• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rest days. Camino Portuguese (Costal) Sept 2022

Mendip Mike

Mendip Mike
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues. Starting 26th August 2020 from Porto.
Hi All

I am hoping to start my first Camino, the Camino Portuguese, Coastal Route starting from Porto on the 2nd September 2022.
Flying into Porto from Bristol UK and getting the bus back to Porto from Santiago for the flight home

I estimate between say 11 and 12 days walking. In addition to the walking days I would like to build in 2 rest days one in the first half of the Pilgrimage and one in the second half.

As a start I have picked out Viana do Castelo as my fist stop and Pontevedra as my second. Not looking for anything too hedonistic just peaceful rest days with a bit of sightseeing. Have I made wise choices ?? If you can help me finalise my choices I would be so grateful.

Kind Regards
Mike

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well arriving in Porto is well worth visiting

Viana do Castelo is a nice town to stay an extra day and Pontevedra too
But you also can go to Valença do Minho (nice walk from Caminha ) stay overnight , look around visit the fortress , then walk over the Eiffel bridge into Spain and stay in Tui.

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Hi Mike!
I walked the Coastal, some of the Senda Littoral and the Espiritual Variant last September started walking on the 20th the weather was great!
If you can add a couple or more extra days i would say defo worth doing!!!!
I had no time constraints so i had a lot of stop over days 3 in Porto(so much to see and do) 2 in Viana do Castelo,3 days in Baiona,( on the Espiritual 2 days in Combarro,2 days Villanova de Arousa ) and 4 days in Santiago.
My favorites were Porto, Baiona, Santiago and Vianna in that order but that's my experience; my opinion others will have different opinions to mine!
But wherever you stay you will have a wonderful time
All the best
Woody

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well arriving in Porto is wel worth visiting

Viana do Castelo is a nice town to stay an extra day and Pontevedra too
But you also can go to Valença do Minho (nice walk from Caminha ) stay overnight , look around visit the fortress , then walk over the Eiffel bridge into Spain and stay in Tui.

Bom caminho
Thank you Albertinho for your confirmation re Viana do Castelo and Pontevedra as good places to stop over.

I plan to stay in Santiago for 2 days and my wife is coming to meet me in Porto at the end of my Pilgrimage
and we will stay there for 4 or 5 days.

Kind regards

Mike

As a start I have picked out Viana do Castelo as my fist stop and Pontevedra as my second. Not looking for anything too hedonistic just peaceful rest days with a bit of sightseeing. Have I made wise choices ?? If you can help me finalise my choices I would be so grateful.

Kind Regards
Mike
These are two good choices. Pontevedra is a slam dunk for the second half, with all its great tourist attractions, some related to the Camino and St. James. Less to do in Viana, although it is extremely scenic with its beautiful harbor and good views from the church on the mountain. Baiona further up the coast in Spain might be worth a look but you may need your rest stop sooner than that. So, I'd say the spacing is pretty good with Viana and Pontevedra.

Hi Mike!
I walked the Coastal, some of the Senda Littoral and the Espiritual Variant last September started walking on the 20th the weather was great!
I had no time constraints so i had a lot of stop over days 3 in Porto(so much to see and do) 2 in Viana do Castelo,3 days in Baiona,( on the Espiritual 2 days in Combarro,2 days Villanova de Arousa ) and 4 days in Santiago.
My favorites were Porto, Baiona, Santiago and Vianna in that order but that's my experience; my opinion others will have different opinions to mine!
All the best
Woody
Thanks Woody

That's great. I too have no time constraints so plan 2 days in Santiago and my wife is coming over to Porto to meet me and we plan to spend 4/5 in Porto as a short holiday.

Cheers

Mike

A selection of Camino Jewellery
These are two good choices. Pontevedra is a slam dunk for the second half, with all its great tourist attractions, some related to the Camino and St. James. Less to do in Viana, although it is extremely scenic with its beautiful harbor and good views from the church on the mountain. Baiona further up the coast in Spain might be worth a look but you may need your rest stop sooner than that. So, I'd say the spacing is pretty good with Viana and Pontevedra.

Thank you Albertinho for your confirmation re Viana do Castelo and Pontevedra as good places to stop over.

I plan to stay in Santiago for 2 days and my wife is coming to meet me in Porto at the end of my Pilgrimage
and we will stay there for 4 or 5 days.

Kind regards

Mike
A nice plan Mike 😎👍

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We are walking the same route in June 2022 and we are doing 6 days from Porto up to Baiona, having a rest day in Baiona, and then doing 6 more days walking into Santiago de Compostela

I took a rest day in Pontevedra in 2018. It's is a good choice. The historic district is is all walking streets. Good history, good food, and good services. Find a sidreria and try the local cider. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I took a rest day in Pontevedra in 2018. It's is a good choice. The historic district is is all walking streets. Good history, good food, and good services. Find a sidreria and try the local cider. Buen Camino
Local cider, that sounds great. So refreshing when the weather is hot. I will put a note in my Camino Diary !

We are walking the same route in June 2022 and we are doing 6 days from Porto up to Baiona, having a rest day in Baiona, and then doing 6 more days walking into Santiago de Compostela
We did the same...love Baiona.

I certainly agree with Albertinho: both Valença do Minho and Tui are fascinating places, for the street market and castle in the former, the cathedral and other churches in Tui, plus other places of interest and the general atmosphere in both. And they are only a twenty-minute walk apart, with wonderful views from the bridge. Buen Camino! Tom

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
W
Hi Mike!
All the best
Woody
hat did you see and do in Porto?

Most read last week in this forum

Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back