• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

self guided bookings - Leon to Santiago in June ?

Jenn

Time of past OR future Camino
First time planning
The training has begun. Recently survived a health scare and it feels time to just do it. I have only 5 weeks to prepare and I don't even know where to start. I'm reasonably fit and in my upper 40's. But I'm thinking a self guided walk from Leon to Santiago with booked accomodation and my pack carried will help make my first trek on my own, more stress free. Can anyone recommend a reliable and affordable company that offers this? (I'll be travelling from Melbourne mid June.)
With much gratitude, Jenn.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Plan your journey and try to figure out where you'd like to stop each day. Then book accommodation - use bookings.com or tripadvisor. Your bag can be transferred by the very reliable Jacotrans.com. If they don't collect from your lodgings, they will have an easily accessible pick up point in the various towns en route.

Correos (Spanish Postal Service) is also very good, flexible and not expensive. My sister used Correos and was very pleased with it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Plan your journey and try to figure out where you'd like to stop each day. Then book accommodation - use bookings.com or tripadvisor. Your bag can be transferred by the very reliable Jacotrans.com. If they don't collect from your lodgings, they will have an easily accessible pick up point in the various towns en route.
Thanks. I was thinking of booking in through Peregrine or similar for my first Camino (unguided and without scheduled dinners) as I feel I need the safety of some structure of people who know about it, (eg accommodation) but want the flexibility of going at my own pace, meeting other pilgrims and choosing where to eat etc. Any clues of these sort of companies? Especially as booking from Aus? Also...Ive been told Astorga would be a better starting point for two weeks of walking?

I have looked at an Irish company called Caminoways who look good. They offer a full service apart from travel to and from the Camino. Personally I looked at their itineraries and in particular their Access section showing how to travel to and from various access points.

In the end I used the John Brierley guide to plan my stages and booked small hotels/pensiones or alburgues when available via booking.com who are really excellent.

The forum and website we are now using is excellent for advice on all other matters. I start from Pamplona on Wednesday 18th May.

Good luck

Chris

The hardest part of the camino isn't the doing of it.

The hard parts are:

Deciding to do it;

Getting the proper gear and not taking too much gear; and,

Getting to and from the camino.

Once you are on it there is not much in the way of logistics. You merely have to get up and walk a reasonable distance every day. There is adequate accommodation and food services to meet your needs with limited requirement for planning.

In short ... you don't need to obtain a guide.

If you do have some difficulties with language etc ... there are 200000 others on the camino this year who will help you out till you get the feel for things.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi,
I am in my 70's and have pushed too hard 25-30 km a day and at other times done Sarria to Santiago in 8 days at a comfortable 12-16 km. Then on to Muxia in five days. Recent Caminos Burgos-SDC, etc I have reserved ahead and find that very relaxing. No rush...no fuss.
Buen Camino
Arn

I
I agree....I book most through booking.com. You can cancel most places for free up to 48 hrs prior. I did this last year AND for my coming Camino in June. I love walking relaxed and taking my time and not have to worry about a bed. Some people think it takes away from the "adventure" but I loved it. Dinners are not a problem anywhere on the camino. You will find plenty people to hang out with and plenty bars, and restaurants to eat. Jacotrans is very good and simple. leave your bag in the morning with the address you will stay next and put the fee in the envelope. We used this several times last year for the "mountain days". Do bring a small day pack for your daily needs. Water, snack, foot care, other shoes, and your valuables .

Last edited:
Thanks. I was thinking of booking in through Peregrine or similar for my first Camino (unguided and without scheduled dinners) as I feel I need the safety of some structure of people who know about it, (eg accommodation) but want the flexibility of going at my own pace, meeting other pilgrims and choosing where to eat etc. Any clues of these sort of companies? Especially as booking from Aus? Also...Ive been told Astorga would be a better starting point for two weeks of walking?

Hi Jenn
I respect anyone's need for safety and structure when travelling so far from home. It's how I began my adventures before I gained the confidence to branch out on my own. Only you can decide what you are comfortable with.

If you do book with someone ensure that you check that the length of the daily stages are something that you are comfortable ie not 30+km with and that they book your accommodation progressively ie not 2 or 3 nights in the same town and then have you transported back and forth. We encountered both instances last year with pilgrims who had booked with companies in Australia as well as overseas.

Also I don't know what state you are in but World Expeditions are holding information nights very soon and I know that here in Adelaide this includes Camino treks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I understand the feeling that having someone look after the logistics for you seems safer, but I also agree with those who say it is really just as easy - and sometimes more comfortable - to do it yourself. Book your own flights to suit you. Get a good guidebook (look at the ones Ivar is selling in his forum shop), keep training. When you have a guidebook in your hand and a good feel for how far you can or want to walk on flat or hilly terrain in a day, have a look at what accommodation will be found there. Guidebooks like the Brierley guide, which I have and use, will suggest daily stages for you and list suitable accommodation there, and you can find many of these places on booking.com to book youself without having to make phone calls in Spanish. No need to book it all right now, but I would book the first two nights and the last one in advance. When you are actually there you might want to take a day off, walk a half day because you meet up with someone or find a place you want to explore ... you can't know that yet. Jacotrans and Correios are good bag transporters and very easy to arrange day to day, so as soon as your boots hit the ground you will have unlimited options, while if you get someone to organise it for you, the itinerary is locked. I am not saying don't do it, I am saying give it a good think - you can do this on your own.

Also you could go to Leon to see the city and rest up after the journey, and still go to Astorga to start walking (I am a firm fan of a two week walk from Astorga - beautiful scenery, good infrastructure, long enough to get into camino mode). Even if you do decide to go with a company, I would recommend getting a normal guidebook and double checking the distances and climbs etc and not just blindly follow someone else's itinerary. I am only saying that because we met a lady from Australia who had a spiral bound self-guided book that told her to walk 40km on tarmac and steep hills one day and 10km the next ...

If you would like to consider it before you book through someone, feel free to send me a PM and I would happily help with stage and accommodation suggestions based on my 5 walks on the Astorga-Santiago stretch. Buen camino!

Much appreciated, wow I can't believe how much information I've received already. It's certainly occupying every minute of my waking time. Thanks so much for the offer Nida rosa.

There's so much to consider. Tonight I'm trying to work out flights and transits. It seems an overnight train from Madrid is the best option? And maybe fly back from Santiago to Madrid?

I've started in Sarria a few times. Fly into Madrid...on to Santiago...off the plane...bus to Lugo...bus to Sarria and overnight at the Monisterio de Magdalena. 5-6 days into SDC for.2 days. 6 days to Finisterre or Muxia...bus back to SDC overnight then fly out from SDC. Easy to do.
Keep asking questions.
Arn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Much appreciated, wow I can't believe how much information I've received already. It's certainly occupying every minute of my waking time. Thanks so much for the offer Nida rosa.

There's so much to consider. Tonight I'm trying to work out flights and transits. It seems an overnight train from Madrid is the best option? And maybe fly back from Santiago to Madrid?

Options:

Renfe train from Madrid Chamartin Renfe Station to Leon takes about 3 hours ... the overnight train isn't really a good idea for this trip.

ALSA buses from Madrid leave for Leon almost hourly and take about 4 hours. They leave from one or other of Estacion Sur, Moncloa, or T4 Airport.

Madrid Airport is connected to Madrid by Metro from T1T2T3 or T4 and Cercanias train from T4.

Chamartin is accessed from Madrid Airport by Metro and Cercanias.

Estacion Sur is accessed from Madrid Airport by Metro and Cercanias.

Moncloa is accessed from Madrid Airport by Metro.

Santiago is connected to Madrid by flights from airport SCQ, Renfe train, and ALSA bus. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

The training has begun. Recently survived a health scare and it feels time to just do it. I have only 5 weeks to prepare and I don't even know where to start. I'm reasonably fit and in my upper 40's. But I'm thinking a self guided walk from Leon to Santiago with booked accomodation and my pack carried will help make my first trek on my own, more stress free. Can anyone recommend a reliable and affordable company that offers this? (I'll be travelling from Melbourne mid June.)
With much gratitude, Jenn.

Unless you have special needs/heavier than usual equipment due to special circumstances (health etc.) there is really no reason to plan/book ahead apart of the first day or so. If you book ahead you limit at the the same time your freedom of when to walk how far. What is if you like to stay in one place but your backpack is transported to another place some kilometres away? Even if your backpack gets transported you have still to carry all what you need during the day (first aid kit, water, snacks, rain gear, guide book etc.) so you don't save so much in weight actually. What I would do:

Get a good guide book.
Sort out your travel to Spain.
Book two nights in Leon (well worth visiting and spending time there).
Start walking, go with the flow, follow your own rhythm.

Of the 250,000+ that arrive in Santiago each year the overwhelming majority does so without anybody organizing anything for them. Just enjoy the freedom step by step. What is the worst that can happen?

Buen Camino, SY

Hey Jenn, my husband and I are newbies too, also travelling from Melbourne, and starting our Camino in Leon. We leave a couple of weeks before you. We have decided to stay in Madrid for one night (hopefully to get over the jet lag - man, we are a long way away in Australia!) Then a fast train to Leon the next morning. We want to book a night in Leon, have a look around, then begin walking the next day. The rest of the time, we are hoping to 'go with the flow'. I have to admit, this does scare me a little, regarding getting a bed for the night, but everyone we speak to says this is the way to go. We did receive advice to decide the night before walking where we would like to stop, and ring ahead to book accommodation for the next night. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time. We are incredibly excited for this adventure :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey Jenn, my husband and I are newbies too, also travelling from Melbourne, and starting our Camino in Leon. We leave a couple of weeks before you. We have decided to stay in Madrid for one night (hopefully to get over the jet lag - man, we are a long way away in Australia!) Then a fast train to Leon the next morning. We want to book a night in Leon, have a look around, then begin walking the next day. The rest of the time, we are hoping to 'go with the flow'. I have to admit, this does scare me a little, regarding getting a bed for the night, but everyone we speak to says this is the way to go. We did receive advice to decide the night before walking where we would like to stop, and ring ahead to book accommodation for the next night. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time. We are incredibly excited for this adventure :)
Thanks Tina, I am still waiting for approval for leave before I can book my flight. Seems it's the most expensive time of year to be flying to Europe, but I'm still determined. Can I ask how much training you have done in preparation (I'm currently only finding time to do 10-12 km every second day) but hope to step it up now that I have a month to go. Also I'm also looking at staying in Madrid overnight and catching the train (it's actually the part that scares me the most.) I look forward to seeing your updates as you will be finishing just as in starting. Have a fabulous time.

Unless you have special needs/heavier than usual equipment due to special circumstances (health etc.) there is really no reason to plan/book ahead apart of the first day or so. If you book ahead you limit at the the same time your freedom of when to walk how far. What is if you like to stay in one place but your backpack is transported to another place some kilometres away? Even if your backpack gets transported you have still to carry all what you need during the day (first aid kit, water, snacks, rain gear, guide book etc.) so you don't save so much in weight actually. What I would do:

Get a good guide book.
Sort out your travel to Spain.
Book two nights in Leon (well worth visiting and spending time there).
Start walking, go with the flow, follow your own rhythm.

Of the 250,000+ that arrive in Santiago each year the overwhelming majority does so without anybody organizing anything for them. Just enjoy the freedom step by step. What is the worst that can happen?

Buen Camino, SY
Kind thanks for your wisdom. I don't think I'll manage carrying a back pack (uncomfortable due to a spinal fusion) though I'm fit and healthy so unfortunately I will have to walk one day at a time and plan the next accomodation. But I hear what you're saying and will see how I go with this plan and change if it's not working for me. I'm hoping to get a pack that I can wear around my waist for snacks, first aid, spares and water. Haven't started looking as yet.

Thanks Tina, I am still waiting for approval for leave before I can book my flight. Seems it's the most expensive time of year to be flying to Europe, but I'm still determined. Can I ask how much training you have done in preparation (I'm currently only finding time to do 10-12 km every second day) but hope to step it up now that I have a month to go. Also I'm also looking at staying in Madrid overnight and catching the train (it's actually the part that scares me the most.) I look forward to seeing your updates as you will be finishing just as in starting. Have a fabulous time.
Hey Jenn, we have been walking as often as we can, but probably about 10km at a time. Time has just flown, and all the good intentions for long training walks have flown out the window, so we will see how we fare when we start walking. But hey, that's what makes it interesting, hey? I intend to walk at a comfortable pace, and to stop when I need to…I'm not in a hurry. And I don't intend to walk more than 20km on any given day. We will just trust that everything will evolve as it's meant to. Buen Camino to you :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey Jenn, we have been walking as often as we can, but probably about 10km at a time. Time has just flown, and all the good intentions for long training walks have flown out the window, so we will see how we fare when we start walking. But hey, that's what makes it interesting, hey? I intend to walk at a comfortable pace, and to stop when I need to…I'm not in a hurry. And I don't intend to walk more than 20km on any given day. We will just trust that everything will evolve as it's meant to. Buen Camino to you :)
Thanks Tina, I'm relieved to hear that I've just bought the Brierley guidebook online so hoping to get my head around it all. I've had a lot of good advice on here but a little overwhelmed as to where to start. Obviously flights are number one. Do you mind if I ask which airline you decided on and flight time (ie 25 hours?) I've then decided I'll walk from Astorga and hope that I can do a relaxed pace of 20km to make it to Santiago in two weeks. Will book a few nights on booking.com to get started as you are also doing. I'm sure the pieces will come together once I can mark it out on a map.
Many thanks again,
Jenn

Thanks Tina, I'm relieved to hear that I've just bought the Brierley guidebook online so hoping to get my head around it all. I've had a lot of good advice on here but a little overwhelmed as to where to start. Obviously flights are number one. Do you mind if I ask which airline you decided on and flight time (ie 25 hours?) I've then decided I'll walk from Astorga and hope that I can do a relaxed pace of 20km to make it to Santiago in two weeks. Will book a few nights on booking.com to get started as you are also doing. I'm sure the pieces will come together once I can mark it out on a map.
Many thanks again,
Jenn
Yeah, I know what you mean! I had a friend do a section of the Camino last year, and she has lent me Brierley's guide, so I've had a good look at that. Also, we like to watch documentaries about The Camino, and we have another friend who did it last year, and has already booked to go again next year - she has been really helpful. We leave this Sunday, I think 10.30pm on a Qantas flight, with a stopover in Dubai, then arrive Madrid around 1.30pm the next day. I booked accommodation for that first night in Madrid, near the station (found recommendations on the forum helpful in deciding) then we leave on a fast train to Leon the next morning. I have also booked that night to stay in Leon, after that, it's over to the Universe, and we hopefully begin walking...

That's exciting.... And a good time to be leaving soggy Melbourne.

Can you please let me know which accom was near the station, that sounds like a very good idea, you will sure need a good recovery sleep after such a long fight.

I've read about how busy the accom is currently so I look forward to hearing if you have plenty of options each day or whether you find that you need to book ahead a few days.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That's exciting.... And a good time to be leaving soggy Melbourne.

Can you please let me know which accom was near the station, that sounds like a very good idea, you will sure need a good recovery sleep after such a long fight.

I've read about how busy the accom is currently so I look forward to hearing if you have plenty of options each day or whether you find that you need to book ahead a few days.
Hey Jenn, it depends where your train leaves from, but ours leaves from Puerta de Atocha, so we booked that first night at Urban Sea Hotel Atocha (0.2 km from Atocha station). Other recommendations were Hotel One Shot and Hotel Artrip….just look at the threads of accommodation in Madrid. There's plenty of recommendations, then I just googled them and chose the one which best suited. Booked our train trip on Rail Europe, then QH Hotel for our second night in Leon. Hopefully we will be over our jet lag by then and ready to roll. Good luck. The rest of the time, we will just go with the flow. Oh, I also downloaded an app on my phone, which lists all the maps and accommodation, so we can book the night before if need be. It's called Camino Frances A Wise Pilgrim Guide. Good luck :)

Thanks for that app, I'll give it a look. I'm feeling really inspired after watching this doco this morn (as I'm sick in bed.)

As you say it's really about going with the flow. Tricky when you have return flights and a time frame to return for work but I'm just loving how it looks and sounds and feel certain I need to do this.

How long do you anticipate it'll take you from Leon to Santiagi and are you going to keep going down to the coast?

Thanks again, warm regards. Jenn

Thanks for that app, I'll give it a look. I'm feeling really inspired after watching this doco this morn (as I'm sick in bed.)

As you say it's really about going with the flow. Tricky when you have return flights and a time frame to return for work but I'm just loving how it looks and sounds and feel certain I need to do this.

How long do you anticipate it'll take you from Leon to Santiagi and are you going to keep going down to the coast?

Thanks again, warm regards. Jenn
Ps. Did you have to get yourselves the official Camino passport? I see they are sold on this site but take up to a month to arrive in the mail so wondered where else or will you get this when you get to Leon?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ps. Did you have to get yourselves the official Camino passport? I see they are sold on this site but take up to a month to arrive in the mail so wondered where else or will you get this when you get to Leon?
Ooh, haven't seen that doco - might watch it in bed tonight. No, haven't got the passport yet, but was advised that we can get it, no problem, in Leon. We have a time frame of one month before returning to Australia. We hope to walk for 3 weeks, and then take a holiday in Portugal at the end to just chill and integrate everything. That allows time to do it at a reasonable pace, with rest days and slack days :)

Ooh, haven't seen that doco - might watch it in bed tonight. No, haven't got the passport yet, but was advised that we can get it, no problem, in Leon. We have a time frame of one month before returning to Australia. We hope to walk for 3 weeks, and then take a holiday in Portugal at the end to just chill and integrate everything. That allows time to do it at a reasonable pace, with rest days and slack days :)
Oh, and yes, I would love to finish in Finisterre - so again, we will just see what happens :)

Hi Tina I hope you have arrived safely in Madrid all ready for your Camino. I am very keen to hear how the connections went from Madrid to Leon. I'm very excited now as my work is sorted (I'm coming back to a new job,) and my airfares are booked. I leave in just 2 weeks. I will be flying Mel-Madrid via Dubai, then getting train to Leon and another to Astorga and walking from there. I'm very nervous about those bits, but feel confident that once on the Camino, things will be fine. I have 3 weeks including (4 days lost in transit) hopefully will have a few test days on the coast at finisterre. Now it's time to think about what I need to take.

I'm planning to walk 20 km per day and most of my guide books have days of up to 30 kms, so I will be trying to work out a rough plan and then seeing how I go from there.

Love to hear how you are managing as a fellow melbournian first time pilgrim.

Stay safe and well. Jenn

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
I'm about to start the Camino Portuguese, and was wondering what rideshare options are available in Europe?
Hi all! I am trying to finish up the last bit of planning for our upcoming Camino, in two and a half weeks, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. We are kinda doing things a little backwards, as...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back