• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Proposed tourist tax in Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Over the past few days a number of news websites have reported on the new mayor's proposal to introduce a daily tourist tax as part of plans to limit numbers in the city at peak times and fund tourist infrastructure improvements. An idea which comes a few months after the Xunta announced a budget of 141 million euros to develop and promote the Caminos in advance of the 2027 Holy Year. Joined-up thinking?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Over the past few days a number of news websites have reported on the new mayor's proposal to introduce a daily tourist tax as part of plans to limit numbers in the city at peak times and fund tourist infrastructure improvements. An idea which comes a few months after the Xunta announced a budget of 141 million euros to develop and promote the Caminos in advance of the 2027 Holy Year. Joined-up thinking?

Forgive me for not reading the link first, but my first instinct is to say thank you for your ever ready eagle eye for all things Camino and Santiago. As for joined up thinking, the idea takes me back to a time when two friends twisted my arm to go with them to Lourdes. I recall just such a tax. I guess the authorities have to be creative in benefitting from the tourists...
(Pamplona town hall would make a fortune from the San Fermin crowds if they put their mind to it!) Now to the article... 🤓

The popular destination in Spain’s northwestern autonomous community of Galicia welcomed almost 440,000 ‘pilgrims’ in 2022. Its annual average number of visitors exceeds 300,000.

https://www.santiagoturismo.com/nov...ica-en-2021-con-record-de-turistas-nacionales

In 2021, which was still affected by covid, it was more than 700,000, and there were 1,700,000 arrivals at the airport.

2022 : https://www.elcorreogallego.es/sant...or-habitante-que-barcelona-o-palma-KC13117058

They had 838,594 visitors. And this is just people sleeping overnight, pilgrims and others, and doesn't count day-trippers, or travellers going elsewhere via Santiago.

This from 2017 https://vivecamino.com/record-de-26-millones-de-viajeros-en-santiago-de-compostela-en-2017-no-477/ suggests that the total number of visitors is really in the millions.

So I think they forgot a zero in the final number.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I want this municipality to stop being just a tourist destination and a theme park,” she said, according to Europa Press.
Who started pushing the Camino, flattening and bulldozing rural paths to turn them into gravel roads? Now they wish there were fewer of us? They should have thought of that earlier.

To be fair it wasn't the city of Santiago that did that, it was the Xunta Galicia. But the snowball effect of camino-centered commercialization is in full swing. When it was 150,000 scruffy basic pilgrims, all was OK. But now there are groups, bus tours, and multiple ways for people to come to the city. They got what they wanted and it's too much. Oh, so now the blame it all on all the pilgrims?

Which is not to say I'd be averse to paying that. Not at all. I feel strongly that since we have a effect, we therefore have a role to play to mitigate it. It's not a lot. But this is hardly likely to close the pilgrim faucet. People will keep coming, tax or no tax.

I smell an ulterior motive.
Or something we don't know.
Because it doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this @Bradypus I am not knowledgeable enough to fully understand the situation - let alone the politics - and there does seem to be some ‘conflict of interests’ but this resonated -

“I want a Santiago from which there is no need to flee due to uncontrolled tourism..”

In Australia, my husband and I are lucky enough to live in a beautiful area where people like to visit but also has a thriving local community. But, sadly, in recent years, it has become unachievable for people with average means to rent or buy there as many properties are now on the overnight and short term rental market to cater for tourism. Many including young families - the future of the community - have been forced to leave as they can no longer afford to live there. I know Santiago and other heavily touristed towns have introduced new rules aimed at regulating short term accommodation which would formerly have been available to local people.

I don’t know the solution. And maybe this is a money grab disguised as something else. I couldn’t say. But I do know that while tourism can bring a lot to a town or an area in some ways, often the local community bears the long term cost. Hopefully some of the euros from the proposed tax can go towards ensuring affordable housing and other essential infrastructure for local people. I will happily pay the tax 🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think that this is long overdue. Whatever role the city had in fomenting tourism, the fact is that the huge influx of non-residents puts a huge strain on public services that for the most part we don’t pay for. But I agree with everyone who says that adding this tax is not going to do anything to reduce the tourist trade.

I don’t think the ulterior motive is anything other than revenue. Lots of cities have this kind of tax.

I don’t think the ulterior motive is anything other than revenue.
Perhaps, though it doesn't fix what's out of balance. So I just hope they plan to use some that revenue to support affordable housing. As @Pelerina says quite succinctly - it's housing that's one of the biggest issues. To deal with that there needs to e regulation, zoning, and support for housing that normal people can afford.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

When I was there is June, the majority of people in the square and in the cathedral were tourists, most likely day tourists. They are easily spotted by the flimsy headphones and the guide shepherding them around. It's a popular place!

I would be happy to pay a tourist tax. I feel it is a privilege to be in Santiago.

Hell would probably freeze before the Xunta and the new mayor of Santiago joined up for everything.

The Xunta pushes the Camino. The people of Santiago (not all, obviously, but many) are fed up with the issues brought on by the large number of visitors (similar issues as in other touristic cities). Also, in the last couple of weeks there have been severals reports of antisocial behaviour by pilgrims/tourists: people camping anywhere in the city (someone even tried in front of the cathedral), people having picnics in the middle of the square, people destroying the square's pavement to take a piece of stone as a souvenir and even someone climbing up the Holy Door. That's what's motivating the idea of tourist tax and maybe other measures.

Introducing a "tourist tax" is always greeted negatively, no matter the city. Santiago is not the first city to think of such a thing and it won't be the last. I see two things:

1. The mayor should stop probably avoid saying things like, “I want this municipality to stop being just a tourist destination and a theme park." Tourism in Santiago is the Genie out of the bottle. I'm sure they have already crafted budgets that depend upon tourism.

2. Tourists, be they pilgrims or day-trippers, have to accept the reality of prices going up. Municipalities must raise revenue to support and expand an infrastructure that must accommodate more than just the resident population. As tourists we want these places to be clean and safe and enjoyable. We have to be willing to pay our fair share.

Municipal budgets and "tourism taxes" will always be viewed skeptically by some and that is not bad. People should be allowed to question and be dubious. But as guests we have to understand this is ultimately a local issue to solve. If the mayor's party has openly discussed raising a "tourism tax" and they were elected into office than that is the will of the people. We have to respect that.

Lastly, someone must get rid of the phrase "tourism tax." That's just bad messaging. Maybe "infrastructure enhancement tax?" Or "municipal services support tax?" Just going for the alliteration of "tourism tax" is just plain lazy. :)

I relinquish the soap box.

What motivates a tourist tax is first and foremost making money.

Maybe that money helps with some problems that arise because of too many tourists/visitors/pilgrims (which vocabulary is still allowed?), maybe not.

Has the Xunta stopped advertizing the Camino? I guess not. So they don't really mind, as long as the crowds walking bring some money with them.

A tax doesn't keep off tourists nor pilgrims or everything inbetween. Not even the poorest pilgrims - they sleep outside the city walls or in a hidden spot in the streets. The better off tourists who pay 60€ or more in a hotel per day probably don't mind 5€/day tax, or whatever it is. The tax certainly doesn't stop poor behaviour from ignorant visitors, also.

I don't mind and would pay the tax even though I'm at the lower spectrum of income. It's a normal thing in many cities by now to pay some sort of tax. In some it has been normal for a long time.

But if anyone thinks that this will help to keep pilgrims numbers down or to stop bad behaviour... Let's say that's very optimistic.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What motivates a tourist tax is first and foremost making money.
Often it's more about financing some tourist initiatives without detriment to the locals.

In my walks across Southern Europe, I've found that locations with healthy tourist structures where people are generally happy to at least eat & drink tend not to have this sort of tax.

With all Respect Due... don't all already PAY some form of tourist.... ahem... infrastructure tax?
The occupancy tax in any accommodations for rent?
As as part of :
Any meal bought in the city?
Parking fees wherever one may park. (garages, lots, meters on the street, etc.)?
Transportation incl. trains, planes and automobiles?
Any goods purchased from merchants?
Fees to museums and such?

For the fear of being perhaps the lone dissenting voice, when I hear the word "tax" I cringe and shudder....

..and it also seems to be an interesting circle that has indeed repeated itself in many places as have been mentioned in posts above:
- Please, PLEASE come to our <insert place here > and see what we offer. WE LOVE TO SEE YOU!!! WE LOVE YOU, WE WELCOME YOU!!!!
- Ooops.... there is just too many of you; we should... TAX you.... yeah, that's it
😡😡😡😡😠😥

And I'm off MY soapbox now 😇

But if anyone thinks that this will help to keep pilgrims numbers down or to stop bad behaviour... Let's say that's very optimistic.
Depends how much they charge. If they jacked the prices up to 20-30 euros, it might have the desired effect. At 5 euros, most won't care. But if it costs more than the average cost of a bed in an albergue, then people will sit up and take notice.

Saying that it will just push people out of the city. The albergues and hotels outside of Santiago will do a roaring trade, but those within will start to see a slump.

To be fair this has been coming for a while. The FICS thread that I quoted in the rule 14 thread almost pointed towards this issue in a round about / undercurrent type of way. Even when i walked in 2017 some people were moaning about the number of people in the cathedral square. So this really doesn't surprise me. I suspect a tax would have been enacted long ago except for Covid.

How many of us actually spend a lot of time in Santiago. I never do. It's an end point for my pilgrimage. I finish, go to mass, then go do something else (usually involving sitting in the hot springs in Ourense for a day or two). I have walked around Santiago a couple of times in the past and done the sightseeing thing the first year I walked. I would rather spend my post camino time out at Muxia or Ourense, chilling out and relaxing.

In Australia, my husband and I are lucky enough to live in a beautiful area where people like to visit but also has a thriving local community. But, sadly, in recent years, it has become unachievable for people with average means to rent or buy there as many properties are now on the overnight and short term rental market to cater for tourism. Many including young families - the future of the community - have been forced to leave as they can no longer afford to live there. I know Santiago and other heavily touristed towns have introduced new rules aimed at regulating short term accommodation which would formerly have been available to local people.
I don’t know the solution...
@Pelerina, it's this very situation which put the final nail in the coffin of my plans to spend a few years in Spain under the NLV scheme. I couldn't find 'stable' rental accommodation in my desired location/s. I wasn't set on one place but rather had a few options in the hope I'd be able to find something somewhere for the duration...or at least a year, to comply with visa requirements.

Having decided against buying, what I found instead was rental properties with clauses galore;

*9 month leases so the property was available for short-term seasonal accom
*rentals where you had to vacate on weekends/public holidays/festivals, etc
*12 month leases but with higher rent during holiday/high season periods (to make up for 'losses' by not being available for short term accom)
etc, etc...it was quite astonishing & I wondered about the legality of it but I guess there are always 'work arounds' with wording & permits.
It's definitely a problem & one that stretches to many shores. Like you, I don't know the solution either but local governments everywhere are struggling to act quickly & appropriately enough. 🤔 🤷‍♀️
👣🌏

Who started pushing the Camino, flattening and bulldozing rural paths to turn them into gravel roads? Now they wish there were fewer of us? They should have thought of that earlier.

To be fair it wasn't the city of Santiago that did that, it was the Xunta Galicia. But the snowball effect of camino-centered commercialization is in full swing. When it was 150,000 scruffy basic pilgrims, all was OK. But now there are groups, bus tours, and multiple ways for people to come to the city. They got what they wanted and it's too much. Oh, so now the blame it all on all the pilgrims?

Which is not to say I'd be averse to paying that. Not at all. I feel strongly that since we have a effect, we therefore have a role to play to mitigate it. It's not a lot. But this is hardly likely to close the pilgrim faucet. People will keep coming, tax or no tax.

I smell an ulterior motive.
Or something we don't know.
Because it doesn't make sense.
There’s already a tourist tax in other cities, basically amounts to a few extra euros added onto the lodging by accommodation type.

We probably won’t even notice it in the long run, but they need to make a big stink about it to push it through and justify a new stream of income.

Whatever you call it there is nothing sinister or anything to worry about with an imposition of such a "tourist tax".
Local Authorities (and Governments) have no money of their own. The services they provide are paid for by the residents of that jurisdiction and a visitor enjoys the benefits of a lot of these services without necessarily paying for them.
Although a visitor spends money this is disproportionately spread and isn't directly allocated to the services that are provided.
However, and whatever, services are provided they have to be paid for.
Such an imposition of this kind of tax is not a "money making scheme", it is merely to pay for the increase and extra spending that is needed and not to impose it on the residential population.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Often it's more about financing some tourist initiatives without detriment to the locals.

In my walks across Southern Europe, I've found that locations with healthy tourist structures where people are generally happy to at least eat & drink tend not to have this sort of tax.

Most places, people tend to show some common sense and not act like buffoons. The people having picnics, putting up tents and climbing on the church are a large part of why these taxes are coming (as stated by @MariaSP).

Solutions to these behaviours.

A campsite that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to stay at, like a municipal one and get the local police to collect the money from whomever is staying there. You achieve income and you also proactively police the area. Make it a tent only campsite and maybe require a credencial to stay there. It doesn't have to be in the middle of the city either, just needs to be affordable for those pilgrims that aren't well off enough to afford albergues or have conditions that don't allow for them to stay indoors (health, ex-military, etc). Priced to be inclusive of all and you will remove the vast majority of the people camping in parks and anywhere they feel like. FTR, the campsite near the Carrefour is pretty expensive.

Picnics and people climbing are a pure policing issue. Both years I walked the number of police in the cathedral square was minimal at best. You honestly see more in towns and cities in most other countries in Europe than in Santiago. They didn't seem to get proactive policing as a concept, so a side effect of that was at least two pickpocket gangs (that I had identified) and a multitude of beggars (that may have been in cahoots with the pickpockets). On a side note, I find it highly amusing that the people that are begging, also seem to have the most expensive phones, that even i can't afford (or justify) to spend money on. ;)

If you have a problem, you can be proactive and work around it, or you can bury your head in the sand and come up with some half baked solution that causes you more problems down the line. From everything I've seen of Spain over the years, proactive is not a word usable when describing local government. It's all reactive, as opposed to proactive. Why let things get bad, when you can fix them before they become a problem. I suppose if they did that, then the locals would be happy and they wouldn't have any causes or issues to use in their politicial campaigns.

Picnics and people climbing are a pure policing issue. Both years I walked the number of police in the cathedral square was minimal at best. You honestly see more in towns and cities in most other countries in Europe than in Santiago. They didn't seem to get proactive policing as a concept, so a side effect of that was at least two pickpocket gangs (that I had identified) and a multitude of beggars (that may have been in cahoots with the pickpockets). On a side note, I find it highly amusing that the people that are begging, also seem to have the most expensive phones, that even i can't afford (or justify) to spend money on. ;)

If you have a problem, you can be proactive and work around it, or you can bury your head in the sand and come up with some half baked solution that causes you more problems down the line. From everything I've seen of Spain over the years, proactive is not a word usable when describing local government. It's all reactive, as opposed to proactive. Why let things get bad, when you can fix them before they become a problem. I suppose if they did that, then the locals would be happy and they wouldn't have any causes or issues to use in their politicial campaigns.

Firstly : These pickpockets and beggars are victim of others who have power over them. It is a big business for the few that hold the power over those poor and very often illiterate people.
Take the time to type in some keywords about this theme in the searchbox.

Secondly : Can you please share your examples where you noticed that local Spanish governments acted in a reactive way instead of a proactive one? I don't see much difference with other democratic countries worldwide.

In general I think that the Spaniards are pretty capable to sort their things out themselves without the help of us , passing pilgrims.

Last edited:
On my recent Camino in Spain in the Norte, we stayed in all private accommodations; guest houses, pensiones, and a few hotels. We sometimes were charged two taxes, I think usually in cities although I did not pay close attention. I don't think I had encountered that in the past, but I accepted what seemed to be a new change.

The article says that the new mayor Goretti Sanmartín is calling for the same policy which Bugallo put forward earlier this year.
I had to google to find out a bit more. I am willing to bet that she is the only mayor in all of Spain who is also a member of the Real Academia, in her case the Real Academia Gallega.

I also knew nothing about her political party, and wikipedia filled that void quite nicely. Bloque Nacionalista Galego.

I think it’s unlikely that this tax is going to address affordable housing issues, though that is certainly a big issue in Santiago. Seems like it’s a perfect time to get strong council backing for this tax given the headlines about all of the crazy behavior in the historical center, and my impression from reading more sources in the press is that this tax will be directed primarily at trying to mitigate the impact of the huge crowds.

Santiago is trying to do something in the affordability area, though, with a program to license/regulate/reduce Airbnbs and other temporary housing. Looks like a few major legal hurdles (involving the city’s legal authority to impose regulations) have been surpassed and there is talk that a big percentage of these units may be required to close…. but that will take time. That certainly won’t solve the problem either, but it is one of the sources of the problem of rising rents.

Lots of articles in the Spanish press, here are just a couple:

With all Respect Due... don't all already PAY some form of tourist.... ahem... infrastructure tax?
The occupancy tax in any accommodations for rent?
As as part of :
Any meal bought in the city?
Parking fees wherever one may park. (garages, lots, meters on the street, etc.)?
Transportation incl. trains, planes and automobiles?
Any goods purchased from merchants?
Fees to museums and such?

For the fear of being perhaps the lone dissenting voice, when I hear the word "tax" I cringe and shudder....

..and it also seems to be an interesting circle that has indeed repeated itself in many places as have been mentioned in posts above:
- Please, PLEASE come to our <insert place here > and see what we offer. WE LOVE TO SEE YOU!!! WE LOVE YOU, WE WELCOME YOU!!!!
- Ooops.... there is just too many of you; we should... TAX you.... yeah, that's it
😡😡😡😡😠😥

And I'm off MY soapbox now 😇
Indeed. I think (think being the key word because I cannot declare I know the answer) it can be a difficult problem for municipalities to work out. When cost of goods and services goes up and the number of visitors goes up does the current tax formula increase at the same rate? I am not an economist or intimately familiar with Santiago’s governing structure at all. In general it seems to be the same dilemma faced around the world. Godspeed to those tasked with finding the answer.

A campsite that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to stay at, like a municipal one and get the local police to collect the money from whomever is staying there. You achieve income and you also proactively police the area. Make it a tent only campsite and maybe require a credencial to stay there. It doesn't have to be in the middle of the city either, just needs to be affordable for those pilgrims that aren't well off enough to afford albergues or have conditions that don't allow for them to stay indoors (health, ex-military, etc). Priced to be inclusive of all and you will remove the vast majority of the people camping in parks and anywhere they feel like. FTR, the campsite near the Carrefour is pretty expensive.

I stayed on the As Cancelas campground up on the hill last year. It cost about as much as a private albergue. If I recall correctly it was possible to check in until midnight. Supermarket more or less next door. Perfect after a long walking day and for staying a few days after arrival in Santiago. They even have a pool ect., I'd say the price is okay, shade in the parcelas, not too far from the cathedral... I had worse campsites for more money elsewhere.

And why would you need police to run a campsite? The police has other things to do, namely their work. They're highly trained professionals. People with tents are not more criminals than those in albergues. Or should the police Run the albergues, too? I'm not sure they'd be happy about that!

Honestly, I'd love a cheap, simple campsite in Santiago as much as anywhere. But tent campers are such a tiny fraction of visitors to Santiago that there's probably not much public interest in something like that.

Easiest option would be to officially allow camping for a small fee at the Monte do Gozo albergue. But I think that's unlikely, because there's a campsite closeby (even though it is not cheap, no food shops nearby, bar closed in the evening, so more or less useless for pilgrims on a budget, who probably simply discretely wild camp close to the albergue, setting up tent in the dark and leaving before sunrise, so unnoticed by anyone).

Disrespectful people would still camp in a park next to the cathedral, even if there would be a free campground outside the city center, because they don't give a sh*** and do what's most convenient for them.

The problem of people doing wild camping in a totally inappropriate way has nothing to do with people on a budget or with people who prefer to camp. It's just idiots who happen to carry a tent.

Other idiots who stay in hotels might be the ones who have a fancy picnic in the plaza to take some photos for Instagram with their Champagne, or someone staying in an albergue is the jerk who writes their name on all waymarkers and steals the km plates.

I think the number of people behaving disrespectful and inappropriately is high simply because of the high numbers of people visiting Santiago. The more people come, the higher the number of jerks and idiots.

The tax (where I live it's usually 2-5€/day in towns with many tourists) can help maintaining infrastructure for tourists or to pay for expenses like waste disposal (many visitors, more rubbish), ect.

It does not stop entitled people from acting selfish, nor idiots from acting stupid.

And please don't throw all tent campers into a category that requires police supervision of the tent area. Most avid tent campers / hikers are extremely respectful to their surroundings and the environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.