• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

SIM cards and roaming - Primitivo

Bedl0w

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2011), Portuguese & Finisterre (2014), Primitivo (2016
I am planning to do the Camino Primitivo at the beginning of June 2016. I was intending to buy a pay in advance Spanish SIM card for my unsmart mobile telephone which does voice and text messages only. However with the recent reduction in roaming charges in Europe I wonder whether there is much point in doing this. Currently I have an Irish Post Mobile prepaid SIM. Apart from sending home a text each day to say I'm still alive and where I am, and probably phoning home once a week I do not envisage using the phone much. Is it possible or adviseable to book albergues in advance on the Primitivo and, if so, how far in advance?In 2011 I did the complete French route and never phoned to book an albergue in advance. I was never left out in the cold, and only once slept on the floor - David

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Bedlow,
This year you could see more people on every route because of "Holy Year of Mercy" (???) announced by the Pope. Primitivo numbers are rising each year but I think you should be OK in June as August is usually packed with Spanish pilgrims during their holidays.
Also it's much cheaper if you receive phone calls than calling even if you have within-EU SIM card. June/July next year EU is about to cancel roaming so no more hassle about that at last.

Ultreia!

Most read last week in this forum