• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Santiago to Portugal

SydneySteve

I'm starting the walk very soon (end May) and am very excited. Assuming my feet take me all the way to Santiago I am thinking of some well deserved r'n'r in Portugal afterwards. Does anyone know how to get from Santiago to Portugal (haven't planned which city but somewhere like Porto)?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi SydneySteve, there r buses in Santiago that connect with Portugal, Oporto for sure. Best, xm 8)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Portugal is an excellent place to relax. I have found it much more laid back and slow-paced than Spain. You might consider going south, also. The coast is warm and beautiful, and the interior is exotic and martian. There's no place like it!

There's a lot of trains Santiago-Vigo and two daily trains Vigo-Porto. How do you arrive in Spain? If you arrive directly to Madrid, there's a nightly train Madrid-Vigo that arrives in Vigo 40 minutes before the departure to Porto.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martín
Madrid, Spain

We took the Alsa bus from Santiago to Lisbon, and it was VERY convenient. Only one or two buses a day go all the way down to Lisbon, but depending on where you'd like to go in Portugal, they have almost hourly buses out of the Santiago bus station.

Happy travels,
Athena

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Always it depends on your timetable. Alsa is a very high-quality company here in Spain, with modern and confortable buses.

Thanks guys

Thanks for all your help. You make it sound very easy. Looks like Alsa is the go. Thanks.

In anyone reads this and is starting on the 29 May then I'll be there. See you on the camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum