• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Setting off SJDP May5 2018

Louis Lloyd

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 French SJPP to Fisterra and Muxia completed
2020 Portuguese from Lisbon
2020 French
Hi we are a retired Australian couple setting off on 5th May, we have booked Orisson and Roncesvalles however the rest will depend on our speed. We have allowed seven week and if time permits will continue on to Finisterre. Maybe we see some of you on the walk.
Carol and Lou

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Carol and Lou, welcome aboard, your first post! Reservations in Orisson and Roncesvalles are good. You are going to enjoy el camino. Buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Thank you Sailor.
We plan to each take one pair of trousers and two pairs of shorts. We will also have wet weather leggings and we plan to wear shorts under the leggings on wet days. Does the team feel that just one pair of trousers will suffice?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What fun! I love the time of preparation and expectation.
IMO one pair of trousers together with one pair of shorts is enough but there are others on this forum who prefer to walk with three rather than two walking outfits. I do take some light weight sleeping gear as well as three sets of undies and socks. If you find you need another pair of shorts you can always buy some along the way.
Buen camino, pergrinos, from another retired Australian.

Thank you Sailor.
We plan to each take one pair of trousers and two pairs of shorts. We will also have wet weather leggings and we plan to wear shorts under the leggings on wet days. Does the team feel that just one pair of trousers will suffice?
Good evening. I took one pair of convertible pants and two pairs of shorts, that worked for me. Buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi we are a retired Australian couple setting off on 5th May, we have booked Orisson and Roncesvalles however the rest will depend on our speed. We have allowed seven week and if time permits will continue on to Finisterre. Maybe we see some of you on the walk.
Carol and Lou
Michael & Lynne from Wollongong. We’ll be leaving St Jean on Monday 7th so we may see you somewhere on the path.

Carol and Lou
Also, we are in our 60’s and will be walking our third Camino. If there are any questions we can help with, especially coming from Australia, let us know.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All these Australians, good job. Welcome @Louis Lloyd - you have given yourself lots of time, the best way to walk the Camino. I do hope the path is lined with flowers, literally and figuratively.

And in answer to your question - yes, I think one pair of trousers is enough with two pairs of shorts. By leggings, do you mean waterproof over-pants? I think of leggings as tight and would go under your shorts, not over them. Good for cold days, and as nightwear.

Now onto my 12th camino (I think) I only take two sets of clothes, one off and one on. I wash each day. For me it is two hiking skirts, one pair of long leggings (the tight sort), two long sleeved silk/merino tops, one merino cardigan or sweater, a featherweight Houdini jacket, one long Altus raincoat, two sets of underwear, a buff, a visor, one pair of crocs and one pair of walking sandals. If it is summer/autumn I add a swimsuit and maybe a very flimsy light top. In spring I add gloves and waterproof Dexshell socks. For clothing, that's it.

Thanks Kanga for your response and kind wishes. Yes I do mean waterproof over pants. My better half corrected me on that as well.

The way by the mountain (Napoléon Route) is closed from 1st of November To 31th March so you have to go by Valcarlos. In the pilgrims office in SJPP volunteers will give you all informations.
We leave 5th May so the Napoleon route technically will be open

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi
Carol and Lou
Hi. We are Ian and Hazel,also retired. We are starting 3rd May and we are expecting to go slow. We have allowed however long I’m sure we’ll meet on the way

Hi

Hi. We are Ian and Hazel,also retired. We are starting 3rd May and we are expecting to go slow. We have allowed however long I’m sure we’ll meet on the way
Looking forward to meeting up somewhere.

I'm loving all these retired walking Aussies off on an amazing journey!! Can't wait for our second Camino leaving home 2 months today.....yay!!
Buen Camino to you all :cool::)From another retired Aussie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm loving all these retired walking Aussies off on an amazing journey!! Can't wait for our second Camino leaving home 2 months today.....yay!!
Buen Camino to you all :cool::)From another retired Aussie
Hello Loretta

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.