• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Renfe

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
I've been trying to search for trains on Renfe, to estimate how much they'll be and at what time, but it just keeps telling me there is no train! And I know there is... Is there a trick to using Renfe's site?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How far out are you searching?

Not sure where you are located but this site was listed on another thread for north Americans, it might be easier.
http://petrabax.com/

Ash

I was searching for March, but I've also tried January and February, to no avail. Madrid to Mérida.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
RENFE is a horrible website to use, IMO. But I plugged in Madrid to Merida on January 9 and got these trains, ranging from 4 to 7 hours in duration, around 40 euros price

Leaving from Atocha at 8 am, 10:15, 2:19 pm (have to transfer, longest trip), 3:45 pm, 4:00 pm.

If they are not showing trains for your date yet, it means they haven't figured it out yet, I think.

But I'll bet the schedule will be similar to the one I've seen for January. Buen camino, Laurie

Suggest you also check with the german rail site which normally has all the schedules for all trains in Europe for the year - won't get the price but you should be able to confirm the times and routing - which can change throughout the year.

You are too far ahead of yourself for a date in March. Simply look to an imminent date on RENFE's site to find what will almost certainly be available, little or nothing will change before June next with the schedules or pricing. And any other website or agency site is reliant on RENFE's input and should not be trusted to provide all daily detail. You should monitor on a weekly basis until closer to the time and then monitor daily until you can see all and purchase.This could be as early as 60 days before.
A guide (one of many) to purchase on line and discounting is here - http://www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#How_to_use_www.renfe.com

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Renfe madrid to merida. The new schedule is not out yet. Information on the last schedule for 17/01/2014. If you are coming from madrid barajas airport, you can buy ticket at the renfe station for madrid*-merida. You ticket will include the free commuter train (cercanias) to madrid atocha station where you will board your train for merida. As stated by laurie, the schedules will be more or less the same.

On this particular day, there are 4 trains departing for merida.
R express 17014 Dep 08.07. Arr 13.11. Duration. 5h 4 min Price 2nd cl. 30.25€
Intercity 17900. 10.18. 15.08. 4h. 50 min. 36.30
Md 99778. 14.32. 21.42. 7h 10 min. 41.20
Note: you have to transfer to another train, so i don't recommend it.
Intercity 17194. 16.19. 20.49. 4h 30 min. 36.30

I hope this helps. Buen camino

Renfe madrid to merida. The new schedule is not out yet. Information on the last schedule for 17/01/2014. If you are coming from madrid barajas airport, you can buy ticket at the renfe station for madrid*-merida. You ticket will include the free commuter train (cercanias) to madrid atocha station where you will board your train for merida. As stated by laurie, the schedules will be more or less the same.

On this particular day, there are 4 trains departing for merida.
R express 17014 Dep 08.07. Arr 13.11. Duration. 5h 4 min Price 2nd cl. 30.25€
Intercity 17900. 10.18. 15.08. 4h. 50 min. 36.30
Md 99778. 14.32. 21.42. 7h 10 min. 41.20
Note: you have to transfer to another train, so i don't recommend it.
Intercity 17194. 16.19. 20.49. 4h 30 min. 36.30

I hope this helps. Buen camino
Thanks. I finally found a schedule for a similar day by looking on Jan. 12. I tried the same thing for the following Sunday and got nothing. Do they do schedules a month at a time, or a certain chunk of dates? Also, how does purchasing the ticket online work? Can I purchase them ahead of time and pick them up when we arrive, or would it be better to wait until we get there and purchase all our tickets for the trip in person at the same time? I've only purchased them in person in France, but I was living there at the time and could just walk down to the station.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello,

First of all where are you coming from? If you are from north america, you are going to have some problems with using your credit card to purchase renfe tickets directly. If you live in europe, you can purchased ticket online using your credit card. I have no experience with purchasing tickets online from other continent as i live in europe. I have heard that if you have a paypal account, it is possible for you to buy renfe tickets online. There are other peregrinos who can advised you on this topic.

Now i don't always have smooth sailings with trying to access renfe online. Sometimes i am unable to access them even from london. I believe the schedules from the 18th of january has not been released yet. So just be patience. For more information, try to access the Man_in_Seat_61 on www.tripadvisor.co.uk.

Am i to assume that you are trying to book advanced discounted tickets? If not, you can always buy your ticket at the renfe office in madrid barajas airport. All ticket sold on the medium and long distance trains come with mandatory seat reservation. Renfe will not sell you a ticket if they are no seats left with exception of local trains.

In case you are able to buy ticket online, you will still need your locator number to pick up your ticket at the ticket machine in the train station or from the ticket window.

Good luck.

Sorry biloute,

If you can give me more info as to your arrival date and time and what airline and what terminal. And how many pax and when do you want to depart madrid for merida, i will monitor the renfe site and let you know as soon as they release the schedule.

I was able to get information about trains Madrid to Merida for December and for January 16 but not for January 23. It looks to work only about a month forward so its too early to try and get information for March.

Sometimes there are problems if your destination requires a transfer point but thats not the case here.

There are at least 3 direct and 1 or more that require a transfer daily.

I've only used the train system on 2 occasions ... I had no trouble buying a ticket at the station. So unless your time of travel is critical or timings are a bit tight I'd wait to purchase ... that allows max flex in your time appreciation. And, oh yeah, ... if you travel on holidays ...

Important to note that there are two train stations in Madrid: Atocha and Chamartin.
The trains to Merida that I looked at all stop at Atocha. Some but not all of them stop at Chamartin. Make sure you know where to go to catch your train of choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back