Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo in September

Ellla

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Hello,
I will be waking Camino Primitivo in September. I was wondering whether I need for the evening light dress and sandals or leggings/ shirt and running shoes. I would like to have different shoes for the evening after the walk. I had sandals when I walked Frances in July. But heard that on Primitivo evenings and mornings can be pretty chilly.
Any advise?
Ella

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are planning to start walking from Oviedo on September 4th. and get to Santiago on 14th.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not sure of their accuracy in the mountains, and bearing in mind that this year's been a little extreme, I would suggest consulting weather atlas or weather tab for historic and predicted weather for a couple of spots on your route.

For your time period, lows at Berducedo are listed as between 45 and 57 degrees F. Oviedo is warmer by a few degrees, up to about 62. Rain is expected on the 4th.

Thank you. This is very helpful. I checked the sites and the weather doesn’t look too “sunny”. Mostly rain. Hopefully it will change in a month. Need to pray about it.

Ella, I just finished the trail, started mid July and it's now the end.( Writing this from Santiago).
Nearly every evening was cool, as was every morning for the first hour or so. And I'm NOT an early riser.
Long pants, two layers (short & long sleeve shirt) and sandals nearly every evening. One evening, sitting outside at a bar, puffer jacket too ( super lightweight, not a winter one). 8 degrees!

I walked the Inglès beginning of April, frost two mornings - at 8.00am . 20+ in the afternoon, chilly again mid/ late evening.
I didn't take my sandals, rather a light, comfy , breathable cheap pair of shoes. ( They're actually lighter than my sandals!). Big enough for swollen feet and merino socks! (1/2 a size was plenty, rarely covered more than 5 km in the afternoon/evening).
I also carried - and used, although just for 30 minutes until I'd warmed up - a light merino beanie, and 200 weight ( light) merino gloves.

The Hospitales can be cold, even in the middle of summer. Mist rolls in really fast, as can the rain. When the sun disappears, the temperature drops 5, even 10 degrees. T shirt and sweating to second long-sleeved layer and comfy in 5 minutes. Other's have posted about this recently
( I think @DavidTallan) .
If I was able to walk with you in September, I'd pack exactly as I did for the Inglès....
Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you
Ella, I just finished the trail, started mid July and it's now the end.( Writing this from Santiago).
Nearly every evening was cool, as was every morning for the first hour or so. And I'm NOT an early riser.
Long pants, two layers (short & long sleeve shirt) and sandals nearly every evening. One evening, sitting outside at a bar, puffer jacket too ( super lightweight, not a winter one). 8 degrees!

I walked the Inglès beginning of April, frost two mornings - at 8.00am . 20+ in the afternoon, chilly again mid/ late evening.
I didn't take my sandals, rather a light, comfy , breathable cheap pair of shoes. ( They're actually lighter than my sandals!). Big enough for swollen feet and merino socks! (1/2 a size was plenty, rarely covered more than 5 km in the afternoon/evening).
I also carried - and used, although just for 30 minutes until I'd warmed up - a light merino beanie, and 200 weight ( light) merino gloves.

The Hospitales can be cold, even in the middle of summer. Mist rolls in really fast, as can the rain. When the sun disappears, the temperature drops 5, even 10 degrees. T shirt and sweating to second long-sleeved layer and comfy in 5 minutes. Other's have posted about this recently
( I think @DavidTallan) .
If I was able to walk with you in September, I'd pack exactly as I did for the Inglès....
Buen Camino!
Thank you so much for all info. It is very helpful. I will not take sandals and a dress as for CF but rather light running shoes and leggings. I got merino beamy and gloves which are on my packing list. I am packing very light so have to make a decision what is really needed. Last time my backpack was 4.5 kg plus water and hope for the same this time.
Just a different question. How long did you walk? I am planning to walk 11 days.
Best,
Ella

Wow, 4.5 kg is light! Remember, this is Autumn, not summer, and whilst the facilities are good, there's no where near as much infrastructure ( shop's etc) as on the Frances. And because of the weather, it's possible that you won't always get your washing dry. Don't leave something important out because of the weight. And seriously consider carrying at least some food for the way. Day 1 we found nothing open for the first 20 kms. (There's a restaurant - closed. Shop beside it - ditto.)

I walked 13 days, 2 hours. Actually, I walked 12, because I took a zero in Lugo. The two hours was because I walked in the following day, simply because I had so much time, and it was cheaper than staying in Santiago!
I also crossed over on the Camino Verde to the Norte, which adds a little.

I might add I started off injured, and had no idea if I would even be able to complete day 1, let alone the Camino.
The thread is here : https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-primitivo-oviedo-melide.34/
Whilst most apparently do it in 13-14 days, I think the Primitivo is definitely doable in 11 days if you're moderately fit and prepared to walk a couple of longer days. There are several days it's relatively easy to do.

Wow, 4.5 kg is light! Remember, this is Autumn, not summer, and whilst the facilities are good, there's no where near as much infrastructure ( shop's etc) as on the Frances. And because of the weather, it's possible that you won't always get your washing dry. Don't leave something important out because of the weight. And seriously consider carrying at least some food for the way. Day 1 we found nothing open for the first 20 kms. (There's a restaurant - closed. Shop beside it - ditto.)

I walked 13 days, 2 hours. Actually, I walked 12, because I took a zero in Lugo. The two hours was because I walked in the following day, simply because I had so much time, and it was cheaper than staying in Santiago!
I also crossed over on the Camino Verde to the Norte, which adds a little.

I might add I started off injured, and had no idea if I would even be able to complete day 1, let alone the Camino.
The thread is here : https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-primitivo-oviedo-melide.34/
Whilst most apparently do it in 13-14 days, I think the Primitivo is definitely doable in 11 days if you're moderately fit and prepared to walk a couple of longer days. There are several days it's relatively easy to do.
Thank you for information about food. I was going to ask about it. On CF I didn’t carry any food. I had my sleeping bag and even PJ.
Before packing I would weigh all the T-shirts and choose the lightest. The same with the rest but I had only one day clothing. I would wash my dirty ones everyday but I see I might need some extras for this one.
Is it only one day you need to carry some food or would recommend on days as well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walked Primitivo end of September 2022! Left Oviedo in torrential rain which continued until Lugo!

Definitely chilly in the mornings, especially if you’re walking early and it’s foggy! I normally wore a beanie/gloves/fleece, until the sun came up!
Evenings could be cold as well, a light down or synthetic jacket is a good idea!
I also had a set of merino base layers that I wore around the Albergue at night!
I walk in trail runners, (Asics)!
In the evenings I’d switch to flip flops, ok for the Albergue, but not practical for exploring the Lugos city walls!
I really enjoyed walking the Primitivo at this time of the year, you can really feel the season changing around you!

Walked Primitivo end of September 2022! Left Oviedo in torrential rain which continued until Lugo!

Definitely chilly in the mornings, especially if you’re walking early and it’s foggy! I normally wore a beanie/gloves/fleece, until the sun came up!
Evenings could be cold as well, a light down or synthetic jacket is a good idea!
I also had a set of merino base layers that I wore around the Albergue at night!
I walk in trail runners, (Asics)!
In the evenings I’d switch to flip flops, ok for the Albergue, but not practical for exploring the Lugos city walls!
I really enjoyed walking the Primitivo at this time of the year, you can really feel the season changing around you!
Thank you for the tips. Definitely, I am packing my merino base layers, gloves, beanie and very thin, light down short j jacket. I will give up on sandals and a dress which were very comfortable in the evening on CF in July.

Clothes - yes, light is good, warm is better. I'm a Merino convert. Two t-shirts, (150 weight) , one long, (200 weight). Can't tell any difference between the 100%merino and the 80%., less I find uncomfortable, and gets smelly faster. 1 light weight puffer, previously mentioned. Rainwear. It will rain, the only question is how much.
I'm a bloke, so evenings long zip off pants for me. Second pair or shorts for the day.
3 pairs socks and underwear, because you simply can't guarantee you'll get things dry. ( Obviously I'm talking total - 1 to wear, 2 spair). Beanie etc

Food - I'm talking lunch. I've always got dried fruit and salted nuts with me, often a little chocolate. Or a Snickers bar. Sometimes a few biscuits/ crackers. I'd normally pack a banana and,/ or apple or similar. I can survive just on that, a sandwich of some description is a definite bonus.
The only days where taking it with was important were, for me, day one ( as mentioned, everything shut,) and the Hospitales. (4 of us shared a baguette, some chippies , a large tomato and a large (250gm?) tin of tuna, we all had our own fruit etc and at least 2l water).
But I started every day with breakfast, even if it was just a yoghurt ( or a long life yoghurt Drink, popular here) and a few breadsticks. And coffee, of course! I'd rather start late than miss that. A couple of times I could pick that up an hour or so in, but not always. Many of the little towns have zero services. You don't need to go crazy, but 2 - 300 grams food can make the difference between a really tough day and a great one.!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Clothes - yes, light is good, warm is better. I'm a Merino convert. Two t-shirts, (150 weight) , one long, (200 weight). Can't tell any difference between the 100%merino and the 80%., less I find uncomfortable, and gets smelly faster. 1 light weight puffer, previously mentioned. Rainwear. It will rain, the only question is how much.
I'm a bloke, so evenings long zip off pants for me. Second pair or shorts for the day.
3 pairs socks and underwear, because you simply can't guarantee you'll get things dry. ( Obviously I'm talking total - 1 to wear, 2 spair). Beanie etc

Food - I'm talking lunch. I've always got dried fruit and salted nuts with me, often a little chocolate. Or a Snickers bar. Sometimes a few biscuits/ crackers. I'd normally pack a banana and,/ or apple or similar. I can survive just on that, a sandwich of some description is a definite bonus.
The only days where taking it with was important were, for me, day one ( as mentioned, everything shut,) and the Hospitales. (4 of us shared a baguette, some chippies , a large tomato and a large (250gm?) tin of tuna, we all had our own fruit etc and at least 2l water).
But I started every day with breakfast, even if it was just a yoghurt ( or a long life yoghurt Drink, popular here) and a few breadsticks. And coffee, of course! I'd rather start late than miss that. A couple of times I could pick that up an hour or so in, but not always. Many of the little towns have zero services. You don't need to go crazy, but 2 - 300 grams food can make the difference between a really tough day and a great one.!
I was thinking about taking some dry fruits and one or two power bars. Just in case. But now, I will think about something else. Maybe some bread. This is a very good advice. Even on CF, it was a good thing to bring some food or bars with you. One time walking to Ocerebro I got very weird feeling having my sugar dropped. Ran to the bar to get something. Got old, cold piece of pizza. I will check with sports stores what they have for such trips. But as mentioned before I hope not to go much over 4.5 kg plus water.

I went last year in the second half of September and I managed the evenings by having a pair of Merino capris (Icebreaker) under my Decathlon hiking dress, and closed toe shoes (UIN travel shoes, from Amazon). In the mornings from roughly Tineo to O' Cadavo I wore a long sleeve technical t-shirt under the dress and either my fleece (something I picked up for a few euros in Salas) or my puffer (Emeline jacket from Lole), and sometimes all those layers. I also have a pair of merino gloves from Decathlon.
I was able to stay warm when it was really chilly, and I could shed layers as needed. For trousers I had my Lole travel pants (with an ankle drawstring that serves many purposes, including holding the trousers at a rolled up level). Again, sometimes I would have the capri running tights under the trousers.
I tend to run cold... but I think that with a similarly handled combination, you could handle almost any weather, and find that you have things to wear for "about town" as well.
Buen Camino!!

I went last year in the second half of September and I managed the evenings by having a pair of Merino capris (Icebreaker) under my Decathlon hiking dress, and closed toe shoes (UIN travel shoes, from Amazon). In the mornings from roughly Tineo to O' Cadavo I wore a long sleeve technical t-shirt under the dress and either my fleece (something I picked up for a few euros in Salas) or my puffer (Emeline jacket from Lole), and sometimes all those layers. I also have a pair of merino gloves from Decathlon.
I was able to stay warm when it was really chilly, and I could shed layers as needed. For trousers I had my Lole travel pants (with an ankle drawstring that serves many purposes, including holding the trousers at a rolled up level). Again, sometimes I would have the capri running tights under the trousers.
I tend to run cold... but I think that with a similarly handled combination, you could handle almost any weather, and find that you have things to wear for "about town" as well.
Buen Camino!!
Thank you. I will check Decathlon and Lole. I think though I have all that is necessary. Dress and sandals were great for comfort , after a day walk on CF in July. But this Camino and time requires warmer outfits.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That seems very specific. Any particular reason?
I am not a very big person and although pretty athletic not doing well with carring heavy stuff. I know I managed this weight twice so will try to do it again. But at the same time have to take what is necessary,. So maybe it will be a bit heavier this time.

Thank you. I will check Decathlon and Lole. I think though I have all that is necessary. Dress and sandals were great for comfort , after a day walk on CF in July. But this Camino and time requires warmer outfits.
Yes... I'd say that for the evenings and maybe the first hour of the walk, you need the warmer layers (hence leggings under the dress, or under the trousers).... and then one can be very exposed in scorching sun on the sides of mountains... so peeling off to t-shirt and just the leggings...
Wishing yo hall the best for your camino.

T
Yes... I'd say that for the evenings and maybe the first hour of the walk, you need the warmer layers (hence leggings under the dress, or under the trousers).... and then one can be very exposed in scorching sun on the sides of mountains... so peeling off to t-shirt and just the leggings...
Wishing yo hall the best for your camino.

I'll also be on the Primitivo this September so your question and the advice are really timely. I was also wondering about this.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When are you starting? We are arriving on the 2nd and would like to do some sightseeing on 3rd and start walking the same day.

I land in Madrid on the 27th of August and from there I'll make my way to Oviedo. I don't have a plan for this trip per se so my start date is currently between the 3rd and the 5th. From the dates it looks like we will be seeing you on the camino at some point.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.