• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking/Walking Shoes or Sandals

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles fr. Ferrol 8/2024
I have recently returned from my first Camino - Sarria to Santiago. I had brought with me to wear a pair of Hoka Speedgoats, which were fine and comfortable on my training walks, and a pair of Oofos Oocando (croc-like water sandals) for evenings/around town, or if it rained.

After 2-1/2 days, I was done with the speedgoats - the toe box ended up being way too narrow once I was walking all day, even as they fit fine otherwise and through the heel. The Oofos carried me well and comfortably every afternoon and for all of the last 3 days of my walk and bringing them may have been the best decision I made — except for pebbles that would get uncomfortably under my feet, requiring me to take them off and shake them out rather frequently. (And of course, the soles are not made for that much walking — by the time I arrived I. Santiago there was already nothing even resembling a tread under the ball of my foot).

I’m thinking about and preparing for my next Camino (who doesn’t). At someone else’s suggestion I’m trying out Altra Lone Peaks, but they don’t have the cushioning my older feet need, and I’m not sure my back and knee like the 0 drop.

All of this is by way of saying that I’m looking for a women’s shoe that is well-cushioned and has a wide toe box, but is not a wide shoe. I’d gladly try sandals as well, as long as they were enclosed enough to keep out the rocks and pebbles. Suggestions?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m thinking about and preparing for my next Camino (who doesn’t). At someone else’s suggestion I’m trying out Altra Lone Peaks, but they don’t have the cushioning my older feet need, and I’m not sure my back and knee like the 0 drop.
Altra makes other models with a lot more cushioning, like the Olympus and TIMP.
Of course you would have to make sure that the zero drop works for you.

Topo is another brand with a wide toe box that people like. On their site you can filter by the amount of drop the shoe has, cushioning, etc.

I’m looking for a women’s shoe that is well-cushioned and has a wide toe box, but is not a wide shoe.
Is there a reason you don't want an officially "wide" shoe? I think that probably many people should be using them. You liked the Speedgoat except they turned out to be too narrow. They come in wide. I have found that Hokas tend to be a bit narrow than New Balance, for example - I am now testing the Bondi 8 in a Wide and I also had to go up a 1/2 size beyond my usually roomy size, just for a bit of additional width.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is there a reason you don't want an officially "wide" shoe? I think that probably many people should be using them. You liked the Speedgoat except they turned out to be too narrow. They come in wide. I have found that Hokas tend to be a bit narrow than New Balance, for example - I am now testing the Bondi 8 in a Wide and I also had to go up a 1/2 size beyond my usually roomy size, just for a bit of additional width.

It’s a good question - my feet have always been narrow, but I suspect have gotten wider with age. Also, my ankles are not the sturdiest. So, I said “not wide” because the Hokas fit well along the length of my foot, and held my heel down well and were otherwise nicely stable. I guess I’m afraid that a wider shoe overall would allow for too much movement.

I guess I’m afraid that a wider shoe overall would allow for too much movement.
Try them! If necessary, you can lace a little more firmly to keep the shoe appropriately snug around your midfoot, and you can use lacing techniques to lock your heel in.

The differences in width are not gigantic!

It’s a good question - my feet have always been narrow, but I suspect have gotten wider with age. Also, my ankles are not the sturdiest. So, I said “not wide” because the Hokas fit well along the length of my foot, and held my heel down well and were otherwise nicely stable. I guess I’m afraid that a wider shoe overall would allow for too much movement.

The most important thing a person needs to do when shopping for distance-walking footwear, be it backpacking or a pilgrimage on camino, is to ignore what your stated shoe size has been. You are going after a shoe that Fits properly and FEELS comfortable.

Here are some guidelines that I have posted previously.

The most important theme for achieving a proper fit is: You do not choose a shoe based on measurements, you buy a shoe based on its Fit 'n' Feel regardless of instrument measurements.
  1. When you go to the store, do so toward the end of the day.... you will have been up on your feet, so that will help with getting the correct fit. Additionally, you will need to wear the same backpack with the same gear you will be carrying... you want this additional weight on you as this will put the same downward pressure on the foot that you will be having while on Camino.
  2. Wear the exact same sock(s) you will be wearing while you are walking on the Camino. And if you have a special insole or orthotic, bring it with you.
  3. At the store, the measuring that will be done on your feet is only to get you in the ballpark for the correct shoe size.
  4. Start by standing up; never measure while sitting. You want the full weight of your body, with the pack on, to put the same pressure on your feet to spread them out as will happen while walking. That alone will increase the volume and size of your feet.
  5. Make sure those 'Camino' socks are on your feet; if you wear socks with liners while walking, do the same thing at the store.
  6. While standing, have someone near to you that you can use to steady yourself. With the measuring device on the ground, step onto the instrument and center all of your weight onto the foot being measured. Do the same for the other foot.
  7. Start with that size, but be aware that both the width and the length need to feel like there is adequate room for your feet. Ideally, like Goldilocks, everything will be just right. But, don't count on it. Be picky.
  8. If you have special insoles or orthotics, put them into any shoe you try on as they will take up space inside the shoe.
  9. When you find what you think will fit you well, you will need to see if your toes have enough clearance. Toes should not be able to be forced to the front of the shoe and touch the shoe. Not even a little. If they do, long walking and downhill grades on the trail or path or road will traumatize the bed of the nail, and that is when toenails can blacken and fall off.
  10. With your shoes tied securely, but not too tight, walk around the store with your pack on. Go up stairs and down stairs, scuff the shoes to the floor so that your feet are forced to do any movement they will do and see if your toes so much as butterfly kiss the front of the shoe. Kick the front of the shoe into a post or stair or wall or someone's shin.... does that make any of your toes touch the front of the shoe? That goes for all the little piggies.
  11. Next, pay attention to the width of the shoe. It shouldn't feel snug on the sides and there should be no rubbing or pressure points at all. They will not go away with "break in". They will create soreness, pain, and blistering. Even if it seems to be tolerable, it is like water torture; as your feet are continually exposed to those pressure points your feet will break down against them bit by bit, and bruising, blisters, and soreness will follow.
  12. You may (or not) need to go up in size anywhere from 1/2 to 2 full sizes in length; and the same holds true with the need to go with a wider width to avoid those things I mentioned above. The notion that one avoids blisters by wearing snug footwear has been shown to do just the opposite.
Stores have varying policies about returns, so be sure to know what the return policy is in case you find problems with the shoes as you wear them around inside the house for a few days. Some stores and online retailers will let you return shoes even AFTER you wear them outside.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Stores have varying policies about returns, so be sure to know what the return policy is in case you find problems with the shoes as you wear them around inside the house for a few days. Some stores and online retailers will let you return shoes even AFTER you wear them outside.

These are all great tips, but the last one might be the most important because I cannot recommend REI’s return policy more. After I got home, I brought the speedgoats to the REI store to see if my issue might be helped with a different insole (I pronate a bit and thought that might be causing the squished big toe issue), not at all thinking of returning them given that I had trained in them for 2 months and had about 20 Camino miles on them, but as I explained the situation and what I was looking for, they practically insisted that they take them back. And I let them. :)

These are all great tips, but the last one might be the most important because I cannot recommend REI’s return policy more. After I got home, I brought the speedgoats to the REI store to see if my issue might be helped with a different insole (I pronate a bit and thought that might be causing the squished big toe issue), not at all thinking of returning them given that I had trained in them for 2 months and had about 20 Camino miles on them, but as I explained the situation and what I was looking for, they practically insisted that they take them back. And I let them. :)

I am very familiar with REI, having been a member when the Whittakers were involved in it. I've been fortunate to have been invited to train the staff of many REI stores on issues related to things like footwear, backpacks, tents, etc.

I find that a good return policy can also be had at various shops, not to take anything away from REI itself. Personally, nowadays I find it more convenient to use an online concern, like Amazon or Zappos, etc for trying fit and performance of footwear. Then again, the nearest REI store is 180 miles from home :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Brooks Cascadia, trail running shoes, have a wide toe box and soles that hold up to the various terrains on the Camino.

I have recently returned from my first Camino - Sarria to Santiago. I had brought with me to wear a pair of Hoka Speedgoats, which were fine and comfortable on my training walks, and a pair of Oofos Oocando (croc-like water sandals) for evenings/around town, or if it rained.

After 2-1/2 days, I was done with the speedgoats - the toe box ended up being way too narrow once I was walking all day, even as they fit fine otherwise and through the heel. The Oofos carried me well and comfortably every afternoon and for all of the last 3 days of my walk and bringing them may have been the best decision I made — except for pebbles that would get uncomfortably under my feet, requiring me to take them off and shake them out rather frequently. (And of course, the soles are not made for that much walking — by the time I arrived I. Santiago there was already nothing even resembling a tread under the ball of my foot).

All of this is by way of saying that I’m looking for a women’s shoe that is well-cushioned and has a wide toe box, but is not a wide shoe. I’d gladly try sandals as well, as long as they were enclosed enough to keep out the rocks and pebbles. Suggestions?
I just completed the whole of the Frances and wore Merrill Nova 3. After 500 miles they still had a decent sole on them and still wearing them on my weekly hikes. Carried a second pair in my pack in case they didn’t last but never wore them apart from my flight home.

The Speedgoats were too narrow for me but the Hoka Challenger ATR5’s fit well. I do, however, wear the Topo Ultraventure more often now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

keen newport h2s for the hiking sandals- did majority of CF in them no problem- this was after the lonepeaks failed. also recommended are keen targhee vent hiking shoes. didn’t wear on CF but wear them hiking here at home when it’s too cold for the sandals- basically the same footbed with wide toe box. these hold up to all the rocks and gravel on the camino.

I have used Teva hiking sandals and like them very much . On cool days I wore wool socks. ( not cool I know)

l almost always use Keens, because of their wider toe box - the only problem with them is that they are very hard on the feet/ankles, etc. when you're walking on asphalt. Is there a work around for that?

Like everyone else, weight is a concern. Is it worth bringing another pair of asphalt friendly shoes (I am not a fan of walking with sandals). I will have an el cheapo pair of open toes with me too, for the shower and hanging out at the end of the day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Hoka boots

Thanks everyone for your input.

I decided today that the Altras will go back to REI. I’ve had a week of walking in them, on walks between 3 and 6 miles, and at the end of each, it felt like everything in my body hurt - something that never happened with the Hokas. So I’m going to give the Topo Ultraventures a try.

I have a wide toebox but wides allow too much heel movement. I used Oboz low ankle hikers and Teva Terra sandals. I also have Topo tennis shoes, but I wouldn’t take them on the Camino because I can feel rocks even at my local park.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.