• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hoka U TOR SUMMIT Shoe

mcm

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2023
Does anyone have experience with the Hoka U TOR SUMMIT shoe? Would it be overkill on the Frances in the Fall? I appreciate any thoughts!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think you mean the Tor Summit (no U, fewer caps). I've been looking at that model and checking out reviews, but have not tried them on yet. While they look chunky, they apparently have great cushioning, which of course is the main selling point for Hokas. The sole is appealing to me for the (very) few rocky sections of the CdF (I'm thinking the unforgiving back end of the Alto de Perdon), but honestly I think that style of hiking shoe may be more useful on sections of the Le Puy or other routes than the vast majority of the CdF.

Looking at the reviews I've seen on-line, the main criticism has been that the "all gender" sizing seems to cause confusion and some challenges with fit. Also, I cannot find the weight for the Tor Summit, but the similar "x Bodega Tor Ultra Low" weighs in at 16.7 oz. -- not terrible but there are lighter weight options worth considering. For those reasons, I personally would not go through the trouble of ordering them on-line and would likely only consider a purchase if I could try them on in a store. I would also like to hear from a few people who have actually worn the Tor Summits on a Camino.

Because I get a great fit and they have worked well for me on many local hikes, I'm currently planning to wear a pair of Hoka Bondi 8's (which are about $50 cheaper and 45% less heavy) on the CdF in 2025. But I am also looking at options in trail runners, especially the Speed Goat 5, which is of similar weight but with a sole better fit for hiking and trail running.

Does anyone have experience with the Hoka U TOR SUMMIT shoe? Would it be overkill on the Frances in the Fall? I appreciate any thoughts!
Oh, yeah, I realized I've got a verbosity problem. Bottom line: I do think that shoe might be overkill for the Frances in the fall, but would not dismiss it as an option. If you have the opportunity to try it out and you get a great fit, then it may just be the shoe for you. I certainly have done the CdF in heavier shoes than that (Keen Targhee II's, which in the mid-ankle height model are almost exactly twice as heavy). It's just that I would now lean towards a much lighter shoe.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think you mean the Tor Summit (no U, fewer caps). I've been looking at that model and checking out reviews, but have not tried them on yet. While they look chunky, they apparently have great cushioning, which of course is the main selling point for Hokas. The sole is appealing to me for the (very) few rocky sections of the CdF (I'm thinking the unforgiving back end of the Alto de Perdon), but honestly I think that style of hiking shoe may be more useful on sections of the Le Puy or other routes than the vast majority of the CdF.

Looking at the reviews I've seen on-line, the main criticism has been that the "all gender" sizing seems to cause confusion and some challenges with fit. Also, I cannot find the weight for the Tor Summit, but the similar "x Bodega Tor Ultra Low" weighs in at 16.7 oz. -- not terrible but there are lighter weight options worth considering. For those reasons, I personally would not go through the trouble of ordering them on-line and would likely only consider a purchase if I could try them on in a store. I would also like to hear from a few people who have actually worn the Tor Summits on a Camino.

Because I get a great fit and they have worked well for me on many local hikes, I'm currently planning to wear a pair of Hoka Bondi 8's (which are about $50 cheaper and 45% less heavy) on the CdF in 2025. But I am also looking at options in trail runners, especially the Speed Goat 5, which is of similar weight but with a sole better fit for hiking and trail running.
Thank you for such a thoughtful response. I am going to carefully consider everything and compare to the Speed Goat.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just for the info: The Bondi 9 will arrive on the market this year, some rumours talked about end this month...
No confirmation by Hoka so far🤔
And shoes are personal...trying them on yourself is the way to go.

Just for the info: The Bondi 9 will arrive on the market this year, some rumours talked about end this month...
No confirmation by Hoka so far🤔
And shoes are personal...trying them on yourself is the way to go.
I started in the Bondi 5, had 2 pairs of 6’s, a 7 and now the 8’s …...I hope the 9 is not even bigger vs the 8 🤦‍♀️ I wish they’d stop modifying them.

I am wearing the Hoka Kaha on the Camino Mozarabe right now. There are sections of the trail that are rocky and I feel those rocks, to my surprise, given all of the cushioning. My partner has Han Wag boots but feel the stones as well. Both of us have A-B flexibity footwear. That said, the Kaha would be excellent choice for the CF, if they work for your feet. An A-B is more than enough for the CF.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wear Hokas too (Bondi, Stinson, Speedgoat) the latter are the least thick soled. Because I insert a custom made hard shell orthotic I don’t feel rocks but the Speedgoat are the least thick soles.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.