• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snow at Roncesvalles

bkkboy

Time of past OR future Camino
In which month would I be likely to see snow walking from SJPP to Roncesvalles? Not walk in it, just see snow on the mountains. Would there be any in April or early May?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In which month would I be likely to see snow walking from SJPP to Roncesvalles? Not walk in it, just see snow on the mountains. Would there be any in April or early May?
In late April early May you will most likely see snow on the Picos de Europa and the Cordillera Cantabrica. Both to the north of the Camino Frances. And perhaps around O Cebreiro. If there is snow on the ground between St Jean and Roncesvalles take the Valcarlos route

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Depends on weather patterns. One year there was a late dusting on the Pyrenees visible from Roncesvalles on May 10!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Your chances of seeing snow covered mountain tops between SJPP and Roncesvalles in April and early May are not particularly high. There is a site with a webcam nearby where you can see the weather on every day in April and May for the last three years. The webcam is at level 1000 m and you can see the top of nearby Pic d’Orhy which is 2000 m. The majority of days are snow free.

While you walk you will never be above 1500 metres and you can only see the nearest tops which are not much higher. If they are covered with snow your path is likely to be covered with snow, too.

When the view is clear there is one point between SJPP and Roncesvalles near the statue of the Virgin Mary where you can see the higher Pyrenees further away to the east and they are snow capped. Always a majestic and beautiful sight. You have a second chance for a good view later on the way to Zubiri - but you have to turn around and look back and again only when it is not raining, not foggy and there are no low clouds. Best of luck and Buen Camino.

Last edited:
The webcam is at level 1000 m and you can see the top of nearby Pic d’Orhy which is 2000 m. The majority of days are snow free.
Just for fun, the view from the Iraty chalets on the 12th of April in 2023, 2022 and 2021. The webcam is about 20 km to the east of the Camino trail from SJPP to Roncesvalles. The Pic d’Orhy is on the right but the top is actually covered by either fog or clouds on all three occasions.
IMG_1513.jpeg
IMG_1512.jpeg
IMG_1511.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I hiked the Napoleon route from Orisson to Roncevalles on May 9, 2014 and there was still some snow in the mountains, especially near the top. No, there was no snow on the road. A hospitalero at Roncesvalles told me that they had a wet snow toward the end of April that year that caused a lot of blistering and other foot problems for pilgrims.

In my opinion, that section has some of the most beautiful scenery on the Camino. Be sure to look back towards SJPdP on the way up. Stop for lunch after you walk over the crest so you can enjoy the view and think about what the next 30 days or so will bring.

As others have said - it varies. In a year I never forget, (I walked twice that year) 7.April 2016 I started in Sjpdp. The day before it was sunny and fairly warm, but the next morning it was cold, wet and the napoleon was closed. Walked in cold rain, which changed into warm & sunny and then suddenly into a ferocious snowstorm. Me and a french guy changed into everything we had, gloves, facemask, poncho and rain pants. It was a massive feat of endurance the last hour coming into Roncevalles and Burguete during a snowstorm. So you never know. The next morning I woke up in Burguete to 40cm of snow outside.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back