• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Shoes, boots, sandals?

• Thread starter Former member 49149
  • Start date
F

Former member 49149

Not sure where this will end up, but here is a detail from a painting I came across today in Musee Rodin. Artist is from Pais Vasco. How do the sandals look like they would survive a ‘full’ camino?Just joking, in case you need to have that spelled out. I also passed a restaurant- closed - called El Camino. And if anyone needs to practise walking on cobblestones, just meander around Pere Lachaise Cemetery. If you are lucky there will be lots of rain and a dose or two of thunder and lightning. You can recover in L’Ateliers des Lumières at a splendid display of works of Van Gogh.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a fair chance that those sandals have nailed soles. And don't forget that at that time every village would have had someone who could repair shoes.

Interesting pictures though, it's often quite difficult to find information about historical shoes.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Painted in 1903 so probably a "best guess" on behalf of the artist.
I'm surprised that an item of clothing subject to such high wear and tear could survive at all although there have been some good finds of Roman footwear including hobnails at Hadrian's Wall in England; the wreck of the 16th century Mary Rose; and, only last year along my own stretch of coast, another 16th century wreck yielded shoes with the stitching still intact and no, it wasn't a New Balance trail runner washed out to sea!

Most read last week in this forum