• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Shoe treatment?

Orafo

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Camino Francés, SJPP to Santiago and Finisterre (Sept.-Oct. 2013); Planned: Camino del Salvador-Camino Primitivo-Camino Francés-Camino Finisterre (Sept.-Oct. 2014)
Does anyone pack wax or other waterproofing or restoration treatment for one's hiking shoes? Or for that matter, a small brush to get rid of dried mud? I want to take care of my footwear, but I'm concerned about unnecessary weight.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Orafo,
We are in the process of packing now and threw in an extra toothbrush for dealing with dried mud on the breathable (Gortex) parts of our boots. We did not pack wax or other waterproofing as we've not had problems with socks getting wet except for when spending too much time standing in shallow water, as we did recently while out fishing. Not expecting to go fishing while on the Camino, but we do expect rain at some point. Hope this helps.
Buen Camino........MG

Thanks, Morning Glory. I'm inclined to leave behind the waterproofing (the shoes are Goretex -- it's mainly a matter of taking care of them, but I imagine after the Camino I may be ready to ditch them!). A little brush seems to be a good idea.
Buen camino! Perhaps I'll see you en route, though I imagine I'll be (and remain) behind you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wear leather boots, and bring a small brush (Colorado) and waterproofing (Nikwax or similar). If the boots get wet or dirty, I clean and re-treat.

Regards

Thanks, dougfitz. That seems prudent, if one wants to take care of one's footwear. Nikwax is good; lately I've been using an Italian product called "Hydrobloc," by Zamberlan. I may end up just squeezing some of it into a smaller, lighter, container and using it sparingly.

We have a very small brush to remove mud from the seams and soles. At home we use 'Renapur' wax to re-proof the boots (leather). We thoroughly rub a small sponge in the wax and carry it in a plastic bag for re-proofing en route. A small amount in a plastic pot would also be light to carry for a long Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum