Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo w 7-10 days on Norte

Quinranda

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2016)
Hi all. I'm looking into walking the Primitivo in May 2024. I'll have about 4 weeks, so I'm thinking of starting on the Norte for a week or two and/or walking on to Muxia at the end. I've walked the CF 3 times, so excited fo something new. Just looking for suggestions on where to start on the Norte. Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Depends how far you walk each day, but Santander would seem to be about a week out from Oviedo, which would leave you two weeks for the Primitivo, a week to get to Finisterre and Muxia and back to Santiago. If you do long days, perhaps you could start at Bilbao.

*Very* much dependent on how far you like to walk each day, and how fast you hike over hills.

What was your comfortable pace to Pamplona from SJPdP, and over the last longish hill before Sarria (O Cer
..whatever? ;)

Also note that the 3 day estimates to either Finisterre or Muxia have one walking 86-89 km in 3 days.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
*Very* much dependent on how far you like to walk each day, and how fast you hike over hills.

What was your comfortable pace to Pamplona from SJPdP, and over the last longish hill before Sarria (O Cer
..whatever? ;)

Also note that the 3 day estimates to either Finisterre or Muxia have one walking 86-89 km in 3 days.
Thanks. I've walked to Finistetre/Muxia before. I think it took

..whatever? ;)

Thanks. It took me 3 days to get from SJPP to Pamplona. I think I took 4 days to walk to Finisterre. I'm trying to decide where I might start the Notre and if the section leading up to the Primitivo is a beautiful one or if it's mostly road walking. Like will I missthe best of the Norte if I start in

..whatever? ;)

Thanks. I think it took me 4 days to walk to Finisterre and 3 to Pamplona. Trying to figure out if I start Norte close to Santander, if Id miss out on the most beautiful section(s). Is it worth giving up Muxia/Finisterre at the end to add more time to Norte.

Hi @Quinranda If it’s ok for your walk not to be continuous, you could start the Norte in Irun (or nearby Hondarribia) and walk to Bilbao. That’s typically about a week. From Bilbao you can take a bus directly to Oviedo to begin the Primitivo.

That first section of the Norte has some wonderful scenery and would give the opportunity to visit San Sebastián and Bilbao (and Hondarribia at the start). It’s pretty hilly in parts - check the elevations on Gronze.

You could go back to continue Norte from Bilbao if you want to do that another time.

All the best with your planning. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Or might you even save the Norte to do in one hit and this time start somewhere like Sahagun, walk to Leon and then do the San Salvador before the Primitivo?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I took exactly four weeks away from home. I started the Norte in San Sebastian because that is where the bus and train from Madrid stopped without having to transfer. I walked to Villaviciosa, then took a bus to Oviedo where I started the Primitivo, which I walked as far as Lugo before taking the bus to Santiago. I spent an extra day in San Sebastian, Bilbao and Lugo. I am not a fast walker, and this simple combination of using two easy buses in between was perfect for me. I had plenty of time and was in no hurry and after Lugo the rest of the Primitivo mostly flattens out.
If you are interested in getting a compostela, ending in Lugo will not qualify.

Last edited:
Hi all. I'm looking into walking the Primitivo in May 2024. I'll have about 4 weeks, so I'm thinking of starting on the Norte for a week or two and/or walking on to Muxia at the end. I've walked the CF 3 times, so excited fo something new. Just looking for suggestions on where to start on the Norte. Thanks!
Glad you asked this question as I’m thinking very much the same thing. I’m intending to get a ferry to probably Santander or possibly Bilbao. Walk some of the Norte but worried about walking on too much tarmac. Then trying to tackle the primitivo and maybe finisterre after.
I did the Frances this year from SJPDP. I don’t really need to go to Santiago again.

Hi , I did Norte and Primitivo last spring from Irun to Finistera with 2 days break took us 42 days. If you plan 30 days , a possible start could be at Santander which is about 14 days to Oviedo to start Primitivo and then 16 days to Finistera
Hope it helps

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm considering same so thanks for asking! Did the CF in Sept/Oct (most of it) and can't believe I'm considering another camino already :)

Glad you asked this question as I’m thinking very much the same thing. I’m intending to get a ferry to probably Santander or possibly Bilbao. Walk some of the Norte but worried about walking on too much tarmac. Then trying to tackle the primitivo and maybe finisterre after.
I did the Frances this year from SJPDP. I don’t really need to go to Santiago again.
Ha, me too!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi , I did Norte and Primitivo last spring from Irun to Finistera with 2 days break took us 42 days. If you plan 30 days , a possible start could be at Santander which is about 14 days to Oviedo to start Primitivo and then 16 days to Finistera
Hope it helps
Thanks for this info. I've read that Santander isn't the best place to start (lots of tarmac). Would you agree? My ideal is to start and keep walking (instead of bussing), but I'm wondering if I'll miss the beauty of the Norte if I do this? Would you say the stages from Santander are nice ones? Appreciate any advice🙂

Thanks for this info. I've read that Santander isn't the best place to start (lots of tarmac). Would you agree? My ideal is to start and keep walking (instead of bussing), but I'm wondering if I'll miss the beauty of the Norte if I do this? Would you say the stages from Santander are nice ones? Appreciate any advice🙂
You can walk out if Santander on the coast and avoid a lot of road and industrial areas. That's what I did this year. It did add a day doing it that way, and it's not a marked Camino route, and there are no albergues. But it was beautiful.

20230603_204743.jpg

20230604_152415.jpg

Here's a thread on this alternative

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did you stay somewhere along this route (if it added a day)? Thanks
Yes, I stayed in Liencres. It was about 27 km from where I started in Santander, then the next day I had about 27 km walking to Santillana del Mar. You have to take a very short train ride from Boo de Piélagos to Mogro. At Mogro I took the "old" Camino path which was much more pleasant that the current route. There's more information in the thread that I linked to above.

Yes, I stayed in Liencres. It was about 27 km from where I started in Santander, then the next day I had about 27 km walking to Santillana del Mar. You have to take a very short train ride from Boo de Piélagos to Mogro. At Mogro I took the "old" Camino path which was much more pleasant that the current route. There's more information in the thread that I linked to above.
Much thanks,! I'll research. Sounds like this could really work for me

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I see others have answered your question as asked so I don't feel too bad not answering it myself (not having walked the Norte yet) and offering another suggestion.

Have you considered walking the Salvador/Primitivo/Finisterre-Muxía for your four weeks? The Salvador is a sweet camino from Leon to Oviedo, somewhat less travelled than the Norte or Primitivo but by no means any less beautiful. I did it in six days (staying at Bendueños, one of my very favourite albergues). It makes a wonderful preface to the Primitivo. With that, plus the walk on to the coast and a few days in Santiago you've filled up your four weeks.

I see others have answered your question as asked so I don't feel too bad not answering it myself (not having walked the Norte yet) and offering another suggestion.

Have you considered walking the Salvador/Primitivo/Finisterre-Muxía for your four weeks? The Salvador is a sweet camino from Leon to Oviedo, somewhat less travelled than the Norte or Primitivo but by no means any less beautiful. I did it in six days (staying at Bendueños, one of my very favourite albergues). It makes a wonderful preface to the Primitivo. With that, plus the walk on to the coast and a few days in Santiago you've filled up your four weeks.
Thanks for the suggestion. How hard is the Salvador? I've looked into it, but have wondered if this, coupled w the Primitivo, would be fairly difficult? That said, I just returned from trekking the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal, so I'm comfortable w elevation changes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
:::chuckle::: Quinranda, the only people I know who find/found the Primitivo difficult either developed an injury, or were generally people like me, who did almost no hill training with a pack (plenty of walking, but not much under those conditions) prior to showing up. I'd also walked the last 114 of the Frances with pretty much ease two years prior, so I wasn't expecting the struggle. That's why I asked you about your Frances experience.

The Salvador, from what I read, is a bit more difficult than that, and it's not as well marked, so people like me who aren't comfortable with offline map navigation don't tend to do it.

*You* probably would have little to no trouble.

Thanks for the suggestion. How hard is the Salvador? I've looked into it, but have wondered if this, coupled w the Primitivo, would be fairly difficult? That said, I just returned from trekking the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal, so I'm comfortable w elevation changes.
I did the Salvador earlier this summer and didn't find it noticeably more difficult than the Primitivo. Before that, the most challenging Camino I had done was the Frances (from Roncesvalles so I didn't even have the Napoleon or Valcarlos climbs). I didn't find it too hard at all. I had been walking from Madrid so I wasn't starting fresh, though. There are parts of it for sure that are more of a hike than the walk that you usually get on Camino but nothing really technical. If you just returned from trekking in Nepal it should be a breeze! I'm not known for being super fit (understatement).

I will admit that the detour to Bendueños to stay there (1.5 km off the Camino, seemingly straight uphill, at the end of your day's hike) is a bit of a pain but Oh so worth it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I liked my Wise Pilgrim app but I would also highly recommend Ender's Guide for anyone doing the Salvador.
I used Ender's guide and also @Elle Bieling's guide.

In September I bicycled for 10 days on the Norte Hondarribia to Gihon and then walk the entire Primitivo from Oviedo. It was epic & quite challenging and fun 31 days (www.livealagom.life) all in all.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi @Quinranda If it’s ok for your walk not to be continuous, you could start the Norte in Irun (or nearby Hondarribia) and walk to Bilbao. That’s typically about a week. From Bilbao you can take a bus directly to Oviedo to begin the Primitivo.

That first section of the Norte has some wonderful scenery and would give the opportunity to visit San Sebastián and Bilbao (and Hondarribia at the start). It’s pretty hilly in parts - check the elevations on Gronze.

You could go back to continue Norte from Bilbao if you want to do that another time.

All the best with your planning. 😎
Agree with that suggestion

I did the Salvador earlier this summer and didn't find it noticeably more difficult than the Primitivo. Before that, the most challenging Camino I had done was the Frances (from Roncesvalles so I didn't even have the Napoleon or Valcarlos climbs). I didn't find it too hard at all. I had been walking from Madrid so I wasn't starting fresh, though. There are parts of it for sure that are more of a hike than the walk that you usually get on Camino but nothing really technical. If you just returned from trekking in Nepal it should be a breeze! I'm not known for being super fit (understatement).

I will admit that the detour to Bendueños to stay there (1.5 km off the Camino, seemingly straight uphill, at the end of your day's hike) is a bit of a pain but Oh so wort

I will admit that the detour to Bendueños to stay there (1.5 km off the Camino, seemingly straight uphill, at the end of your day's hike) is a bit of a pain but Oh so worth it.
Ahhh, so many choices. A few people have now recommended the San Salvador. So I'll have to decide: a week on the coast first or an extra week in the mountains!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back