• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Roncesvalles in Snow (March 20th)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
you see thATS WHAt i was saying yesterday and someone sayed rain rain rain....snow snow snow then rain rain rain :?

Wow! This really reinforces the variable nature of weather on the camino, I guess, especially early in the year. We walked in December and January this year, and certainly it was cold, several times with extremely freezing fierce winds, heavy mist, some stretches of walking through snow underfoot etc , but over the whole 5 weeks we only actually had 2 days of rain and 2 days of some snow falling. We walked over O'Cebreiro with clear skies but could see on the televisions in the bars that the road was closing behind us, and later we met up with pilgrims in Santiago who had been just a day behind us and had been snowbound, waiting in in Ave Fenix albergue (Villafranca del Bierzo) for 3 days.
(take good gloves, we had waterproof caving gloves and a polar fleece headband or beanie and sleeveless shell, mmm, potential lifesavers)
Magnara

... as an update, most of this snow has now melted... witch has created a new problem.

Flooding.

The news now show rivers way over their normal levels.

So if you are leaving in the next few days, be prepared for some extra water.

Greetings from Santiago de Compostela,
Ivar

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ivar, what are the long-range forecasts showing? I will start my Camino at SJPdP on May 4, going only as far as Orisson the first day, but all the way to Roncevalles if the Route Napoleon is closed.

Should I plan to bring what I call my "Seattle gear?" (ski jacket, gloves, warm hat, long johns) :shock:

Most read last week in this forum