• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feast Day Mass

AR1965

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Summer 2024
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a Pilgrim's Mass the day before?

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Which feast? 25 June does not appear to be a major festival. Do you mean 25 July? - the feast of St James? If so the chances of getting a seat at the principal mass are minimal. Most of the seats are reserved for official guests.

Which feast? 25 June does not appear to be a major festival. Do you mean 25 July? - the feast of St James? If so the chances of getting a seat at the principal mass are minimal. Most of the seats are reserved for official guests.
Yes July. I just edited it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Attend Mass the day before, or check the website for the *earliest* Mass on the 25 ( there won't be a " normal" schedule). As Bradypus said, the primary Mass(es) are reserved for local officials, and sometimes national ones.

I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a Pilgrim's Mass the day before?
my understanding is that the general public is allowed to attend the High Mass on the 25th. However, as there will be a gazillion dignitaries, usually the King and his entourage, definitely the President of Galicia and the Mayor, and their entourages, and etc etc. you may have to stand in line and cross your fingers for the available seating in the back. that said, there will be at least three other Masses for pilgrims on the 25th that will not have all this fanfare. good luck and Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last November 1, I attended the 11:45 am High Mass for the Feast of All Saints, arrived about an hour early got one of the last seats in the transcept. Although not as big as the Feast of St James, it was a still the celebration of a major feast day, with the Archbishop, numerous priests, a procession of the Saint accompanied by bassoons and oboes, a beautiful choir, and the Botafumerio, used as part of the Mass, and not just stuck at the end. Some of the seats up front were reserved, but not all. And they welcomed pilgrims at the beginning, as they do at the Pilgrims Masses. It was really beautiful and definitely worth the waiting time beforehand. If you want to attend the Mass for St James, go for it. Just show up really early. Good luck and Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

The Santiago pilgrim office issued 3,171 Compostelas today. The second time so far this year when the total has been over 3,000. The first was on Good Friday when 3,193 Compostelas were handed out.
Hello, so my plans have slightly changed after completing the Coastal Portuguese and Finisterre/Muxia caminos on June 13. I now have 2 extra days in Santiago and was wondering where I should head...
When I go to the pilgrim office website at the moment I am receiving a warning about the website's security certificates. Same on both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers. And if I disregard...
Hi my name is Bren I have started a daily AA English speaking meeting At 3Rua da Porta da Pena Casa Anglicana 6-7pm daily. Spread the word

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.