• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Skip- Tui/Porrino OR Porrino/Redondela?

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I'm finalizing plans for the Portuguese camino and must skip a section. I've narrowed it down to either from Tui to Porrino, or from Porrino to Redondela. I would like opinions on which of these two stages is the better one to skip, preferring less road walking and more nature. Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm finalizing plans for the Portuguese camino and must skip a section. I've narrowed it down to either from Tui to Porrino, or from Porrino to Redondela. I would like opinions on which of these two stages is the better one to skip, preferring less road walking and more nature. Thanks!

I would walk Tui to O Porriño on the alternative route ( not the industrial part ). I was not particularly fond of the area around Mos after O Porriño to Redondela.

If you leap frog over either of these, you will not have walked the final 10o km for the compostela. However, if you are aware of this, then I would recommend skipping Tui to Porrino, UNLESS you are certain to take the alternative route, and NOT the standard route that takes you thought the industrial estates on the road into Porrino. This is sketchy as some of the locals are always vandalizing the trail markings.

IMHO, the segment from Porrino to Redondela is more esthetic that the Tui to Porrino segment. But, to each his or her own.

Hope this helps.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

porriño to redondela is all road. tui to porriño is mostly road with a couple of short but beautiful sections through whats left of the woods (careful with teh detours)

If you leap frog over either of these, you will not have walked the final 10o km for the compostela. However, if you are aware of this, then I would recommend skipping Tui to Porrino, UNLESS you are certain to take the alternative route, and NOT the standard route that takes you thought the industrial estates on the road into Porrino. This is sketchy as some of the locals are always vandalizing the trail markings.

IMHO, the segment from Porrino to Redondela is more esthetic that the Tui to Porrino segment. But, to each his or her own.

Hope this helps.
I think technically O Porriño is just over 100 km from Santiago (Brierley, for example, has it at 103.2). So if one were to skip the Tui to O Porriño section but still walk the rest, one would still qualify for the Compostela. If the section after O Porriño is skipped, the same cannot be said.

I think technically O Porriño is just over 100 km from Santiago (Brierley, for example, has it at 103.2). So if one were to skip the Tui to O Porriño section but still walk the rest, one would still qualify for the Compostela. If the section after O Porriño is skipped, the same cannot be said.

Be VERY careful about how tightly you try to shave the distance. The mileage tables in the Pilgrim Office computer are based on GPS data measured from the stairs of each town, village, or city’s main church or Cathedral. They are not subjective, and they are authoritative.

In places with no church, the distance from every municipal Albergue is recorded in the tables. They do check sellos if there is a question.

Thus, the Cathedral sello from Tui indicates you walked that distance, from there. But a sello from anywhere in Porrino will be credited as being from the church in the center of town, according to the standard table. This is 99 km NOT 100 km.

The Pilgrrim Office staff do not appreciate or negotiate with “Camino lawyers.” Some would disagree with this stance. But maintaining standards is critical to them.

The distance tables are what they are. I always recommend starting at the church, obtaining a sello there, or someplace immediately adjacent if the church does not have a sello.

So, the risk is that you could start from the edge of a city or town to walk the least possible distance. However in doing so, you may have cut it too closely. Often there are several Km from the church or Cathedral and the edge of town.

Again, be careful...caveat emptor...

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Be VERY careful about how tightly you try to shave the distance. The mileage tables in the Pilgrim Office computer are based on GPS data measured from the stairs of each town, village, or city’s main church or Cathedral. They are not subjective, and they are authoritative.

In places with no church, the distance from every municipal Albergue is recorded in the tables. They do check sellos if there is a question.

Thus, the Cathedral sello from Tui indicates you walked that distance, from there. But a sello from anywhere in Porrino will be credited as being from the church in the center of town, according to the standard table. This is 99 km NOT 100 km.

The Pilgrrim Office staff do not appreciate or negotiate with “Camino lawyers.” Some would disagree with this stance. But maintaining standards.

The distance tables are what they are. I always recommend starting at the church, obtaining a sello there, or someplace immediately adjacent if the church does not have a sello.

So, the risk is that you could start from the edge of a city or town to walk the least possible distance. However in doing so, you may have cut it too closely. Often there are several Km from the church or Cathedral and the edge of town.

Again, be careful...caveat emptor...
I had thought Tui was the place to start for 100 km but in another thread someone corrected me and said Porriño was also acceptable and I looked it up and it seemed he was right so I took the correction. If the Pilgrim Office says Porriño is 99 km I will take the correction again. I am not invested in this.

I would definitely skip o'Porrino-Redondela, and even Redondela to Arcade. The walk into and out of Tui is lovely, as is Tui itself.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back