Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Primitivo - Sep 5, 2022

BombayBill

Still Learning
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024 Invierno / VdLP or Cathar
Hola from Oviedo. I’ll only post if I see anything of interest to those starting behind me. The Hi Hostel was full on the Saturday night and I could see pilgrims here and there on the street. The host reports that this Sunday night there are very few pilgrims. So once again I’m choosing to start on a Monday to avoid the weekend warriors. Yesterday I assisted several pilgrims who had difficulties finding the path out of town. Something mentioned in other reports.
Ultreia!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yesterday I assisted several pilgrims who had difficulties finding the path out of town.
Just make sure to turn left at the train station, if you’ve missed the earlier left turn. But since you have been helping others, you already know that!

The last time I walked the Norte, I dipped down to Oviedo because I love it so much and have a good friend who lives there. On the way back to Avilés, I met a British pilgrim. After about an hour of walking together, I realized he thought he was on the Primitivo! He wound up continuing on the Norte and we became good walking buddies, so I personally benefitted from this confusion. Turning right at the train station will put you on the way back to the Norte.

I’ll only post if I see anything of interest to those starting behind me

Hoping you have a camino primitivo that is fabuloso, BombayBill. And remember there are those of us who love to hear updates — whether or not you think they are interesting, we always enjoy them! But of course you may be feeling the urge to disconnect, so do what feels best and enjoy this wonderful route!

Yesterday morning I started at 8. As is typical in Spain on a weekend some people still lingered outside the bars. I passed a pie eyed group of 3 young men who were grinning amiably. One recognized that I was out of place and felt he should offer some sort of friendly remark. I could see the thought give rise in his forehead and slowly roll down to his lips. It didn’t entirely make it. He said “Gallrrph?” and belched quietly. I nodded my thanks for his efforts and strolled on.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Day 2 Grado
Muni full at 2 pm. Quintana full. Some people walking on past Grado. Mainly Spanish pilgrims on the trail. I’m considering going off stage.

I will be interested to see how you go off stage. I want to do shorter days which would mean going off stage sometimes but it doesn’t appear to be as easy to do that as on Frances

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am just hoping that by the time that I start the Primitivo in November there will be fewer pilgrims on the route and enough accommodations still open to house us

On the way back to Avilés, I met a British pilgrim. After about an hour of walking together, I realized he thought he was on the Primitivo! He wound up continuing on the Norte and we became good walking buddies,
Brilliant 😂 what a great story

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Day 3 Salas

A good pilgrim stop , multiple bars and Albergue on the square so easy to keep up with new friends. I was at the Casa Sueno , very modern. A little quieter than downtown a 5 minute walk away. It is 3:4 full.

I’m starting the Primitivo with a friend on Friday next week. Is everyone managing to find accommodation somehow, or is it a real problem?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Pola de Allende
I highly recommend La Casita da Aba in Pola de Allende. One of the nicest I’ve been in. Pola is a great town. Don’t feel you must do the Hospitales route.
As you undoubtedly know by now, the route from Pola has about 200 m elevation MORE than the Hospitales route. And it’s much steeper. More info here.

But I agree with you that Pola de Allande is a nice town and gives you the opportunity to try some award-winning fabada in the restaurant of the hotel.

Day ? Lugo

Not much to report other than what has been already said. It generally got busier after Fonsagrada which I think is the start place for those with only 1 week. The municipale were generally full by late afternoon but rooms remained in the privates.

!!!!! This is the end of my Primitivo as I intend to take the Verde from Lugo to Friol to Sobrado.

I have some important cautions about the Verde variant. Please read them at the link below before you attempt it!
Click on the discussion tab.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back