A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Santiago to Portugal

I'm starting the walk very soon (end May) and am very excited. Assuming my feet take me all the way to Santiago I am thinking of some well deserved r'n'r in Portugal afterwards. Does anyone know how to get from Santiago to Portugal (haven't planned which city but somewhere like Porto)?

A

Anonymous

Hi SydneySteve, there r buses in Santiago that connect with Portugal, Oporto for sure. Best, xm 8)

Portugal is an excellent place to relax. I have found it much more laid back and slow-paced than Spain. You might consider going south, also. The coast is warm and beautiful, and the interior is exotic and martian. There's no place like it!

There's a lot of trains Santiago-Vigo and two daily trains Vigo-Porto. How do you arrive in Spain? If you arrive directly to Madrid, there's a nightly train Madrid-Vigo that arrives in Vigo 40 minutes before the departure to Porto.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martín
Madrid, Spain

We took the Alsa bus from Santiago to Lisbon, and it was VERY convenient. Only one or two buses a day go all the way down to Lisbon, but depending on where you'd like to go in Portugal, they have almost hourly buses out of the Santiago bus station.

Happy travels,
Athena

Thanks guys

Thanks for all your help. You make it sound very easy. Looks like Alsa is the go. Thanks.

In anyone reads this and is starting on the 29 May then I'll be there. See you on the camino!

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 107 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.6%