• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Asics running shoe durability

Jurajko

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
May-June 2024
Previous year I used Asics Trabuco Max 2 on journey Porto-Santiago-Fisterra(including preparation for this journey).
This year I plan to make Camino Frances(SJPP-Santiago).
Can I use my (previous year bought) Asics shoe for Camino Frances or it is better to buy the new one?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you mean that you wore that specific pair of shoes last year on your Camino *and* that you intend to wear the same pair of shoes this year, then I am certain that they will wear out before you reach Santiago. How or when, I can't say for certain, but I fully expect that you'll either develop holes, or new foot/ ankle/ leg pain, or new blisters.

Suggest you get new shoes.

Buen Camino

If you mean that you wore that specific pair of shoes last year on your Camino *and* that you intend to wear the same pair of shoes this year, then I am certain that they will wear out before you reach Santiago. How or when, I can't say for certain, but I fully expect that you'll either develop holes, or new foot/ ankle/ leg pain, or new blisters.

Suggest you get new shoes.

Buen Camino
Thank you very much for your answer.Consequently,I decided to buy new shoes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Previous year I used Asics Trabuco Max 2 on journey Porto-Santiago-Fisterra(including preparation for this journey).
Can I use my (previous year bought) Asics shoe for Camino Frances or it is better to buy the new one?
Good sneakers have only about 400 miles to them before they wear out. It’s best to get a new pair and break them in before the trip to ensure a good support for your feet/knees/hips.

I am very fond of Asics and have used two different pairs on Caminos. I always end up continuing to wear them back home on my local trails. They seem to keep going and going like the Energizer Bunny. No holes, but the heel strike eventually tends to loose its form. I notice online that Asics and many other brands are adding thicker padded outer soles, much like Hoka's have been known for for quite a number of years; I wore my first pair of in 2018 on the Le Puy.

One thing I rarely hear about is the shoe in relation to the persons weight or walking gait. A small woman's shoe will last longer than the same shoe on a much larger person, even with the same miles on them. In addition, a runner will wear the shoe out faster and have different stress points on the shoe than hikers and walkers.

Good sneakers have only about 400 miles to them before they wear out. It’s best to get a new pair and break them in before the trip to ensure a good support for your feet/knees/hips.
Thank you for your very useful opinion.Camino Frances,including preparation,is equal to approximatelly 700 miles,so new shoes are necessary.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am very fond of Asics and have used two different pairs on Caminos. I always end up continuing to wear them back home on my local trails. They seem to keep going and going like the Energizer Bunny. No holes, but the heel strike eventually tends to loose its form. I notice online that Asics and many other brands are adding thicker padded outer soles, much like Hoka's have been known for for quite a number of years; I wore my first pair of in 2018 on the Le Puy.

One thing I rarely hear about is the shoe in relation to the persons weight or walking gait. A small woman's shoe will last longer than the same shoe on a much larger person, even with the same miles on them. In addition, a runner will wear the shoe out faster and have different stress points on the shoe than hikers and walkers.
Thank you for your information which expand my knowledge and also help me solve the issue of new shoes.

I also agree with replacing the first set of shoes. I have many pairs of Asics Kayanos that have been consigned to gardening shoes once they did 500-600km. I was going to bring Kayanos on my April Camino but thought the sole was a bit slick (more suited for tarmac running). I've got the Trabucos as well (more grip but also the familiar Kayano fit). No blisters, aches etc breaking them in, good to go from day 1. Looking forward to seeing how they go.

I echo Camino Chrissy's comments about Asics in general. Since the subject is Asics Running Shoe Durability, I purchased Asics running shoes in Hamburg in 2012 and was very pleased with them: comfortable, durable, and gave me about 500 miles of pleasure—even after I got them too close to a campfire in their later life. For the Camino, though, I wore Saucony Trail Runners. I loved them. I did not experience a single blister. When I returned home I went straight to REI and purchased an identical pair for future use. Alas, my running days seem to be behind me, but should they ever re-emerge, I'll be looking for my Asics . . .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’ve worn Brooks Dyad11 for the Camino. They are short lived but suit me perfectly. I get about 400 miles out of them, then use them back home as biking shoes (I don’t do clips). Overall, a costly approach but suits me for comfort and lightness.

On my Caminos I have worn 2 pair of Saucony's (for 4 Caminos), 2 pair of Asics, 1 pair of Hokas, and 1 pair of Keens and all of them worked very well on Caminos of 300-500 miles.
I am fortunate that my feet are obviously not very fussy and I haven't decided what brand I may purchase soon for my spring Camino, but I do have a pair of new Hoka's (a gift) I am testing on my local trail at the moment.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sometimes a familiar Devil is better than an unfamiliar Saint.
I find replacing the insoles alone make the Asics feel brand new.

Sometimes a familiar Devil is better than an unfamiliar Saint.
I find replacing the insoles alone make the Asics feel brand new.
Kind regards from Slovakia,
I bought new insoles and changed for those which were in my old Asics Trabuco Max 2(see attachment)when I bought them.
Since I am not certain that problem raised by me is soluable by changing of insoles,today I bought Asics Trabuco Max 3(see attachment),believing it will be good(my start is in SJPP on 11th May).
Many thanks to all of you who give me a hand.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240321_161729_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240321_161729_Samsung Internet.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240321_162049.jpg
    20240321_162049.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
I’ve worn Brooks Dyad11 for the Camino. They are short lived but suit me perfectly. I get about 400 miles out of them, then use them back home as biking shoes (I don’t do clips). Overall, a costly approach but suits me for comfort and lightness.
If you like Brooks l, I would suggest you trying Cascadia trail runners. I have worn them on all 8 of my Caminos and I always walk about 1009k.
Never have a problem at all. I am wearing my Cascadia’s from my last Camino on my morning walk and they are still fine. Already have my new pair for this year’s Camino. Not going to wear them until a few days before I go. I live in Mexico so I have to have them shipped to my daughter in New York. Wish I had them here to check them out but I have never had an issue.

I am not a heretic—maybe polyamorous when it comes to hiking shoes, because I, too, have Brooks Cascadia trail runners for my hikes around here and . . . in the Cascades! ;) They are a great shoe.

What I’m going to say might upset some prople and cause some disagreement. For 58 years or so I’ve been a jogger including daily runs of up to 15 miles and marathon training. I’ve tried virtually every brand of funner except now there seem to be more brands than there are people in the London telephone directory. All the best known brands, Brooks etc and including the Aldi ones, are much of a muchness except for one at the top end of the spectrum and two at the bottom. The top one by far is Asics, particularly in terms of build quality, comfort, durability, wear, just about everything. My family and I ( my son spent ten years in the military, and his wife is serious about fitness and has surfed through many brands) have gravitated virtually exclusively to Asics. At the bottom are New Balance. Brand new top of the range pair lasted one week ( I bought them in Washington DC just before returning to Australia) and I repated my mistake later by buying abother top model on special in Hobart. They were twice as good -they lasted a fortnight before the uppers parted company with the soles. My son says avoid Nike. They didn’t stand up to his morning military exercise Programme. I could get around 15 months of wear out of my Asics ( say around 3,000plus k) , other brands I’ve tried lasted around three months. Use your old Asics but discard ( like any other shoes) when the uppers start parting company from the soles, it poses far too much of a tripping risk. If they wear out just buy a new pair of something or other along the way

De colores

Bogong

What I’m going to say might upset some prople and cause some disagreement. For 58 years or so I’ve been a jogger including daily runs of up to 15 miles and marathon training. I’ve tried virtually every brand of funner except now there seem to be more brands than there are people in the London telephone directory. All the best known brands, Brooks etc and including the Aldi ones, are much of a muchness except for one at the top end of the spectrum and two at the bottom. The top one by far is Asics, particularly in terms of build quality, comfort, durability, wear, just about everything. My family and I ( my son spent ten years in the military, and his wife is serious about fitness and has surfed through many brands) have gravitated virtually exclusively to Asics. At the bottom are New Balance. Brand new top of the range pair lasted one week ( I bought them in Washington DC just before returning to Australia) and I repated my mistake later by buying abother top model on special in Hobart. They were twice as good -they lasted a fortnight before the uppers parted company with the soles. My son says avoid Nike. They didn’t stand up to his morning military exercise Programme. I could get around 15 months of wear out of my Asics ( say around 3,000plus k) , other brands I’ve tried lasted around three months. Use your old Asics but discard ( like any other shoes) when the uppers start parting company from the soles, it poses far too much of a tripping risk. If they wear out just buy a new pair of something or other along the way

De colores

Bogong
Thank you very much for telling me about your experience with Asics.
Since the opinions for buying new shoes prevailed so far,I bought new Asics.
It doesn't matter.I can test both shoes in peace,knowing that it is a very good product.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wouldn't. The sole compresses over time and can lead to all kinds of foot, knee, hip and back issues.
For reference, I walked in an awesome pair of La Sportive light hikers. I had inserts for plantar fasciitis, which I replaced halfway, as these wear out as well... and from Burgos on, used blue physio tape for even more support.

Does that mean that if I’m walking over 500 miles that I need to bring an extra pair of shoes? I’m walking the Camino Portugués taking the central route from Lisbon to Porto and then the Senda Litoral from Porto to Santiago de Compostela. I am in the early planning stages but I’m estimating this will be between 500-550 miles. I don’t want to be walking with holes in my shoes for the last 100+ miles. I have also read about the importance of breaking your shoes in so if I do that, they’ll already have some miles on them prior to beginning my journey. Suggestions?

@JenPDX, I personally would not worry. I have walked over 500 miles on my Camino shoes and continued using them at home on my local trail for months afterward. I have never had a hole in any of my trail runners on the many Caminos I have walked.
"If" you find your shoes are starting to feel wonky or less supportive, Porto would be a great city to find a replacement. I wouldn't let needless worry keep you from the excitement of planning the rest of your Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Absolutely not, JenPDX. It means, in lay terms, your shoes, especially the tread, are getting tired. Consider the Camino is a trek, not a race that would otherwise require intermittent equipment changes to perform at your peak. I'll admit my Saucony's—as much as I loved them—looked pretty grim. They had holes in the top and sides, shredded insteps that I kept together using duct tape, and smooth spots on the souls. I kept wearing them for several weeks after I returned home. You'll be fine with the one pair of shoes you plan to bring—including the 50 or so miles of break-in before you start. Have fun!

Can I use my (previous year bought) Asics shoe for Camino Frances or it is better to buy the new one?i
I was thinking the same thing. I had Merrell Moab 3 when I walked SJPP to Santiago last May and they seem to still be in pretty good condition and was going to use them this year. But decided to buy new ones. I now use the old ones for hiking on local trails and when I see someone I know I point down to my Merrells and say these took me 800 kms across Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.