• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking shoes or sandals?

Pargles

Time of past OR future Camino
Mid Sep 2023
Hi, I am starting my first Camino from SJP the first week in Sept and am hoping that you good folks may be able to share your thoughts on my issue with shoes and sandals.
I brought Saucony Peregrine 12 as recommended by a running shop and am finding that after 6 miles I am getting metatarsalgia pain when carrying my pack (which is 15lb) I also over pronate in this foot. I reverted to a pair of sandals, Teva Originals but find that they are not the right sandal for long hikes. I have custom orthotics which I have tried in the shoes, but they do not stop the problem. I cannot get a podiatrist appt before I go, so getting a little concerned.
Does any one else have this issue? I appreciate there are a lot of factors to consider, weight etc (1 am 124lb) but any recommendations / thoughts would be very much appreciated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, I am starting my first Camino from SJP the first week in Sept and am hoping that you good folks may be able to share your thoughts on my issue with shoes and sandals.
I brought Saucony Peregrine 12 as recommended by a running shop and am finding that after 6 miles I am getting metatarsalgia pain when carrying my pack (which is 15lb) I also over pronate in this foot. I reverted to a pair of sandals, Teva Originals but find that they are not the right sandal for long hikes. I have custom orthotics which I have tried in the shoes, but they do not stop the problem. I cannot get a podiatrist appt before I go, so getting a little concerned.
Does any one else have this issue? I appreciate there are a lot of factors to consider, weight etc (1 am 124lb) but any recommendations / thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Consider wearing walking boots that support your ankles

Sadly it is a very personal thing, we and our feet are all different, and what works for others may not work for you.

For example, I used to wear boots but can't now as they are too heavy for my bad knees.
I wear trail runners but not the ones that are most popular as I need more cushioning.
I have Teva sandals but can't hike in them as they lack support and fill with small stones.

Others love boots, love sandals etc etc
One of the most popular shoes, Ultra Lone Peaks hurt my feet after 2 kms!
No cushioning. They feel like ballet shoes to me.
But that's just me......

I tried dozens of different shoes over the last 2 years.
Ended up buying four different brands.
Took my preferred ones to a podiatrist for his opinion and for custom orthotics.

You will likely now get suggestions for every brand and model available.

I think it's really down to trying different footwear and seeing what is comfortable for you.

When do you depart? Can you find another podiatrist or a really good hiking store for advice?

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Pargles
There are so many responses to this question on this forum.
You will be so confused with all the responses. No one can check out all the shoes mentioned.
It really comes down to trying on shoes (that are available where you live); and deciding yourself which are most comfortable for ‘you’ and which tick the boxes.
I wear locally the trail runners I wear on camino. Just as long as they are comfortable and have space for socks and swelling as that may happen.
I will attach one similar recent thread for you ….

I hope you find what you need soon ,

Unfortunately the only footwear that is right for you is the one you find is right for you and all you can receive from us is what works for us.

For me? It is Keen Newport H2 trekking sandals, the webbing ones, not the leather ones.
I have very (VERY!) wide feet and also need a properly shaped foot bed - plus a sole thick enough for all terrains - the H2 is perfect for me - I have never worn boots or trail shoes since finding them.

They are the only footwear I have ever worn that five minutes after putting them on I am unaware that I am wearing them. Although I use them everywhere they are actually specific to water use so are great even in the rain!

They may be good for you too - ?

keen-newport-h2.jpg

I am starting the Camino Norte in mid September and am also considering taking a pair of hiking sandals alongside of my hiking shoes. Couple of questions if anyone has knowledge, would I regret not having ankle supported boots on the CN, and would hiking sandals be appropriate for all the CN terrain? Advantage I can see is less weight as I can leave my hiking boots at home. Views welcome specifically on how this would relate to CN.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am starting the Camino Norte in mid September and am also considering taking a pair of hiking sandals alongside of my hiking shoes. Couple of questions if anyone has knowledge, would I regret not having ankle supported boots on the CN, and would hiking sandals be appropriate for all the CN terrain? Advantage I can see is less weight as I can leave my hiking boots at home. Views welcome specifically on how this would relate to CN.
I just finished the CN. I started in Irun and only wore hiking sandals (Chacos), which I had previously worn so I knew would be comfortable for long distances. There were a few days I in the first week where I had to go slow and be careful because the sandals didn't provide much support on uneven terrain or walking on larger rocks (my foot would slide a bit to the side). But overall I was happy with the sandals and would wear them again.

I just finished the CN. I started in Irun and only wore hiking sandals (Chacos), which I had previously worn so I knew would be comfortable for long distances. There were a few days I in the first week where I had to go slow and be careful because the sandals didn't provide much support on uneven terrain or walking on larger rocks (my foot would slide a bit to the side). But overall I was happy with the sandals and would wear them again.
Thanks for the reply. May have more questions about your CN experience! So from your experience I think I am going to be leaving my hiking boots ( ankle supported) at home, as i am leaning to not taking them if I can get away with it. I would then take the sandals as my option to my hiking shoes.

I’ve just purchased some Teva Tirra women’s hiking sandals but I found the web overwhelming with choices of Teva’s so I’m hoping I made the right choice as I will be wearing these as well as my trusty walking shoes, Lowa Renegade low rise shoes, which I’ve worn on all my Camino‘s since 2012. (3rd pair). I’m not sure if I’ve chosen the right sandals but feel more straps are likely to be more supportive. I’m still only using them in the house to make sure there are no pinch points. I think wearing the right socks should be an important factor with your choice of shoes/sandals too. I wear Bridgedale and they do ones for different weather conditions. The best thing about these socks is that they don’t move or grow after washing as some makes do. I hope you find something to suit you In time. There are some good shoe shops in Spain too as I found out when my Lowa’s wore out.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I recommend wearing really good, well-fitting boots--especially for the Route Napoleon but also for the rough terrain in other areas. When we walked the Camino Frances (which we did in stages), I wore boots for four of the five stages, and I felt that they really worked for me. I wore Brooks Cascadia trail shoes for the stage from Logrono to Burgos, and had trouble with my feet. I am about your weight, carried a 12-pound pack, have very skinny feet, and overpronate. With regard to sandals, I don't find Tevas to be sturdy enough. I wore Chacos for casual wear.

Unfortunately the only footwear that is right for you is the one you find is right for you and all you can receive from us is what works for us.

For me? It is Keen Newport H2 trekking sandals, the webbing ones, not the leather ones.
I have very (VERY!) wide feet and also need a properly shaped foot bed - plus a sole thick enough for all terrains - the H2 is perfect for me - I have never worn boots or trail shoes since finding them.

They are the only footwear I have ever worn that five minutes after putting them on I am unaware that I am wearing them. Although I use them everywhere they are actually specific to water use so are great even in the rain!

View attachment 154956
I have similar sandals by a different manufacturer. My experience of the underfoot conditions of the Frances is that I would wear nothing less than these for a whole variety of reasons but mainly stability due to the terrain and the stones and grit that abounds.

You are probably now in the realm of RICE for a few days. Add some calf stretches/raises on a step to stimulate and stretch the tendons/ligaments in your feet. The heel-toe “drop” on the saucony’s might not suit your feet. Do you have a brand of trainers that you normally wear for extended periods with no pain? If your feet are already used to the shape of a last and a heel-toe drop you might be better served by sticking with that brand. My feet just happen to be happy with ASICS, but my friend’s feet are happier with Adidas.
After about 2 weeks I had significant feet problems when the mid-sole failed on my “big brand” boots. Bag transport services helped take the daily weight off my feet and I shortened my distance every day. Rest days in Burgos and Leon also helped. Also stopped at about 10km for the last 3 weeks to take off boots and massage feet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the reply. May have more questions about your CN experience! So from your experience I think I am going to be leaving my hiking boots ( ankle supported) at home, as i am leaning to not taking them if I can get away with it. I would then take the sandals as my option to my hiking shoes.
NP.
I should add, I wore socks (injinji toe socks) while walking with my sandals.

I walked the first 10 days in merrell Moab 3 in wide. They worked well without any blisters. But then I switched to my Chaco Z-1 also in a wide. The next 26 days were all in the sandals. They were a game changer for me…my feet were very happy with the change. I did also wear a thin liner sock along with my Darn Tough smart wool socks. No blisters! Amazingly my feet stayed dry even in the rain. Got to live smart wool. So never had to put on wet shoes to start the next days walk.

The next 26 days were all in the sandals. They were a game changer for me…my feet were very happy with the change
I switched to sandals only a few days in to my 3rd Camino, on the Norte. My feet feel so much better at the end of the day! My hiking sandals have a good sole with the same tread as trail runners/hiking shoes of the same brand. Like other sandalistas I do wear socks while on the trail - they keep my feet cleaner, and stop issues with straps rubbing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the comment about the Chacos. I have a pair that I’m going to wear on the Ruta Teresiana and the Camino de Madrid in September and October. It’s good to hear your positive report. My training in them has gone really well. I like the airflow and room for my feet to spread.

I agree with comments about shoe choice. I’ve tried all sorts, including the Keen Newports, which I liked, overall. I wore the Keens on the Norte and they were comfortable, although I did get a few blisters, I think from lots of pavement walking.

It’s trial and error to see what suits best during training, if possible under similar conditions to the walk you’ll be doing. One thing I’ve learnt is that boots are not for me - too hot and heavy, especially in the heat of Spain.

View attachment 154956
I also have these and they are made to have orthotics. Love the toe cap. Can wear with socks if required.

Peregrine 12 have rock plate if I am not mistaken , try something with more cushion and lower drop - 5mm . Hoka Topo have such models . Sandals -Keen Newport H2 , in 2018 I walked almost entire Frances with pair of them .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sadly it is a very personal thing, we and our feet are all different, and what works for others may not work for you.

For example, I used to wear boots but can't now as they are too heavy for my bad knees.
I wear trail runners but not the ones that are most popular as I need more cushioning.
I have Teva sandals but can't hike in them as they lack support and fill with small stones.

Others love boots, love sandals etc etc
One of the most popular shoes, Ultra Lone Peaks hurt my feet after 2 kms!
No cushioning. They feel like ballet shoes to me.
But that's just me......

I tried dozens of different shoes over the last 2 years.
Ended up buying four different brands.
Took my preferred ones to a podiatrist for his opinion and for custom orthotics.

You will likely now get suggestions for every brand and model available.

I think it's really down to trying different footwear and seeing what is comfortable for you.

When do you depart? Can you find another podiatrist or a really good hiking store for advice?

I am trying to get a cancellation with the podiatrist, who is highly recommended. I go on the 7th Sep. Meanwhile, going to try orthotic insoles. Unfortunately we do not have a good hiking store anywhere near by. Thank you so much for your reply.

Hi Pargles
There are so many responses to this question on this forum.
You will be so confused with all the responses. No one can check out all the shoes mentioned.
It really comes down to trying on shoes (that are available where you live); and deciding yourself which are most comfortable for ‘you’ and which tick the boxes.
I wear locally the trail runners I wear on camino. Just as long as they are comfortable and have space for socks and swelling as that may happen.
I will attach one similar recent thread for you ….

I hope you find what you need soon ,
Thank you Annie, I will take a look at the link.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

View attachment 154956
I think I may have to order several pairs of shoes and return the ones that are not suitable. This looks to be a very good option, just need to check out what support the heel gets. Many thanks

I’ve just purchased some Teva Tirra women’s hiking sandals but I found the web overwhelming with choices of Teva’s so I’m hoping I made the right choice as I will be wearing these as well as my trusty walking shoes, Lowa Renegade low rise shoes, which I’ve worn on all my Camino‘s since 2012. (3rd pair). I’m not sure if I’ve chosen the right sandals but feel more straps are likely to be more supportive. I’m still only using them in the house to make sure there are no pinch points. I think wearing the right socks should be an important factor with your choice of shoes/sandals too. I wear Bridgedale and they do ones for different weather conditions. The best thing about these socks is that they don’t move or grow after washing as some makes do. I hope you find something to suit you In time. There are some good shoe shops in Spain too as I found out when my Lowa’s wore out.
Thank Juno, I have just ordered a pair of Teva Tirra sandals, with webbing rather than leather. My hiking boots are the Lowa Renegades. I have been wearing them with hard plastic custom orthotics (half foot) which caused pain. will try again with other Orthopedic insoles that are full length instead. Worse case scenario, is I have to wait until I get to Spain to get more choice.

I recommend wearing really good, well-fitting boots--especially for the Route Napoleon but also for the rough terrain in other areas. When we walked the Camino Frances (which we did in stages), I wore boots for four of the five stages, and I felt that they really worked for me. I wore Brooks Cascadia trail shoes for the stage from Logrono to Burgos, and had trouble with my feet. I am about your weight, carried a 12-pound pack, have very skinny feet, and overpronate. With regard to sandals, I don't find Tevas to be sturdy enough. I wore Chacos for casual wear.
Thank you for your reply, I will take a look at Brooks and Chacos

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Peregrine 12 have rock plate if I am not mistaken , try something with more cushion and lower drop - 5mm . Hoka Topo have such models . Sandals -Keen Newport H2 , in 2018 I walked almost entire Frances with pair of them .
You are right about the Peregrines. I have heard differing reports on the recent quality of Hoka's. Keen Newport H2 seem to be a popular choice. thanks

Thank Juno, I have just ordered a pair of Teva Tirra sandals, with webbing rather than leather. My hiking boots are the Lowa Renegades. I have been wearing them with hard plastic custom orthotics (half foot) which caused pain. will try again with other Orthopedic insoles that are full length instead. Worse case scenario, is I have to wait until I get to Spain to get more choice.
Just received my Teva Tirra sandals and to my relief they are comfortable and supportive. I will take them as my second pair and to wear when needed. Nice and waterproof too.
I hope you find something to suit you but remember professional walking socks will help with comfort and support too, Orthotics didn’t work for me.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In regard to the Renagades I have worn them for years as well as the Renegade shoes. The shoes are excellent and are what I wore on my last Camino. Supportive, grippy and blister free. I am on my third pair. Recently bought LOWA Sirkos which appear so far to be a lighter suede and fabric version of the Renegade shoes.

I don't know how far you plan to go but here I go. You should have started looking and testing your wearable gear 6 months ago and then training 3 months prior to departure. Talk to a pediatrist right away for advice. See if your pediatrist can recommend another pediatrist. I've never done this pilgrimage, however, I have outfitted people going everywhere and I mean everywhere. You should have started looking and testing for hiking shoes 6 months earlier because it takes a month to break in leather hiking shoes and there are lots to choose from out there. My recommendation is Asolo hiking shoes, not the leather unless you want to take chances. Start breaking them in immediately. Train by going on walks with a 15 lbs pack so you get used to it and your feet too. I wear prescription orthotics too. Train with trekking poles too. A set of trekking poles (Black Diamond) will take 20% of the work off your joints. Use them but have the salesperson show you how to adjust them according to your height. Get a GOOD rain jacket with pit zips to ventilate (Arcteryx if you're lean ) with a hood attached (I go up to the next size for comfort) and a waterproof cover for your pack. Back to your shoes. Go up a half size maybe a whole size because of your socks. If your feet are wide, get the wide width. I wear lightweight wool socks (Smartwood) all year around, heavier in the winter. Try a sock liner then the sock over it. Moleskin just in case. By the way, the Hurricane Tevas are my go-to sandals. Hope this makes sense to read.

Keen Newport for me, the leather one, with socks. Worked very well for me on Chemin du Puy this year. The socks get rather dirty. There is definite risk to picking footwear so close to your start. Its very much an individual choice, advice here may be useless to you, including this one. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi! My shoes of choice for the Camino were Sketchers D'lites. When it rained, nothing soaked through. When it was hot and sunny, my feet felt fine. Wore cotton socks with them.
I"ll be using Sketchers on my next Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 154956
What is your normal shoe size and what size sandals did you get for the Camino. Also, do you wear socks with these?

What is your normal shoe size and what size sandals did you get for the Camino. Also, do you wear socks with these?

I am a 12 (4EE or 4EEE wide!!) but as the webbing Newports are a comfy 'not tight' fit for me at my size that is the size I always wear - my feet don't seem to swell in trekking sandals whereas they always did in boots. Maybe because they are aired all the time?
Note: Anyone else noted their feet don't go up a size when on Camino in trekking sandals?

Socks? With sandals?? Ahhhh ... in England that is a no no no!! stared at in the streets! laughed at by children 😄 - but! (don't tell my English friends) I do wear socks on Camino if it is too cold in the early morning.
... and (again don't tell my English friends!) they are SO comfortable with socks!!!

Re socks n trekking sandals in England - we see Americans wearing them but for some unknown weird reason they always seem to be white synthetic half calf length, drawn up tight .... surprised they are never arrested by our fashion police ... I am wondering if I could shatter tradition by wearing trekking socks folded down with my Keens so they look "rugged"?? Am I brave enough?????? :eek:

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am a 12 (4EE or 4EEE wide!!) but as the webbing Newports are a comfy 'not tight' fit for me at my size that is the size I always wear - my feet don't seem to swell in trekking sandals whereas they always did in boots. Maybe because they are aired all the time?
Note: Anyone else noted their feet don't go up a size when on Camino in trekking sandals?

Socks? With sandals?? Ahhhh ... in England that is a no no no!! stared at in the streets! laughed at by children 😄 - but! (don't tell my English friends) I do wear socks on Camino if it is too cold in the early morning.
... and (again don't tell my English friends!) they are SO comfortable with socks!!!

Re socks n trekking sandals in England - we see Americans wearing them but for some unknown weird reason they always seem to be white synthetic half calf length, drawn up tight .... surprised they are never arrested by our fashion police ... I am wondering if I could shatter tradition by wearing trekking socks folded down with my Keens so they look "rugged"?? Am I brave enough?????? :eek:
The basis of swelling feet is that they get wider and fatter but not longer. Exactly as you say the width fitting is so important.
i am a 12 as well but normally buy a 13 as most supposed size 13 made outside the UK are actually 12.

Well, I did it. Put on folded down hiking socks and walked off into town (Bath, UK) in my Newports ... Newports with socks .. in England!
and what happened? did the sky fall? Was I taunted by street urchins? Any sniggering? Nope ... just one double take - looks at my feet, catches my eyes, walks on - from a spotty cigarette smoking teenager who was wearing sandals without socks ... so there you go .. I have broken the English tradition ....
interestingly there are an extraordinary number of people not wearing socks with all sorts of footwear - when did that happen?

IMG_20230828_101913820.jpg

Well, I did it. Put on folded down hiking socks and walked off into town (Bath, UK) in my Newports ... Newports with socks .. in England!
and what happened? did the sky fall? Was I taunted by street urchins? Any sniggering? Nope ... just one double take - looks at my feet, catches my eyes, walks on - from a spotty cigarette smoking teenager who was wearing sandals without socks ... so there you go .. I have broken the English tradition ....
interestingly there are an extraordinary number of people not wearing socks with all sorts of footwear - when did that happen?

View attachment 155304
I’ve worn ankle socks with my Keen Newports for years. Much more comfortable, especially in hot weather. They get far less smelly.

I walked the first 10 days in merrell Moab 3 in wide. They worked well without any blisters. But then I switched to my Chaco Z-1 also in a wide. The next 26 days were all in the sandals. They were a game changer for me…my feet were very happy with the change. I did also wear a thin liner sock along with my Darn Tough smart wool socks. No blisters! Amazingly my feet stayed dry even in the rain. Got to live smart wool. So never had to put on wet shoes to start the next days walk.
I have exactly the same foot-wear. I usually start with the Moabs and switch to the Chacos mid-day. My feet are always happy with the change. And if I change back from the Chacos to shoes again, I wear a clean pair of socks...always Darned Tough merino wool. Works for me.

I have exactly the same foot-wear. I usually start with the Moabs and switch to the Chacos mid-day. My feet are always happy with the change. And if I change back from the Chacos to shoes again, I wear a clean pair of socks...always Darned Tough merino wool. Works for me.
Many thanks for your reply

View attachment 155304
I did try on a pair of Keen Newport H2 and loved them, needed a size larger though and cannot get a pair from anywhere. Shame

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi! My shoes of choice for the Camino were Sketchers D'lites. When it rained, nothing soaked through. When it was hot and sunny, my feet felt fine. Wore cotton socks with them.
I"ll be using Sketchers on my next Camino.
Many thanks

Unfortunately the only " ......................... " that is right for you is the one you find is right for you and all you can receive from us is what works for us.
This could be pinned at the top of many threads.

If you haven't done a lot ofwalking, sadly, you're out of luck and won't know until you have tried various things over a few thousand kms. Just think that a first Camino is a learning experience for many dimensions of your life, and for most of us here, an excellent (learning) experience with many ups and often not too many downs.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.