• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scruffy's Caldo Galego

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I have received three PM's requesting my recipe for Caldo Gallego so here it is:

Caldo Gallego de Desaliñado – Scruffy
3/4 cup of boiled garbanzos (chick peas) not frozen not canned but the real thing that has been soaked overnight and properly cooked
2 medium sized potatoes A smallish to medium turnip (should be a surprise as you eat not overwhelming the soup) 1 parsnip A celery stick or two with the leaves Two-three whole cloves of garlic – if sliced will be too powerful if crunched bitter leave them whole A chunk of fat back 4 cm. Square 2 chorizos sausages sliced into circles 6-7 cups of good chicken stock (preferably homemade, the store bought stuff is too salty) Collard greens/kale/chard/turnip greens (easy on the turnip greens they are rather bitter more than the others) to taste put leaf on leaf and cut into strips and then into good sized squares
Cut all the vegetables into smallish equal sized squares Bring the stock to a boil and add all the cut vegetables, the garlic, and the fat belly and cook about 20 minutes or until the potatoes/turnips soften. Add the garbanzos and continue for another 10 minutes Add the greens and continue to cook for another 5 minutes Add the chorizos to the plate when serving (note: if you throw them into the soup the liquid will turn red from the paprika, not what you are looking for!) And please, no fighting over the fat back
I do not cook with salt, ever, so add as you see fit the chorizos and the fat bat add enough for my taste, carrots may be added but with care, they will sweeten the caldo; if you can find them, Jerusalem artichokes are a fine non-traditional addition. Serve with coarsely ground black pepper on the table alongside garlic bread.
¡Buen Provecho!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back