• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Register with SEF Portuguese Immigration

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacklam349

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese coastal route
According to US embassy begin quote <<If you are not staying in a hotel or a similar tourist accommodation, you are required to register your presence in Portugal with the Portuguese Immigration Service (SEF) within three working days of entering Portugal. You must download a declaration of entry form (declaracão de entrada) from SEF's website and personally submit it to the nearest SEF office within three business days of entry. Failure to comply with these requirements will result in an administrative offense punishable with a fine from €60 to €160. << end quote

Is there printer which one can print the form, fill it and submit in person ? Is it still required ?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
According to US embassy
Erm ... your avatar says "Montenegro". Do you have a Portuguese, other EU, or US passport? Are you flying to Portugal or are you crossing the Spanish-Portuguese land border (without a border control station) when you travel to Portugal? Are you planning to camp or stay with private persons all the time? Are you already in Portugal?

Did you follow the links to Portuguese government websites that are proposed on the website of the US embassy in ... (where?) and looked at the further information provided by the Portuguese SEF (Service for Foreigners and Borders) on their own websites?

You don't have to answer any of these questions on the forum but you ought to put them to yourself.

You need to read this text in context to find out whether this text even applies to your situation.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
According to US embassy begin quote <<If you are not staying in a hotel or a similar tourist accommodation, you are required to register your presence in Portugal with the Portuguese Immigration Service (SEF) within three working days of entering Portugal. You must download a declaration of entry form (declaracão de entrada) from SEF's website and personally submit it to the nearest SEF office within three business days of entry. Failure to comply with these requirements will result in an administrative offense punishable with a fine from €60 to €160. << end quote

Is there printer which one can print the form, fill it and submit in person ? Is it still required ?
I checked your links, and see this, but I would echo what Anniesantiago says, with the proviso that I am Canadian rather than American. I, with partner, go to Portugal on a regular basis and do not stay in a hotel or tourist accommodation. I have never done this. The immigration officer in the airport has usually asked me where I'm staying, and I say "in our own house," and they say "have a good visit" or similar, and that's it!

The only thing I can think of, that this might refer to, is the online form you have to submit saying where you'll be, in case they need to track you down if there turned out to be a Covid-positive person on your inbound flight. Otherwise, the note makes no sense!

Edited to add a link to the entry form: https://portugalcleanandsafe.pt/en/passenger-locator-card

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of, that this might refer to, is the online form you have to submit saying where you'll be, in case they need to track you down if there turned out to be a Covid-positive person on your inbound flight. Otherwise, the note makes no sense!
It's not Covid-19 related. It is a standard requirement of the Portugal government. It just doesn't apply to everyone who comes to Portugal and not every time. Many EU countries have similar requirements. Non-residents who are on a visit often don't even know that such an obligation exists.

ENTRY BY WAY OF A BORDER NOT SUBJECT TO BORDER CONTROL/DECLARATION OF ENTRY
Foreign nationals entering into Portugal by a border not subject to border control are required to submit a declaration of their entry, within 3 working days from the date of entry, to the Immigration and Borders Service, except foreign nationals who are:​
  • Resident or authorized to stay in the country for more than six months;
  • Benefiting from the community system or equivalent (Schengen/EU law);
  • Lodging in a hotel establishment or equivalent.
How to submit a Declaration of Entry? (<- Rcommended reading!!!)​

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had a look at SEF and found this.

Foreign nationals entering into Portugal by a border not subject to border control are required to declare that within 3 working days from the date of entry, in the Immigration and Borders Service, except foreign nationals:

• Benefiting from the community system or equivalent;

So it appears to apply only if you haven't already been through immigration control.

It's not Covid-19 related. It is a standard requirement of the Portugal government. It just doesn't apply to everyone who com:;;;;;es to Portugal and not every time. Many EU countries have similar requirements. Non-residents who are on a visit often don't even know that it exists.

ENTRY BY WAY OF A BORDER NOT SUBJECT TO BORDER CONTROL/DECLARATION OF ENTRY
Foreign nationals entering into Portugal by a border not subject to border control are required to declare that within 3 working days from the date of entry, with the Immigration and Borders Service, except foreign nationals who are:​
  • Benefiting from the community system or equivalent;
Ah-ha! The key here is the bolded headline. "By way of a border not subject to border control" -- I would assume this means if you were walking across the border from Spain, or entering by boat from the Atlantic, or similar.

Arriving by plane from the US or otherwise is definitely by way of "a border subject to border control."

Erm ... your avatar says "Montenegro". Do you have a Portuguese, other EU, or US passport? Are you flying to Portugal or are you crossing the Spanish-Portuguese land border (without a border control station) when you travel to Portugal? Are you planning to camp or stay with private persons all the time? Are you already in Portugal?

Did you follow the links to Portuguese government websites that are proposed on the website of the US embassy in ... (where?) and looked at the further information provided by the Portuguese SEF (Service for Foreigners and Borders) on their own websites?

You don't have to answer any of these questions on the forum but you ought to put them to yourself.

You need to read this text in context to find out whether this text even applies to your situation.
I am US citizen/passport - 3 doses of covid19 vaccine. I read/quoted the text from the US embassy in Portugal.
But you know - sometime they are not updated!!!

That is the reason I posted this to ask foreigners traveled to Portugal /for the Camino.

I also read in Travel.state.gov Portugal that tourists have to pay 2 euros per day while in Portugal.

So I am thinking first I have to print the form filled out the form, find the local SEF office to submit the form.
And then where do I pay the tourist tax - does it required the rental owner name and number of days.

Because I am travelling in Montenegro as tourist and every time, I moved to a new accommodation / city, I have to pay the 1 euro per day and at the office they require rental owner name and how number of days am i staying at that address !!!!

I have crossed the border to Bosnia and Herzegovian by bus - And one of the tourists did not know / pay the tourist tax. He was fined twice the amounts.

I will fly from Munich to Lisbon.

While we are at this subject ... I read that Portugal is adopted the EU covid19 rule of February - No PCR test for entering into Portugal.

I checked the embassy page and the re-open EU app - it still requires negative PCR test.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am US citizen/passport - 3 doses of covid19 vaccine. I read/quoted the text from the US embassy in Portugal.

I will fly from Munich to Lisbon.
These are two important elements. Forget about the rest.

What you also need to take into account: Where did you get vaccinated, i.e. who/which country issued your vaccination certificates, especially the last one, in your case it is the booster jab. Is it an EU country? - Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, or Lichtenstein? - UK, New Zealand or Montenegro? - Australia or Canada? - USA?

Last edited:
These are two important elements. Forget about the rest.

What you also need to take into account: Where did you get vaccinated, i.e. who/which country issued your vaccination certificates, especially the last one, in your case it is the booster jab. Is it an EU country? - Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, or Lichtenstein? - UK, New Zealand or Montenegro? - Australia or Canada? - USA?
All three doses are received in NYC. I have the Covid-19 vaccination EXclsisor Pass Plus with QR code on my iphone.
I have crossed Albania, Montenegro, and Bosnia and Herzegovia. The CDC paper card is acceptable for those countries. I will go to Croatia soon and I have filled out the entry form for Croatia. It seems CDC card is okay. And I will cross to Germany from Croatia (which is considered high risk by German). And the requirement for Germany is the vaccination certificate and a form filled online. (So far none of these countries require negative PCR test - if vaccinated)

All three doses are received in NYC. I have the Covid-19 vaccination EXclsisor Pass Plus with QR code on my iphone.
OK. You do not have to fill in the SEF Portuguese Immigration form and register with the authorities within 3 days. You are a US tourist and you enter Portugal, coming from Germany. Your flight starts and ends within the EU/Schengen area. The rules of this Portuguese immigration form and registration do not apply to you. (I assume you know the rule about US tourists not being allowed to stay longer than 90 days within a 6 months period?)

You do not have to pay €2 per day. This is a tourist tax that is automatically included in the price of your hotel room or similar accommodation in some towns. In Portugal, you pay your hotel bill at the end of your stay and that's it.

You need to fill in the Portuguese Passenger Locator Card before your flight to Portugal.

I myself cannot say whether your CDC card in connection with your NYC vaccination certificate is accepted for your flight from Munich to Lisbon and exempts you from the obligation to test. The language on the relevant Portuguese websites is just too unclear for me to understand. You need to provide the certificate(s) that your airline/crew at the gate wants to see. Best case scenario: You don't need a test. Worst case scenario: You get a Covid-19 test with a negative result in Munich shortly before your flight. This will provide you with an EU test certificate and you are good to go.

Bon voyage!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The US embassy in Portugal has also updated their website (February 7):

https://pt.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Again no clear-cut statement:

An EU Digital Certificate must be presented if the traveler does not present a negative COVID test (PCR 72 hours or Rapid Antigen 24 hours). PLEASE CONFIRM WITH YOUR AIRLINE COMPANY IF YOUR VACCINATION CERTIFICATE IS VALID BEFORE MAKING TRAVEL PLANS.​

Ah-ha! The key here is the bolded headline. "By way of a border not subject to border control" -- I would assume this means if you were walking across the border from Spain, or entering by boat from the Atlantic, or similar.

Arriving by plane from the US or otherwise is definitely by way of "a border subject to border control."
I have walked and cycled over borders into and out of Portugal several times and never been questioned entering or leaving! Was shocked to read this. I travel on nz or Brit passports.

They're probably more worried about yachties--they can easily come from outside the EU and/or Schengen area. If you've walked in, you've probably been checked in somewhere else.

(The following is slightly more to do with Covid than with immigration, but I can remember in the earlier months of the pandemic, there were sailors coming into the Azores and/or the Algarve from outside the EU, and they were essentially kept in no man's land, isolated on their boats, even though they'd been at sea (and could prove it) for a lot longer than the incubation period of the virus.

Things have calmed down somewhat...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
They're probably more worried about yachties--they can easily come from outside the EU and/or Schengen area. If you've walked in, you've probably been checked in somewhere else.
Many European countries have tightened the obligation to register. Context is fight against terrorism mainly and also irregular immigration. The Portuguese "Declaration of Entry" is mandatory for foreign citizens (third country nationals) who stay in private or accommodation units which don’t submit accommodation forms to SEF. Hotels have to submit this information. What about albergues in Portugal, do they have to do this? We know that albergues in Spain have to submit this information about pilgrims spending the night to the Guarda Civil.

Last edited:
I have walked and cycled over borders into and out of Portugal several times and never been questioned entering or leaving! Was shocked to read this. I travel on nz or Brit passports.
Border = land border, sea border and air border.
And air border is not an invisible line through the air around the whole country. Air border is at the airport. Where border control sits.

So yes, Portugal has border with border control and border without border control.

Many European countries have tightened the obligation to register. Context is fight against terrorism mainly and also irregular immigration. The Portuguese "Declaration of Entry" is mandatory for foreign citizens (third country nationals) who stay in private or accommodation units which don’t submit accommodation forms to SEF. Hotels have to submit this information. What about albergues in Portugal, do they have to do this? We know that albergues in Spain have to submit this information about pilgrims spending the night to the Guarda Civil.
I got those info about registering with SEF from the US embassy in Portugal. Some one in this thread stated that I do not need to personally go to the local SEF to register. Of course, I am walking from Porto to Santiago de Compostela and staying in albergues - So I hope that the albergues will register me. If not, is that my fault ? Will I get into trouble leaving Portugal ? Booked flight to fly back to Munich from Santiago de Compostela.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I got those info about registering with SEF from the US embassy in Portugal. Some one in this thread stated that I do not need to personally go to the local SEF to register. Of course, I am walking from Porto to Santiago de Compostela and staying in albergues - So I hope that the albergues will register me. If not, is that my fault ? Will I get into trouble leaving Portugal ?
After what has already been written about this: Does it not give you pause for thought that numerous members of this forum have walked on Camino in Portugal and travelled as tourists around in Portugal (myself included, btw) and not a single one of them has ever mentioned an obligation to register as tourists with SEF, the Portuguese Border Control Service?

Thank you everybody for being patient with me. My bad, i did not read it correctly "If you are not staying in a hotel or a similar tourist accommodation, you are required to register your presence in Portugal with the SEF." quoted from site: travel.state.gov Portugal
This thread can be closed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back