or GR coastal paths). The Primitivo has very little road walking (uunless you count paved back roads). Both are quite popular but not overcrowded except at peak times e.g. September. Both routes are very adequately serviced for most of the way but check with Gronze for the occasional long stretch. Sorry I can't give exact numbers for average numbers and % of roads. The camino is not an exact science.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can't compare the two - I took the Norte and switched to the Primitivo though. I liked the Norte (before switching to Oviedo/Primitivo). Beach areas were gorgeous. But there was a lot of time spent walking through bigger cities and touristy areas. For me - it had more of a "hiking city to city" feel as opposed to hiking a pilgrimage. I definitely enjoyed the Primitivo more overall.

The Primitivo is definitely more "pilgrimage" like, and while I saw many more "pilgrims", it wasn't hiking city to city which made it much more pleasant.

Primitivo had easier to spot pilgrims, but I could still easily walk alone when I wanted to. On the Norte - if you weren't walking with pilgrims then you didn't easily spot pilgrims as you passed through towns. On the Primitivo - you could see pilgrims getting together at bars along the way and in towns. It really is the perfect balance of being with other pilgrims if you want to, but you are easily able to be alone when you want to. And the Primitivo had WAY LESS car traffic. You often hike in more remote areas and towns are further apart. It is wonderful. More albergues on the Primitivo, less "touristy" accommodation. Not a lot of bars/restaurants in between towns, but it was somewhat that way on the Norte too. I just always carried snacks (on the Norte and Primitivo), and waited until I got to town for lunch most days. I also carried about the same amount of water on both trails. The number of services I felt was still adequate for both.

I walked late May (Starting in Hendaye) - late June. Weather was pretty comfortable, I only had 4 days that I thought it was "too warm" - but of course - the big heat wave started just after I arrived in Santiago.

Again - my comparison is the first half of the Norte and the Primitivo - I haven't walked the 2nd half of the Norte.

Hi Fer, I’ve walked both and completely agree with Jeanineonthecamino. She does a great job of describing my experience on the Norte and Primitivo. When I walked the second half of the Norte along the coast it felt like walking from city to city similar to the first half until you turn inland. I enjoyed both, but have a preference for the Primitivo for all the reasons Jeanineonthecamino suggested. Both are worth doing, so it’s a matter of what kind of Camino you prefer.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back