• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Silk Handbag

Trish from Melbourne

The first step in a journey of many steps
Time of past OR future Camino
April 2015
Hi - I am sure that I read in a thread that someone had made their own silk handbag - very light and compact and provided a good way to take essentials with you to dinner.

I would hoping that someone out there had a pattern to share

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We have a cloth bag which is simply two squares and a long 'all round' strip for the bottom sides and strap. Keep the join for this half way down one side for strength. If wanted the 'back' square could be cut as a rectangle to make an overlap flap with a stud/button fastening. The top can be zipped, but if so allow for seams and sew the zip in first before assembling the bag.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I made a silk bag (from a sari) hung it round my neck so I could listen to uplifting music on my mini ipad without the need for earphones. Sewed ties to the top edges so it wouldn't fall out.

We have a cloth bag which is simply two squares and a long 'all round' strip for the bottom sides and strap. Keep the join for this half way down one side for strength. If wanted the 'back' square could be cut as a rectangle to make an overlap flap with a stud/button fastening. The top can be zipped, but if so allow for seams and sew the zip in first before assembling the bag.

Thank you Tia - that sounds prety easy. I am not a natural seamstress but I think I could manage that

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Trish -

If you're not a natural seamstress, as a possible alternative, take a look at this extremely lightweight, strong and scrunchable-to-a-very-small size bag that I used all the time on my recent 'working not walking' Camino when I volunteered at one of the albergues in Rabanal. I was frequently asked where I'd bought the bag.

AUD$12.95

The Bubble Bag is an amazingly innovative bag that expands as objects are placed inside!
Made from sturdy polyester the Bubble Bags have a long shoulder strap and are ideal for shopping, gym, or the beach!
Available in 6 colours, simply scrunch up the bubble bag when it's not in use for easy storage and keep one in your car or handbag so you will never be without!

I used mine every day. If I nipped around to the shop to get the fixings for lunch - jamon, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes - into the bag they went. Ditto for the tinto! Into the bag it went! When on my dinner break I'd take the ipad and my wallet etc in the bag. I would often tie the long shoulder straps in a knot and then sling it over my shoulder, or tie up as you would do with a gift, and use it as a clutch bag. I checked the weight of the bag on my kitchen scale and it's 35 grams. The bag is available from annabeltrends.com but you might also be able to pick one up at a homewares shop near you in Melbourne. The uses are endless. I've had mine for about 5 years now and it's always in my handbag.

This is my bag, empty and laid flat. The dimensions are 22cms x 17.5cms, and as you will notice, mine has stretched a bit over the years - probably a few too many bottles of tinto in it over time!

photo (24).JPG

I hope that this helps if you decide not to make a silk bag yourself. Best wishes with it if you do - it will be a lovely and unique bag.

Cheers - Jenny

My sister in law in Melbourne makes super-lightweight shopping bags out of gossamer fabric - send me a PM if you want one!
Hi Kanga - I'd love to see one of your sister-in-law's shopping bags. If you plan to be at the next pilgrim meeting (next Wednesday), perhaps you could bring one along.
Cheers - Jenny

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I knew it Jenny you cant get enough tinto in one bag so now you need two! Then in lent we all have to suffer withdrawal.

This is the male version. Folds up really small - no need to scrunch it - is completely waterproof, and very strong - can be found in most good supermarkets, price £0.

View attachment 13110

Hmmm tried one today David but I can't get the handles to rest on my shoulder and you feel like you are been sponsored with the name plastered on the side and they stretch an awful lot with six bottles of Tinto in them! ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
b - you're 'on fire' today! So hilarious! And you've guessed correctly about the tinto!

David - your cost-effective alternative is most commendable and SO suitable for the peregrinos. An added bonus is that everyone will know you're from England too, which could be a lovely conversation starter! Imagine this scenario - one pilgrim to another, meeting for the first time ..."Aah - I see you have one of those fabulous Sainsbury's bags ... are you from England?" Immediately you have a topic of conversation to build upon!
I have to tell you though, the peregrinas WILL need to up-style the bag a tad ... any suggestions?

Cheers! Jenny :)

Last edited:
I knew it Jenny you cant get enough tinto in one bag so now you need two! Then in lent we all have to suffer withdrawal.
Hola Pilgrim B - she was very, very good last Lent - kept the non-alcohol rule even when we heathens tried to tempt her. Cheers

This is the male version. Folds up really small - no need to scrunch it - is completely waterproof, and very strong - can be found in most good supermarkets, price £0./QUOTE]
Hola David - I picked up a similar one in Spain (Merida?) last year but I think they hit me 25/50 E cents. Also got a very good one from the LIDO supermarket in France in 2008 - it was still going great 3 years later. Cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola David - I picked up a similar one in Spain (Merida?) last year but I think they hit me 25/50 E cents. Also got a very good one from the LIDO supermarket in France in 2008 - it was still going great 3 years later. Cheers

Yes but does it have extra large handles so you can sling it over your shoulder Saint Mike (hey just had a thought your not related to Marks and Spencers are you Saint Mike? ) if you are you could maybe get us a good deal!;)

M&S do a neat little black bag, insulated so it will keep your beer cool. Hand version only!

Attachments

• M&S bag.jpg
    M&S bag.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 6
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's not silk, and I didn't sew it, but I was very happy with a 3 oz. ChicoBag crossbody bag. Zipper closure and and adjustable crossbody strap made me feel that the contents couldn't be gotten at without me noticing. It has a small internal zippered pocket which doubles as a storage pouch. Size is adjustable from pretty small to pretty large, with a claimed 40 lb. carrying capacity (probably could only handle 4 bottles of tinto though). I could wear it while I was wearing my full pack, which isn't something you can do with a daypack. Reasonably stylish (at least compared to the rest of my pilgrim gear) for my travels pre and post Camino. If it were waterproof and available in more subtle colors it would be perfect. So maybe the perfect bag could be made using this one as a model. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ASJV8G/?tag=casaivar02-20

Yes but does it have extra large handles so you can sling it over your shoulder Saint Mike (hey just had a thought your not related to Marks and Spencers are you Saint Mike? ) if you are you could maybe get us a good deal!;)
No not related to Marks & Sparks - last English born relation left in 1857.
As for "handles" - can not remember but I don't think so - more like a very good quality version of the bags most western supermarkets give you if you do not bring your own.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Coincidentally, and FYI, GreatDane just mentioned the Sea to Summit Sling Bag in another thread (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...on-a-plane-with-a-backpack.28892/#post-241484). I just ordered one to replace the ChicoBag that I recommended above (my daughter stole/borrowed mine). It appears to have all the great qualities of my old bag, plus it weighs even less, is water resistant, and is available in grey. So I'm mentioning it here for the non-sewers!

My sister in law in Melbourne makes super-lightweight shopping bags out of gossamer fabric - send me a PM if you want one!
Hi Kanga - if you have a picture of your sister-in-laws bags, I think that they sound like they might be exactly what I am after. I was thinking silk as something that was incredibly light and space-conservative yet would look a little nicer when I was wandering around Paris and Barcelona. Would definitely love to see.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
Does anyone have a favorite place to stay in arzua? Thanks for any suggestions!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back