• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Round 2; Camino Madrid

ward4e

Time of past OR future Camino
'13-French Way
'18-Via de Plata
'23-Gibraltair
Hey Everyone,

So I completed Camino Frances in May this year, undeniably the best collection of experiences in my life to date! People, places and architecture astounded me my only regret is not being unable to talk to people! All the Spanish I could speak would have fitted on the back of a sello and well its safe to say I'm hooked on the long walk. I don't think I could live with myself walking and repeating the same way again so Madrid you're next on the list!

I need to re-grab a few items I destroyed on my last walk, well I incinerated them at Finistere but that's another bonfire story. I'm sorted on packing lists, getting a new "real" back pack and gear but what I'm concerned about are dates and conditions!

So far i'm sketching in buying my flights in April next year and flying direct to Madrid in Mid to late September to begin my walk. Weather will be summerish? turning cool? I walked in northern Spain in April / May and was rewarded with rain snow and tons of fun but I'm hoping to have dry cooler days this time..

People on the way, is late September / early October still considered high season on Camino Madrid?

I'm sure i'll get a few more questions but will post again soon. :wink:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sounds great! We set out from Madrid Oct. 4. Anyone else walking then?
Macarena, the albergue in Tres Cantos in your video, what hour does it open? Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Tres Cantos are open 06 00 to 24 00

There is albergue in Manzanares del Real. Ask to "cura párroco".

Other albergue are in Cercedilla.

Look vídeos of Camino de Madrid made for Migueloyor in this page. 8 vídeos.

Atention: Zamarramala have un horrible albergue: could, ugly and dirty. Better stay in Segovia.

The rest are very nice, but probably you dont look more pilgrins, perhaps a few bicipilgrins.

Kisses Macarena.

Re:thanks for the information

The videos are great. They make me excited to come to Madrid and begin our walk. Two weeks to go. I made note of your Refugio advice, Macarena. Much appreciated, Rosatonio

I have good intentions to make this my next camino. I am aiming for September or October 2013 also. I feel quite relaxed after finding my way along the Via de la Plata and Lycian Way. I will keep up the Spanish lessons.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For those walking the Camino de Madrid in the near future, be sure to check out Johnnie Walker's online guide: http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

I also have some updates from my walk in 2011 and can send them to anyone who wishes -- just send me a PM.

This camino is very different from the others I've walked. The infrastructure is way way ahead of the pilgrim numbers -- there are many incredible albergues, well equipped and well maintained, and just a trickle of pilgrims.

The other difference is the lack of elevation gain. This is essentially a flat camino, with a one day exception. The day from Cercedilla to Segovia, undoubtedly the most spectacular day, takes you up and pass in Fuenfria with the mountains all around and the Roman road and bridges under your feet.

Buen camino, Laurie

I agree with you Laurei, It´s a camino with great infrastructure. Always pretty close to albergues,restaurants,hostals/hotels and shops. I was never in trouble finding somewhere to stay, eat or sleep.
One of my best memorys where when I got to Alcacarén and picked up the key to the albergue in Bar Real and the lady in the bar asked me what I was going to eat at night and I answered that I would buy something at the shop and eat something in the albergue.She then offered me to make a 3 course dinner with wine for 7 euros . I ate in the bar a very nice dinner, The albergue was nice and clean.
Camino de Madrid is a bit like the Camino Frances with no pilgrims.
I walked camino de Madrid in June this year and now in september I want to do it again :D

Roger from Sweden

I really appreciate all of you sharing your experiences especially with our start date imminent. does anyone know if the pilgrim shop in Madrid pictured in the videos Macarena mentioned near the church where we get our passports stamped? Thanks, Rosatonio

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi rosatonio,

Sorry I'm not sure which pilgrim shop you are referring to. If you could tell us what video it's in, maybe someone will recognize it, or maybe macarena will be back on line and will see your question.

Just a quick comment about Alcazaren -- it sounds like things have really improved, Roger. When I was there in summer 2010, it was a newly constructed albergue on the way to total filthiness. There wasn't even any equipment for us to use to clean it, so we just had to let it go. I'm glad that someone seems to have taken over and that the standards have improved. That was really my only negative experience in terms of Camino de Madrid accommodation, so that's a pretty high percentage of excellent places!

Buen camino to everyone starting out, and please send updates for the online guide! Laurie

Hi Rosatonio

If you by pilgrim shop mean the association of camino de Madrid it´s on Calle Carretas 14 7th floor.
It´s close to Puerta del Sol and the church where you get your passports stamped.
I went to the church at there mass in the evening and me and one more pilgrim was called forward by the preast and he red for us. A great moment and a fantastic start of my pilgrimage.

Roger

Yes, that's the one I mean. Sadly we won't be able to get there in open hours nor to evening mass. We arrive near midnight and plan to find our way to Fuencarral via metro and begin from there the next day. I suppose we can get a selo at the hostal in Madrid where we are staying? It's the one Laurie recommended. You have all been very helpful. Thanks, Rosatonio

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Rosatonia, If you want a sello from city centre Madrid don't be afraid to produce your passport in every establishment you frequent.
Buen Camino.

We went to the 7th floor and the Association was not open .
Went for a short walk and saw the priest in the ""Santiago Church""
'Real Iglesia Parroquial De Santiago Y san juan Bautista" is on the stamp.
Lovely cafe's in square for lunch.
David

I'm not sure if this is too late but you can check my blog listed below. I'm just back. I loved it. I walked with a Spanish man. If on your own you will sleep and spend many days and nights on your own. Our experiences were all good, even the day when we couldn't stay in Ane as we had no food, no bar, no tienda, but on we went to Santa Maria (wonderful). Be prepared to buy bread and cheese, have a stash of snacks. The quiet and long windy roads, resin tree forests, el campo, the lovely people who talk to you, even when you don't understand, but somewhere along the line you pick up what they mean. One alberque Melgar ? had an axe, holy picture, cable ties, etc etc in the wardrobes (no kitchen, renovating) but bar made us food. Villalon, Puente Duero both wonderful.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for your post to Camino de Madrid.
So what about Ane, did you peep into the albergue, could you locate the village bar etc/
Oh, before asking questions I should read your blog :wink:

Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.