• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

return trip

amgirl5

Hi,

My name is Liz, and I'm leaving home for the Camino on August 14. I actually walked the Camino (Frances) in late spring/early summer of 2005. I got really bad tendonitis walking between Castrojeriz and Fromista, and then sprained both my ankles and took a bus from San Nicholas to Leon, and then again from Samos to Saria, so kinda' want to return and try to see if I can walk the whole thing.

I met a woman the day before I caught the bus who had walked before and said that she had walked it previously and then felt chased by it the following year, and so took a long leave from work to come back. I've off and on thought about that the past couple of years, and then I got laid off from work at the end of June, and woke up one morning with the thought that I needed to go back, and went to a church where the pastor kept repeating "there is more I need to tell you, but you are not ready." Waited a couple of weeks and then bought the ticket. It's kinda' short notice. I know that the last time I went I was really focused on my physical health, so I'm a little nervous about what this journey will be.

I haven't decided on shoes/boots yet. I was told the tendon issue was the boot (they are low, and mostly cloth, with some leather on the sides.) I definitely liked having them coming out of the Pyrenees, and they were helpful when I sprained my ankles, but have people been fairly comfortable with shoes? When I go to the sporting goods stores, they always suggest boots because of the mileage, and the fact that I'm carrying a pack.

Has anyone walked in August/September? What is a realistic mileage in the heat? Are there places to stay? (Or is it totally packed?)

In spite of the injuries/illness, etc., the Camino was an amazing experience.

May you all have amazing experiences, wherever you travel,
Peace, L

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I suggest you try some mid-level boots with good support and Gore-Tex linings. I walked the Portuguest route last September and had numerous water crossings and several days of rain. At that time, I too had low shoes and every night I would lie in bed with my calf muscles hurting. When I returned home, I contacted the shoe company and was told that the particular model I used was not suitable for hiking with a backpack! The lady told me that is why my legs hurt so much.

Get some good quality boots for backpacking and let their strengths help your legs and feet. You simply cannot skimp on the boots. They'll make or break your experience! Hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back