• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Sleeping Bag/Air Mattress Questions

Multipurpose

Time of past OR future Camino
March/April (2018) maybe 2017
I am thinking of doing the Camino Frances in April/May of 2016. I have a Marmot Phantom 45 sleeping bag which is rated at 45F/7C which I was planing on taking. It weights 1 lb. 3 oz. Also I have a Thermarest Xtherm air mattress which weighs 15 oz. I have used it on backpacking trips in low 30F temps with no problem. Is a good idea taking these things at that time of year? I was thinking of taking the air mattress in case I have to sleep on a hard floor for some reason, it is very comfortable and warm.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Marmot Phantom 45 sleeping bag ...

GearHead here. Love that bag! I'd take it but probably leave the pad. Even a 3/4 thermarest z lite is 10 oz and not needed. But for 1 pound 3 oz, I'd take the bag in April.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The sleeping bag sounds fine, but leave the pad/thermarest at home. Sleeping pads are one of the first things you see to be left behind in the albergues on the first stages of the Camino ;-) Buen Camino, SY

@Multipurpose, hi

I have a small inflatable pad that copes with shoulders to near the knees and weighs 220 g (about 8 oz).

It is rolled up with my two person (me, my pack and my shoes) tent. These only go with in my pack when I will camp, such as on Thames Path and Canterbury Pilgrimage when hostel accommodation is almost non-existent.

In my (all be it limited) experience from Le Puy, hostel accommodation with real mattresses on each bed, and usually a blanket as well, carrying an air mattress/pad is not even a luxury item, it is just superfluous.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I can't think of any reason you would not have bed with mattress to sleep on in April/May. That sleeping bag sounds good. If you have cold weather you can always layer up.
Thank you Ivar, I appreciate it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum