• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Should I make reservations on the Coastal Route?

Jaime Byrd

Artist, Filmmaker, and walking Nomad
Time of past OR future Camino
France 2018
Portugal 2022 Spring
Thanks for this info! Do you have advice on this same subject for the camino Portuguese in late March/ early April? I usually don't make a reservation if I can help it, but doing so the night before would work if we had to. Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for this info! Do you have advice on this same subject for the camino Portuguese in late March/ early April? I usually don't make a reservation if I can help it, but doing so the night before would work if we had to. Thanks!
Where are you starting from and which route are you taking. I walked in late September/October which is busier that late march I believe. To double check look on the official pilgrim web page for info.
I started in Lisbon and left early because the albergue in Alpriate is really small. At this point it is not open because of covid. I was there about an hour before it opened and within a few minutes of it being open it was full. It was a holy year in Fatima and there were pilgrims walking to Fatima that year. I walked the Central route from Porto. I never worried about reservations in 2017 when I walked. It just was never that busy. I can tell you that the coastal/central routes are much different. The coastal route has more places to sleep besides albergues because of the tourism aspect of being on the ocean. I do not know what the open/closed status of albergues will be a month from now. If I were you I would check Gronze.com as they do a very good job of keeping open/closed status as up to date as possible. I was told that the Camino Ninja app does too. Call ahead to be sure. You will be surprised how many people speak English in Portugal. You can always enlist the help of the owners or hospitaleros in the albergues to help you with information of open/closed albergues for your next night. You will love the people in Portugal!

Thanks for this! Sorry, I forgot some details, but I think you answered them for me. We're starting from Porto taking the coastal route. =)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum