• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route from Bilbao to Burgos and its Name

Bob P

Time of past OR future Camino
First timer, leaving April 3rd from SJPDP
My Camino friend and I are looking at possibility of flying into Bilbao, then proceeding south to Burgos because we both want to see it again. Some maps look like that's a route, others don't show a route.
Does that route have a name?
Any experiences or information would be appreciated.
We're planning for mid April for next year.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I haven't walked that way but seen that route on maps as well. I think it's the Camino del Valle de Mena: https://www.rayyrosa.com/camino-del-valle-de-mena

The first day or two is the same as the Camino Olvidado and then the route heads south. Ive walked through some of that area on a different route and it's beautiful and solitary. No albergues or other pilgrims infrastructure though. I think you'd also need good GPS tracks to follow.

K

I have seen it from the window of a bus. It looks to be pretty well served with lodgings and restaurants until the final stretch when there is steep climb through a national park with no towns or stops.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Interesting! Thanks for the information. Having a route name helps. The idea came from looking at routes we could just walk off the plane and not ground transfer. Barcelona is a little long for our time window. Madrid is still a possibility. Bilbao came up as a landing spot.
Thanks for the leads!

Wow, found pieces of information, looks very interesting and challenging. Third and fourth days out of Bilbao at 20+ miles and 3800 feet of climbing. Those numbers would easier about 2 weeks into the walk :) Might need to carry a tent.

Thanks for information. If anyone else has walked it, please post.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.